TPMS on trailer wheels... will car recognize them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a little trailer for camping. It has 6 lug wheels to match a 4-runner. I would like to swap the trailer brake/hubs to match the bolt pattern for LC200 wheels so I don't need to carry a separate spare. Seems easy enough to do. I thought I could just move the trailer wheels into the rotation pattern along with the LC wheels - up until I got to thinking about TPMS.

I can put TPMS sensors in the trailer wheels. I know the LC doesn't have a way of displaying more than the five wheels it currently sees. How do you register new TPMS sensors into the car? Does it automatically sense them based on location?

Thanks for taking the time to help me sanity check before I start building things out.

Some report Techstream can program TPMS, some report that they couldn't get it to work. I can confirm that the Carista app (annual cost) and OBDII dongle work to load TPMS sensor IDs into the truck.

Not sure when it started, but in 2017+ the system will automatically sense where they are installed once the IDs are entered. Confirmed by me after an at home tire/wheel swap.

I don't "think" there would be a problem with trailer wheels and TPMS as long as they weren't entered in the system. But say you had a flat and the spare got moved to the trailer. That might cause a missing sensor error if the wheel now on the trailer is too far from the truck's sensor receiver - make sense?

The system will only allow 5 IDs to be registered. If you add the two trailer wheels, you’ll need to pick which two wheels on the cruiser you want to delete, which doesn’t make a lot of sense as you’d want to add them back when you drop the trailer.

if you’re dead set on TPMS for your trailer, you could experiment with some of the stand alone trailer TPMS systems. There’s a few on Amazon that look pretty highly rated.

I don’t want to Monitor the trailer I want to swap the wheels during rotation including the trailer... so instead of rotating 5 it’s 7

I have techstream so it sounds like it’s doable

I don’t want to Monitor the trailer I want to swap the wheels during rotation including the trailer... so instead of rotating 5 it’s 7

I have techstream so it sounds like it’s doable
See whether your techstream will get into the TPMS utility screen for programming. If so swapping IDs with tire rotation would be feasible.
I suspect TPMS functionality is correlated with whether your techstream will display live data, as my original cheap cable would read and reset codes but couldn’t show data nor deal with TPMS. The VCX diagnostic system I replaced it with will.

The VXDiag VCX Nano is recommended if you want to program TPMS sensors. This is a good thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom