Trail Hitch Towing and Recovery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at ordering a trail hitch towing and recovery for my LC200. Is it important? Are their companies to look at? Are their certain things to look for?

I've seen a few up in Vermont and New Hampshire and was curious what the Ih8Mud thinks.

Yup that is what I was looking at but figured I'd ask the forums if it was a worth while purchase.

While you don’t strictly need one, they are pretty useful. If you carry a hitch pin, you can always hook it directly through the loop of a snatch strap, but it is really nice having a convenient recovery point back there.

Out of all of my recovery points and winch, it is the one that gets used most And it’s not really close.

As far as vendors, you can’t go wrong with Factor55.

I heard or read somewhere that recovery should not be accomplished with the trailer hitch area as it cannot handle the extreme yanking weight/motion that sometimes happens when pulling someone out of mud etc. Is this true?

OP, try to find one that has the hitch pin hole drilled vertical and horizontal, so the adapter can be turned sideways and d-ring loaded properly in the rare event that is necessary.

My only gripe about the factor55 part is they don’t do this on the 2” adapter, but do on their 2.5 and 3” models.

I heard or read somewhere that recovery should not be accomplished with the trailer hitch area as it cannot handle the extreme yanking weight/motion that sometimes happens when pulling someone out of mud etc. Is this true?
As long as you are using a dynamic recovery rope or strap it should be more than strong enough. Far stronger than any bolt-on recovery point, I’d assume, based on a few years of metal fabrication experience.

Its probably one of the best options if not the best.

OP, try to find one that has the hitch pin hole drilled vertical and horizontal, so the adapter can be turned sideways and d-ring loaded properly in the rare event that is necessary.

My only gripe about the factor55 part is they don’t do this on the 2” adapter, but do on their 2.5 and 3” models.

As long as you are using a dynamic recovery rope or strap it should be more than strong enough. Far stronger than any bolt-on recovery point, I’d assume, based on a few years of metal fabrication experience.
Just to clarify, you should never use a tow ball or any other towing attachment for recovery.
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

That may be for bolt on hitches? The tow hitch on the 200 series land cruiser is a part of the frame and is very sturdy.

That may be for bolt on hitches? The tow hitch on the 200 series land cruiser is a part of the frame and is very sturdy.
Good call.

+1 on Factor 55. Unfortunately, it only mounts one way, so no way to rotate 90 degrees.

I have an aluminum one with vertical and horizontal holes. Have used it with kinetic rope.

I have also used this to recover another vehicle with the winch where they had a hitch receiver.... rather than look for a point to attach to I just plugged in the recovery hitch on their Jeep and winched them out.

I have an aluminum one with vertical and horizontal holes.
Same, some generic aluminum one from Amazon. As soon as F55 makes one that is cross drilled I’ll upgrade.

I got this one a week ago. Had a steel rhino version before which worked fine for hard shackles. Haven’t had the chance to use new one for a recovery. It’s a block of aluminum. Finish good, fit is a tiny bit loose, but not enough to worry about. has nice radius for soft shackles, it was the last piece in my ongoing quest to be entirely soft.
Still carrying one steel shackle for assists in other rigs.
Ive also started carrying an extra hitch pin, as I had a recovery where they had a hitch but no pin. Much easier to put the pin in than strap the frame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom