Trail Tailor Offerings (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The silver rig is on 33s and @Kleatus (white rig) would have to chime in on his set up. IIRC he has a 1" body lift as well.

J
Yup, mine's the white one. 33x10.5, and has a 1" body lift. I have the 0-660Lb springs in the rear. I've got about 5,000 miles on it now, no complaints.

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL!!!!!!!...... I sold several DIY kits (60 and 80 series) they were welded out by ?????? and a few were re-sold as T-T bumpers that were supposed to have been built by me... s*** welds, internal structural parts were missing, welded one side only.... PURE crap and guys tried to come back on me.... So I WILL NEVER MAKE ANOTHER DIY KIT!

CHEAP NON-SKILLED SCANDALOUS BASTARDS RUINED THAT PRODUCT FOR EVERYONE!

One guy even started reproducing the parts in a thinner material as well...

Sorry,

Jason

Solid dude. Stick to your guns.

One of the reasons I'm no longer a "public" vendor is because of s*** like this.

Or...
IMG_7503.JPG

"The latest shipment of DIY bumpers have arrived and are ready for delivery to your local shipping port for pickup! Extremely customizable! Fits any model of Cruiser, front or rear!"

Someone would still want a refund though.

Too bad people had to be that way..

Solid dude. Stick to your guns.

One of the reasons I'm no longer a "public" vendor is because of s*** like this.

O,

The past 3.5 years have proven a lot to me in the realm of customer practices and behaviors. I've always had customers for the most part. But Trail Tailor has had the most out of the 3 businesses I've owned with the least amount of overall sales. Roughly 500% more invoices per year than the others combined.

Anymore if someone asks for a "deal" etc... I've started to not reply or tack on X% right off the bat. Then if they say they can get it for $$ from ??... I say knock yourself out. Reason; one, I doubt they can and two, its not the same product 99.9% of the time. So, why should I have to deal?

This is why the Rover crowd and my overseas clients are getting more and more attention from me. They will pay for quality and service without the headaches and constant discount inquiries. This usually only happens with my bumpers, sliders and racks. Standard offerings are never an issue with price, but for the most part, I'm a little less for similar products offered out there.

I've continued to try and source the best products and negotiate the best deals I can with the end-user in mind... but this may start to fade sooner than later.

Everyone is looking for a good price, it's the American/Walmart way now and has been for quite some time. Maybe I should do exactly what Amazon has done for the past few years. 60-120 days before "PRIME DAY" they start trickling the prices up; some to the tune of 40% they started out at. Then they offer 20-30% off and still make an additional 10-25% over their regular prices. They understand how the American consumer mind works and take advantage of it. "Prime Day" is one of the most profitable days for Amazon and the American thought process is they are getting one hell of a "deal".

On another note, since I've offered a few coupons this year I constantly get emails wanting to know when my next "sale" will be. So moving forward... NO MORE "sales events". If the products don't sell on their own, I'll just discontinue them and never come back to them like I've done in the past with a few others. So now its on the consumer to keep them going.

I honestly make more (% wise) off of my large "volume sales" than I do off of one-off custom bumpers. That is just an economic blunder in the world of sales. It should be the other way around from everything I've ever seen, read reports and books on or been taught.

At the end of the day, it's those handful of guys that are truly excited about my products that make it worth while for me to continue on with Trail Tailor. Plus as stated before, I'm not sure what I would do with my time if I didn't do this. I guess start taking high blood pressure and anxiety meds again and go back to the oil and gas sector... HA!

Off box now.

J

Last edited:
I know exactly what you speak of.

My days of pandering to someone just for a sale are over-- I cannot sustain the business if I pandered to every dude who calls wanting a discount.

The irony is that I've witnessed some of the same behaviors and attitudes: it's ok for someone else to make a living, but it's seemingly not ok for folks like us--whom quite clearly support the community with both technical knowledge and support--to make a living? This is disingenuous and hypocritical.

This type of hypocrisy is why I am just not dealing with 90% of inquiries anymore.

The moment anyone says "discount" or "I can find it cheaper at XXX", is the moment I stop replying or answering the phone. They get put on the junk email address list or become a blocked phone number.

It's just not worth it to waste my time. when I have many people who appreciate the level of expertise folks like you and me provide for an aspect of their lives that is ostensibly important.

Or, in the end, my business model is not sustainable and I should just shut things down.... this option is becoming more and more a possible future unfortunately. Harsh but I guess it's a good learning experience in the end.

I just hope I can still get bumpers and sliders from you for my HJ61 when the time is right for me.. my build is a slow project.. (looking at years) but you have the best bumpers and sliders out there and your work ethic is the best in the LC world. I'll pay for the quality work because I know it's money well spent.

I wish I could pull the trigger on that lift kit you have for sale now. But the timing just isn't right. Keep up the good work !

I just hope I can still get bumpers and sliders from you for my HJ61 when the time is right for me.. my build is a slow project.. (looking at years) but you have the best bumpers and sliders out there and your work ethic is the best in the LC world. I'll pay for the quality work because I know it's money well spent.

I wish I could pull the trigger on that lift kit you have for sale now. But the timing just isn't right. Keep up the good work !

I don't plan on shutting down and still plan to offer custom build bumpers but the prices will be increased upon my new start-up. I will have standardized offerings that will be offered and "stocked" as well. These products will be none negotiable and what you see is what you get. I'll be able to make a run and have them boxed and ready to ship upon ordering. I'm making this type of product for 2 of my overseas clients currently.

I also plan to continue on with Tough Dog and my TourFlex kits for the coiled rigs. It just sucks that leaf sprung rigs cost so much more to put a new suspension on. The 60 series has always been my true cruiser love and I don't ever see that changing. So the 60 kits will stay for sure.

But, plan to see more non-cruiser offerings with the reduction/discontinuation in some cruiser products starting very soon from me.

J

I know exactly what you speak of.

My days of pandering to someone just for a sale are over-- I cannot sustain the business if I pandered to every dude who calls wanting a discount.

The irony is that I've witnessed some of the same behaviors and attitudes: it's ok for someone else to make a living, but it's seemingly not ok for folks like us--whom quite clearly support the community with both technical knowledge and support--to make a living.

This type of hypocrisy is why I am just not dealing with 90% of inquiries anymore.

The moment anyone says "discount" or "I can find it cheaper at XXX", is the moment I stop replying or answering the phone. They get put on the junk email address list or become a blocked phone number.

It's just not worth it to waste my time. when I have many people who appreciate the level of expertise folks like you and me provide for an aspect of their lives that is ostensibly important.

Or, in the end, my business model is not sustainable and I should just shut things down.... this option is becoming more and more a possible future unfortunately. Harsh but I guess it's a good learning experience in the end.

We both know companies that have devoted themselves to cruisers/other things and are so far in they can't get out, or allow themselves to get out. It's more of a pride/legacy thing than anything else. At the end of the day they'd be doing themselves and potential customers a pure service to just shutdown. They have others running their business and they are there occasionally as the poster child for what remains of a past reputable business that is getting a bad rep from the current day consumer. Times change and so do people.

Change is good and inevitable.

J

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL!!!!!!!...... I sold several DIY kits ...

Wow. I know there's a lot of sketchy people out there but have never really encountered them in Cruiser-land.... Usually it's Craigslist that's the Wild Wild West... I once was even asked to wait in front of a guy's house while he finished having sex.

I didn't.

And in my rear-view mirror, I saw him standing in the street, naked. Arms akimbo.

Really.

Some things you just can't forget.

i second drenmaster when i say id way rather support you and you quality over buying from big faceless corporations. the personal support and care you have (and quality you stand behind) is way more valuable to me. in reality you still sell for less than i'd expect you to and have then offered at times discounts on shipping i felt bad agreeing to!! i'm glad you're sticking to your guns on "deals" for the sake of your reputation because those of us who have purchased from you know that if we buy from you we don't have to worry about quality! that's a given. i'm still going to have you build me a roof rack when i come up on your wait list and am willing to wait for those reasons. please make sure i'm still on your list ;)

Last edited:
OK so now that we have established Jason is an awesome guy and kicks ass. Plus he is a master welder (I have seen his work and it is beyond impressive). Add the fact that he goes the extra mile for his clients, increasing his store and branching out to new vehicles (did I read Land Rover?)

The question now is when are you moving and when do you estimate to be back up and running. I we all need a few things like a rebuilt PS gearbox, but like everyone else am not in a rush.

So everyone wants to know is when is the shop back up and running and or when do you think you will be at a point to start selling off your store again?

BTW I will have to paint that skid plate and mount it. I have tripped over it countless times , tripped yes as it looks like a skid plate for a tank.

OK so now that we have established Jason is an awesome guy and kicks ass. Plus he is a master welder (I have seen his work and it is beyond impressive). Add the fact that he goes the extra mile for his clients, increasing his store and branching out to new vehicles (did I read Land Rover?)

The question now is when are you moving and when do you estimate to be back up and running. I we all need a few things like a rebuilt PS gearbox, but like everyone else am not in a rush.

So everyone wants to know is when is the shop back up and running and or when do you think you will be at a point to start selling off your store again?

BTW I will have to paint that skid plate and mount it. I have tripped over it countless times , tripped yes as it looks like a skid plate for a tank.

Yes Land Rovers. I own 2 Defender 90s, 1 Defender 110 and a few RRCs. With plans to buy another Disco 1 and 2 and a LR3 for further R&D. Cruisers are not the only thing I build for. Rovers make up as much of my sales as cruisers. Once we get moved and Andrea has time to update the website you will see Rover products in the next page over. Not to mention countless Dodge and Ford truck bumpers and racks for the locals. Anyone that's been to my shop sees I'm not just into cruisers. I'm an equal opportunity ENABLER.

Quite a few products are still available on the website and they will continue to be during the move. Shipping times will be reduced from daily to up to two weeks during the main move but we will update the store when that happens. We will make our first run to CA in about 2 weeks. We are trying to plan this first trip around when my plasma table, forklift, compressor and air dryer system will be delivered. The moving company will be here the second week in October to pack and box up the warehouse across town. They say it will take a week with 8 workers. I haven't seen the back 2000 sq ft of that place in 8 years. It will all be put into a new rented storage warehouse in Redding. I really want to be there for some of that but Andrea has forbidden me to come and poke around. I'll want all of it where I can get to it if I show up. I have new cruiser, rover, scout and E-bronco parts that have been discontinued for years in there.

When will I start taking orders again for bumpers, etc...?
I'm hoping for mid-November, but that will be determined when the shop is to my liking. I've had my new shop floor plan drawn out for a few months now and I want everything locating in its appropriate designed space first. Nothing like walking/working around something day in and day out.

As far as me being an awesome guy, I appreciate that. I just treat people the way I want to be treated and see their money as if it where mine making the purchase.

J

Wow, Looks like I've missed a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom