Toyota Tacoma Locker Situation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
maybe there's a thread covering this already, but i couldn't find it.
I have a 98 Taco. this isn't a crawler.

I just want it to be a beast at expedition.

I'm at a crossroads.

Ive got new gears for it, 4.56's, should I get a rear locker?

or should i invest locker assets elsewhere?

I need some pros and cons...

I have the TRD with the rear e-locker and it can make a HUGE difference in traction.
For expedition, I'd be sure to have a winch too.

Well which do you call priority one? Locker or winch. And just an aside my locker won't be the elocker.

The winch can get you thru or over what the locker wouldn't or couldn't.
Also the winch can help others that may get in a situation or move a tree out of the trail.

I think the winch is more versatile. Just my .02 which is to say I don't do expeditions but I have the luxury of both the e-locker and winch - Just in case...

I think the locker at least for me, with no real reasons, became my next step. I do agree about the versatility of a winch for yourself and others. I think I'm leaning winch.

Ive got new gears for it, 4.56's, should I get a rear locker?

And just an aside my locker won't be the elocker.

Why, on earth wouldn't it? :confused:

You've got gears and unless you get a winch you're gonna put open diffs right back in it? :confused:

You know why you change a rear main seal when you do a clutch job? B/c you're already there... Tearing out a perfictly good tranny to get to a $4 seal is absurd.

E Lockers (selectable) can be cheap, and they will give you the best on-road and off-road performance...

Forget the ARB stuff here, look at what selectable's do, and they ride just as smooth on-road as the diff you have right now...

Air Locker vs LSD vs Traction Control Part 1

ARB Airlocker Operation Demo

On the other stuff, just thinking out loud...

You're not gonna get a good winch and winch bumper for 2-$400 like you can a locker... A winch bolted to the front of your truck will prolly kill a few MPG's... And I'm not sure but I think to this day, electric winches are still not rated for continues duty. So the cheaper the winch, I guarantee the shorter it will last. A hydro MileMarker will pull you all the way home, provided the engine or a hydro pump is still running. And depending on where you're at at the time, there might not be anything to hook a winch to. You gonna carry an anchor around with you at all times?

If you do a lot of on-road driving, and can't even change your oil you won't want a pocket locker anyway. IMO even a full case locker would ride like poo when driven mostly on the street. And although a pocket locker will add a LOT of capability to your truck, at some point will need to be replaced or serviced. Plus, I'd never pay anyone to install these things (unless doing gears at the same time). It can be done DIY. So that saves a few hounded off the bat.

Last edited:
Why, on earth wouldn't it? :confused:

You've got gears and unless you get a winch you're gonna put open diffs right back in it? :confused:

You know why you change a rear main seal when you do a clutch job? B/c you're already there... Tearing out a perfictly good tranny to get to a $4 seal is absurd.

This is why i was going to do the locker. i got the diffs in my garage why not put a locker in the rear now and then when im laying under my truck in a month, installing, im not saying damn i shoulda put the locker in when i had the chance. it seems a level headed thing.

but the winch has its strong points. where can i get an elocker cheap? that would solve some problemos. and clear some air.

That's a q I'm afraid you'll have to find out for yourself.

Many ppl here have bragged about finding them from $75.

IIRC, Extreme 4x4 got theirs for $150? Or $200... I'd pay up to $400 (with gears) if I had to.

I'd get the carrier and ditch the E stuff if it was me. Downey had a cable lock that some didn't like, but I have a feeling they weren't letting it mesh it. With the E you just flip a switch and drive... I guess you poo the more simpler thing b/c it's not as easy as complicated wiring and a light switch. :meh:

TRD/Downey conversion

Hilux
has some points - if your diff is already apart, install a locker while you're there - or you'll most likely be doing it later anyway.

The winch is like a seatbelt, there when you need it and as WARN winches advertises to "go prepared".

I have only used my winch 2x since it was installed 18mths ago but I like the fact it's there. BUT here in Missouri there are ALWAYS trees to winch to - unlike some of the other trails you may encounter.

Ultimately it's your decision which sounds like it's based on $, time, and effort in getting exactly what you want your rig to be capable of.

Good luck!

I have had to replace my E-locker once. It will only be replaced once. After that it is getting an ARB.

You'll never break an ARB, but if you don't wheel enough to find out, you'll never know. But sadly I've seen ELockers... I know of at least one guy that broke both his on an 80 in one trip...

Plus, you talk about fractions! I swear I wish ARB's were cheaper...

In fact I just got a Petersens and ARB is running a deal.

Buy one ARB locker get the smaller compressor, free.

Buy 2 and get the big pera-mount compressor and tire inflation system free.

Cruiser Outfitters is also running the deal on ARB's with the free compressors. Kurt is oustanding to work with and I highly suggest buying from him if you are thinking in this direction.

Plain and simple, if you're into the diffs to do gears its a good time to throw in a locker. Selectables of some kind whether its a factory Elocker or an ARB is nice. I put an Aussie Locker in the rear of my Land Cruiser. It's on the road 80% of the time an the Aussie has been in for two years now and it's been great. ~$200 and you've got your rear locker and might have a little extra cash to throw at a winch.

I'm gonna disagree with Hilux. There is no way I would ever use a Hydraulic MileMarker for a winch. I've seen way too many of them fail when you need them. I've been on the trails with several people with MileMarkers and not once could we use the MileMarker. There is a reason Warn has the reputation in does. There is very little wrong with a good Electric winch. If you've got the charging system to handle the load you can run one a long time. I had a 8274-50 in my old FJ40 and on a club snow run we used my winch for two hours straight, pulling trucks out. I don't care who you are, if you're winching for longer than 2 hours, you're probably in a place you had no business going.

As for carrying an anchor for winching. You've always got a spare tire. Bury that thing in the ground for your winch anchor if you find yourself somewhere void of trees etc.

Just my opinions here so take 'em or leave 'em

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom