Trail Carnage/Lessons Learned from recent trip to Corolla (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, just like the title states, I will list my trail carnage and lessons learned from our recent trip.

First the trail carnage, nothing major but still preparation is the key:

1. Headlight bulb busted due to water/dirt.
2. Condenser bent, dent, and some pins need to be straighten out.
3. Water in the ARB lenses.
4. Rear cargo carpet wet/stinks
5. Watertemp guage peg to the hot mark.

Lessons learned:

1. Communications/CB (a MUST and vital for a large group from the leader to the last guy on trail, remember me and Frank quickly got separated from the group and I felt like an idiot :eek: hunting on both FRS and CB radio to locate you guys)
2. Skidplate (install them if you have them)
3. Snorkel (again, install them if you have them)
4. Drive slowly on the deep water to prevent making a wave/bow which push the water to the engine compartment.
5. Bring or wear a raingear/wader in case get stuck on deep water.
6. Have map or GPS equipped with topographic data to see where we at on the trail.
6. Upon entrance to the beach, deplate tires from 8 to 15 PSI to ensure that will float on sands and prevent stress on drivetrain.
7. Pre and Post lubricate driveshaft joints to get that muddy water off of the needle bearing.
8. CB antennas should be mounted in the ARB bar vice on the roof. I have some scratches from the magnet mount when we hit those low lying tree branches.

Overall, it was great and I had a blast from that trip and would love to do it again. But next time, we are all prepared and ready for combat:grinpimp:

Okay, post up your trail carnage and lessons learned. I know you guys got some on your list. Happy Trailing:cheers::bounce::bounce2:

Subscribed.

Be interested if there was a lot of this going on.:D

IMG_3202.jpg

great post

1. My carnage is a leaky seal out of my pinion on my rear diff.
2. I had water in my front turn signals but it didn't kill anything.
3. I need to change all my fluids after that run.
4. Need to extend breathers.
I plan on buying a cb.

Hey Marshall this is a video my wife did with the digital camera. https://72.218.63.67/midatlantic/wesley/MOV05911.MPG some other people have video but have not posted up. More pics here https://forum.ih8mud.com/va-nc-mid-...hampton-roads-coastal-carolina-toyotas-9.html. We only had a few problems out there. The one that took the longest was someone getting lost.:hillbilly:

attachment.php

cDSC05903.jpg

We had this guy with us. To bad I didn't get to see it in any water.
cDSC05893.JPG
cDSC05903.jpg
cDSC05893.JPG

Last edited:
Subscribed.

Be interested if there was a lot of this going on.:D

IMG_3202.jpg

You bogged down on two inches of water:flipoff2:? You don't need a snorkel for that:grinpimp:

great post

1. My carnage is a leaky seal out of my pinion on my rear diff.
2. I had water in my front turn signals but it didn't kill anything.
3. I need to change all my fluids after that run.
4. Need to extend breathers.
I plan on buying a cb.

We had this guy with us. To bad I didn't get to see it in any water.
View attachment 293816

How to heck y'all washed those cruisers for a couple days inside and out. That salt water will destroy a 40 in no time flat.

Your a lot braver than me. I stayed away form the water as much as possible.

Looks like fun. Let me know when y'all go again. :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:
How to heck y'all washed those cruisers for a couple days inside and out. That salt water will destroy a 40 in no time flat.

Your a lot braver than me. I stayed away form the water as much as possible.

Looks like fun. Let me know when y'all go again. :beer:

It won't kill my fiberglass tub, but good luck to my frame. I do have a electronic rust preventor that I think helps.

I'm thinking this is not pure salt water. Those horses have to drink something. Those puddles are about 1/4 mile off the beach, so they are rain water. Only means of salt would be from the sand if it had it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/va-nc-mid-...association/264232-spring-corolla-corral.html

I just pulled the flange off my rear diff. Milky oil is coming out.

Last edited:
It won't kill my fiberglass tub, but good luck to my frame. I do have a electronic rust preventor that I think helps.

I'm thinking this is not pure salt water. Those horses have to drink something. Those puddles are about 1/4 mile off the beach, so they are rain water. Only means of salt would be from the sand if it had it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/va-nc-mid-...association/264232-spring-corolla-corral.html

I just pulled the flange off my rear diff. Milky oil is coming out.

Wes, you are correct, that water is rain water and not salt water. We are too far away from the ocean to have salt water on those holes unless there were big tidal waves/tsunami before we got there. And the salts that you have on our truck is from the sands where we drove by the shoreline.

Glad it was raining that day and there's some puddles on the road which help in cleaning the salts on our wheelwells. I washed my truck the next day and pressure washed the underside of the truck from one of the car wash.

Looks like your using the submarine technology of fighting corrosion using the impressed cathodic and anodic protection, eh.

Looks like your using the submarine technology of fighting corrosion using the impressed cathodic and anodic protection, eh.

Subs use zinc blocks as sacrificial anodes. No electrics. They do seem to work for the Navy. Their are some electric ones that have that sacrificial anode but not mine. I've heard some surface ships have tried the electric ones.

Last edited:
You bogged down on two inches of water:flipoff2:? You don't need a snorkel for that:grinpimp:

Lol I told him to go slow. But no he had to hit it at 20mph to make a big splash. We finally got him started 30 min later.

Lol I told him to go slow. But no he had to hit it at 20mph to make a big splash. We finally got him started 30 min later.

That's my problem, I like to make a scene ... Stupid, but fun, actually not really, I'll stop ... hahaha

I have milk coming from my pinion yoke also, hopefully my locker doesn't rust up before I get to change it ...

Good post Noel, when you get to come out to chesapeake with me, you will cry ....

-Joshua

How did the water gets in there? Did it pass through both axle seals?
It came in right there around the pinion. It could be in all your axles through the breather. Mine leaked out when I got back through the pinion seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom