TPMS disarm (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One the first things I did when I got home after getting my new GX470 was to disarm the TPMS. I initially tried airing up all five tires and the thing was still blinking, driving me crazy (OCD). I know people have posted links but I decided to take pics of the process. It took all of 15 minutes. First, I removed the glove box and the panel underneath will drop down. You'll see two boxes and the green one closest to you will be the TPMS junction. Unplug it and look for the blue wire. I removed the black tape and cut the wire about 1 1/2 inches away from the connector. With the key in the Acc position when you cut the wire the light on the dash will remain lit solid. Then get another piece of wire about 6 inches long and tie it in to the harness side of the wire. Crimp a loop connector on the other side. There is a metal box up and to the side that has a screw that works as a good ground. Crimp a butt connector on the blue wire coming out of the TPMS module and tuck it back. Re tape everything and plug the connector back in. Turn the key back to ACC and light should go off. If you ever want to re-connect you can just remove the ground wire and connect the original pieces with the butt connector.

20161231_180515.jpg

20161231_180806.jpg

20161231_180938.jpg

20161231_183729.jpg

First....this is awesome! I have one question.....does the wire get grounded from the harness side or the plug going into the ecu?

You want to ground the harness side. The blue wire that goes back into the harness is the one you want to ground. Leave yourself some wire on the plug side in case you to hook it back up in the future.

I have "heard" it doesn't work on all model years of the GX. Can anyone confirm?

Hoping it would work on my 07 GX

Worked on my '04, I've only ever heard the wire colors are different from 4Runners, etc, not that it didn't work on certain years of GX.

I initially tried airing up all five tires and the thing was still blinking, driving me crazy (OCD).

FYI that likely means you have a bad sensor. If it was alerting for low pressure, the light would be solid.

FYI that likely means you have a bad sensor. If it was alerting for low pressure, the light would be solid.

This is the right way to correct the problem and what I would normally do 99.9% of the time but wow do I HATE TPMS systems so I am grateful to have come across this thread! This is not something that normally gets figured out.

20170121_145553.jpg
I'm scratching my head. I think I have it set up right but tpms light is still on.
04 GX

Looks like you need to connect your ground wire to the blue wire that goes back into the harness. Also, make sure you have a good ground.

Looks like you need to connect your ground wire to the blue wire that goes back into the harness. Also, make sure you have a good ground.
I appreciate your input and will be very grateful if this gets fixed.

This is what i did...I connected a wire to the cut blue wire that goes into the white harness...this white harness plugs into the green box. The other end of the wire was ground to the recommended screw in your post. The other blue cut wire that runs up into the dash was left alone. Is this right? Please spell it out for me if I'm missing something?

You did it backwards....You cut the blue wire. You connected the ground to the part of the blue wire going into the green box. You need to disconnect that and attach your ground wire to the OTHER end of the blue wire you cut. That is the part that is going back into the harness.

You did it backwards....You cut the blue wire. You connected the ground to the part of the blue wire going into the green box. You need to disconnect that and attach your ground wire to the OTHER end of the blue wire you cut. That is the part that is going back into the harness.
Thank you for clarifying, and I really appreciate the help.

Figured this out for the 07+ GX (the TPMS indicator circuit is different). Reading some of the other forums (T4R, Tacomaworld) I saw people having the same problem with newer Toyotas as the 07+ GX, ie grounding the blue wire going to the dash indicator light (or in their case it is pink/black) did not work. So one or two people tried connecting the blue wire to 5V and it worked. I pulled out my multimeter and confirmed the green/red stripe wire right next to the blue wire on the same connector was 5V (double confirmed by the 04 connector diagram I have as well - it's the Tire Pressure receiver power source). I tapped (I didn't cut) 5V off the green/red stripe wire, connected it to the blue wire going to the dash and the light went off!

TLDR: For the 07+ GX instead of grounding the blue wire you tap 5V off the green/red stripe wire right next to it in the connector and connect them.

It would have been nice to know that a couple weeks ago, would have saved me $140 on the new TPMS sensors for my new wheels. ;)

With that said, thanks for doing the research and sharing the info.

Has anybody had luck actually fixing these TPMS systems? When I bought my '07 the previous owner said it just needed a new sensor. So I had all 5 sensors replaced and it just blinks then stays on. Bought a Techstream cable off Amazon and updated all the sensor ID's and nothing. The TPMS system wont read them at all. My China Techstream also has a hell of a time connecting to the TPMS system. From looking at the parts diagrams, there is the little box under the glove box, and also the sensor up in front of the sun roof.

^Did you have the new sensors programmed into your system. Replacing w/ new requires reprogramming.

did the ground wire today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom