TPMS disarm (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I opted to jump the blue wire and a black/white (ground).

It seems to be working.

I used an inch or so of welding wire, added some heatshrink, then inserted the wire on the harness side of the white connector. I used needle nose pliers to really jam it in there.
I taped it up again, that may help.

Lets hope it holds....

But it works today.
PXL_20210103_220016024.jpg

I opted to jump the blue wire and a black/white (ground).

It seems to be working.

I used an inch or so of welding wire, added some heatshrink, then inserted the wire on the harness side of the white connector. I used needle nose pliers to really jam it in there.
I taped it up again, that may help.

Lets hope it holds....

But it works today.

@sandcruiser -Thanks!! How this worked long term for you?

A simple jumper to ground on the plug seems like the easiest, most reversible option. For those of us that have green or other modules that can use the ground trick.

@sandcruiser -Thanks!! How this worked long term for you?

A simple jumper to ground on the plug seems like the easiest, most reversible option. For those of us that have green or other modules that can use the ground trick.
It still works as of June 2021 (6 months later).

I've been debating undoing it as I got the tpms rebuilt when I got new tires in ~feb..... but I don't really feel like tpms on/off is useful to me. If it gave me the actual psi of each tire, I'd be much more interested.

by "undo" I mean adding a switch instead of just a jumper, so that I can toggle it on/off when I air down for offroad..... but mostly I have other projects in which I'd rather invest time!

It still works as of June 2021 (6 months later).

I've been debating undoing it as I got the tpms rebuilt when I got new tires in ~feb..... but I don't really feel like tpms on/off is useful to me. If it gave me the actual psi of each tire, I'd be much more interested.

by "undo" I mean adding a switch instead of just a jumper, so that I can toggle it on/off when I air down for offroad..... but mostly I have other projects in which I'd rather invest time!

Agreed! I've never been able to make and of the OBD readers show per-tire pressure. If that worked I'd be much more inclined to actually use TPMS.

Figured this out for the 07+ GX (the TPMS indicator circuit is different). Reading some of the other forums (T4R, Tacomaworld) I saw people having the same problem with newer Toyotas as the 07+ GX, ie grounding the blue wire going to the dash indicator light (or in their case it is pink/black) did not work. So one or two people tried connecting the blue wire to 5V and it worked. I pulled out my multimeter and confirmed the green/red stripe wire right next to the blue wire on the same connector was 5V (double confirmed by the 04 connector diagram I have as well - it's the Tire Pressure receiver power source). I tapped (I didn't cut) 5V off the green/red stripe wire, connected it to the blue wire going to the dash and the light went off!

TLDR: For the 07+ GX instead of grounding the blue wire you tap 5V off the green/red stripe wire right next to it in the connector and connect them. I appreciate your reply and this info very much! Took like 10 mins start to finish and worked flawlessly on my 09 470. Thanks again!

I need to do this!

My tpms light is weird [or maybe it is normal?]

I can drive for a month or 2 and say 1-2k miles and the light never comes on. But if I drive non stop for 60 miles the light flashes.
I know I am raising this from the dead but this is the only post I have found that mentioned the exact same thing that I experience. I register all 5 of the ID’s on brand new Denso sensors, and all will remain fine for the short work commute for several weeks. Then on a weekend for a long drive at freeway speed and a good distance, the tpms flashes. Error code says that it lost communication with all of the sensors. Then I rinse and repeat. Changed the valve stem caps to plastic cause I have heard metal type caps can cause interference. Nope not the issue. Have a good used receiver/antenna but looks like a chore to get to in the headliner. Anyone else run into this exact scenario? What was your fix?
TIA

2005 GX

2008 GX470 TPMS disable

I pulled the red box under the glovebox apart and connected the blue & green/red wires inside the control module. I opted to not solder but just “clamp” the two wires together with solid wire.
IMG_7555.jpeg

I ordered new 315/70R17 tires and wheels for my 2006 GX470. The quote includes $240 for new TPMS sensors.

I was wondering if I should just use the old sensors or simply delete sensors altogether when I found this thread. Perhaps I’m missing it, but nowhere in the thread is it explained why the TPMS fails. Can someone share that info or point me to a discussion.

I ordered new 315/70R17 tires and wheels for my 2006 GX470. The quote includes $240 for new TPMS sensors.

I was wondering if I should just use the old sensors or simply delete sensors altogether when I found this thread. Perhaps I’m missing it, but nowhere in the thread is it explained why the TPMS fails. Can someone share that info or point me to a discussion.
Well, it's not the system that fails, it's the sensor(s) as they get older (7 years or more). Your choice is to either 1) replace the sensors for $240 or 2) to disable the system as this thread suggests.

Well, it's not the system that fails, it's the sensor(s) as they get older (7 years or more). Your choice is to either 1) replace the sensors for $240 or 2) to disable the system as this thread suggests.
I see. I think TPMS is useful when it supplies real time PSI for each tire. Otherwise I don’t think it provides much value. So I’ll disable it. Thanks!

I see. I think TPMS is useful when it supplies real time PSI for each tire. Otherwise I don’t think it provides much value. So I’ll disable it. Thanks!
I'm considering the same option - just disable it as it is rather unspecific and useless. There are aftermarket TPMS monitors you can install that give you pressure in each tire: Amazon product ASIN B0BJZWR41DAmazon product ASIN B0C9R29W4Vand some other options.

I'm considering the same option - just disable it as it is rather unspecific and useless. There are aftermarket TPMS monitors you can install that give you pressure in each tire: Amazon product ASIN B0BJZWR41DAmazon product ASIN B0C9R29W4Vand some other options.
These look interesting. May try them out especially since anything purchased on Amazon during the holiday shopping season is returnable until the end of January so effectively 60 days to try it out.

Well, did this last night but didn't check the switch first... was absolutely painless. On the 2004, no need to pull the glovebox, just 1 screw and drop the under glovebox cover. Interesting how the 100 series doesn't have this glovebox pan.. neither did the old 60, obviously. Appreciate the great post.

Also, you guys soldering on the board are hilarious. Can you all come over and help me finish welding up and painting my sliders and rear bumper ?!?

Also, you guys soldering on the board are hilarious. Can you all come over and help me finish welding up and painting my sliders and rear bumper ?!?
Hahaha. Yeah, I wish I had as much time now as I did when I soldered the TPMS on my 470. I did the TPMS bypass on my 460 last year and just jumped the harness with a small piece of wire and zip tied it in place. Can't believe I wasted time removing the box and soldering the board on my 470. Live and learn.

I was going to Delete, but my Wife has a Habit of Unintentionally Airing Down and not Going Off Road.
I used Rockauto for New Sensors ($135) and Paid China*Mart to Mount Sensors.
**Remind them they do not have to Break Bead or Balance Tires. Just push down tire at Stem.
Then I programmed using Friends Techstream (Which is awesome).
Now she atleast tells me when the Light is Lit.
Make sure you take a Picture of each sensor as you need to Input the Serial Numbers in Techstream.
**I'd only Use the Denso Sensors and DO NOT BUY the KNOCKOFFS on Ebay or you deserve the Frustration when the Batteries Fail. I was Tempted.

Remember, in school - when the test instructions read: “Read ALL instructions before starting”? You didn’t… and ended up screwing the pooch?

I can confirm that this works on a 2008 model. I ended up soldering the appropriate terminals together but not BEFORE I had cut a wire. Doh!

I am used to working with small electronic parts in vintage amps, preamps but these tiny automotive wires drive me nuts.

As an aside… I ordered 4 x new preprogrammed sensors. I called around and all three shops said I had to replace all five at the same time and that the preprogrammed ones don’t work. Does anyone smell something??

Thanks to all the posters who contributed to this DIY mod/repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom