'99 ECM virgin file programming, no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In need of the virgin dump file for a '99 LX I recently acquired. I found what I believe is the correct one but need to confirm.
The previous owner mis-diagnosed the immob/ecm fault and hired a lock smith who in turn erased the files on both ECM's
that came with the truck. Some how corrupted the chips so will be replacing them and need the virgin file, thanks.

Cheers,
KG

In need of the virgin dump file for a '99 LX I recently acquired. I found what I believe is the correct one but need to confirm.
The previous owner mis-diagnosed the immob/ecm fault and hired a lock smith who in turn erased the files on both ECM's
that came with the truck. Some how corrupted the chips so will be replacing them and need the virgin file, thanks.

Cheers,
KG
I believe @Mauser had that information posted somewhere…

In the past, he has also offered pre-virginized replacement EEPROMS.

Last edited:
PXL_20231129_002046801.MP.jpg

Glad I asked, I have something different.
Just need to grab some chips and should be good to go, hopefully.

Thanks mate!

Last edited:
Glad I asked, I have something different.
Just need to grab some chips and should be good to go, hopefully.

Thanks mate!

I imagine that the locksmith tried to flash the ecus with the eeprom on the board. You can erase the eeprom, but when you try to write to it on the board it is corrupted. The eeprom needs to be removed from the board to write to it.

I've read on some other Lexus forums that certain chip manufactures are not so reliable.
Is there any one in particular that is recommended?

I contacted a Lexus motor swap Co. that was supposed to send me virgin ready chips but never heard back.

I've read on some other Lexus forums that certain chip manufactures are not so reliable.
Is there any one in particular that is recommended?

I contacted a Lexus motor swap Co. that was supposed to send me virgin ready chips but never heard back.
You can just pull the chip on the board and reprogram it. I use Atmel, or Fairchild chips.

I can send you a chip. You can give me shipping info in a private message.

You can just pull the chip on the board and reprogram it. I use Atmel, or Fairchild chips.

I can send you a chip. You can give me shipping info in a private message.

We pulled the chip on one of the ecm's but not able to reprogram, not sure why or what may have been done to the chip.
Could be our equipment, but haven't had any issues before?

I'll take you up on that offer though. I'll send you my info, Thanks!

Bringing this back.

We have tried a few files including the one that Virgil posted above but still can't get the ecm to go into programming mode.
We have tried one particular file from another member but the programming cuts off after the first key and it loads as a valet.
I have a replacement ecm from a 99 that we read the file off of and it oddly has the valet lockout characters backwards, BFFD and 695A.
Not sure what is up with this since every file I have seen over a range of toyota/lexus models has it FBDF and 5A69.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mauser’s file has worked for me twice, on a 99 LX470.

If you’re buying an extra/replacement ECU, be aware that there were multiple (different) part numbers used for the 99 LX470, and you should match the part number with your original.

Mauser’s file has worked for me twice, on a 99 LX470.

If you’re buying an extra/replacement ECU, be aware that there were multiple (different) part numbers used for the 99 LX470, and you should match the part number with your original.

We're good there, 60610 on both the oe and replacement. The spare is from a 99 LC but the part numbers are the same

Last edited:
Despite what I have read regarding writing to the chip while still boarded, we are able to read and write to the new chips we installed while still attached to the board. But we have also written to the chip removed from the board as well and still a no go. Though, we were not able to read and write to the fairchild chip while attached.

I have been thru the wiring diagrams and metered nearly every pin between the ecm, anti-theft ecu, wireless door lock ecu, center ecu, etc.
I have a couple question marks regarding a couple of the voltage readings but there are some inconsistencies in the manual so I can't say for certain if what I have is right or wrong.

The only thing that might be causing the problem is the key unlock warning switch (KWS) light on the combination meter/instrument cluster is out. The kws otherwise functions as designed so I can't see how an inop warning light would prevent the ecm from going into learning mode.

I'm also getting 10.5 volts in the kws circuit, the manual states 4-5 volts, both with key out. But elsewhere in the manual it wants 10-14 volts. So no telling what's right or wrong.

Last edited:
Problem Solved, well sorta!

Still not sure why the keys would not code to the ecm virgin file that was provided in the above post. My only assumption is that for whatever reason this particular file would not work. Another file I had used would code but it would place the master into the valet slots and end programming mode immediately after the key was removed. The truck would attempt to start a few times and then act as it was, just crank over. So, my only assumption was that this file was also incorrect and the ecm immob was not fully coded.

Followed up with more diag and metering the pinouts throughout the modules without much to indicate a problem other then the inop KSW light on the instrument cluster. Since the system works as designed and I get the voltages I have to assume that this is not the reason for the ecm's coding issue.

Today I decided to manually load the keys transponder chip serial numbers into the ecm/immobilizer chip. This time the security light behaved as it should and the light immediately went out with the insertion of both keys. Again attempted to start but still a no go.

So I went back to the fuel pump ecu and metered all the pinouts there and all checked out except the pump resistance, way to high.
Pulled back the carpet to access the pump, gave it a few taps on the cover plate, and a couple cranks later it FIRED up!

Not sure what the deal is with the virgin file and why the one provided in the earlier post failed but it appears that the second file I got from another member sorta worked since it did load the key as a valet, and quite possibly would have started the truck if the locked up fuel pump had been discovered earlier on.

This process was very time consuming and frustrating, but I learned a whole heck of a lot about the inner workings of the electronics and wiring. For its age I'm quite surprised at the number of ecm's and ecu's there are throughout the platform. I am no longer in need of the virgin file but still very curious about why this particular LX didn't like the one that so many have had success with and if in fact there is another file that is specific to mine.

Cheers!

Also, wanted to mention to anyone that may come across this in a future search for help diagnosing an ecm/immobilizer fault not related to the efi fuse/relay failure.

I did come across quite a few voltage and resistance measurements that were inconsistent with what was stated in the factory repair manuals. There were several cases when a specific voltage was required that differed from what I was getting. Toyota fails to mention that some of these measurements require certain "conditions" to be met before an "accurate" reading can be achieved. There were also a few cases when a specific measurement was required in one section of the Toyota manual but differed in another section.

Fortunately, all this time and research took place on my own truck and not a customers, I would have lost my ass on this job. But it was a great learning experience that took me deep into the inner workings of the wiring schematics that will pay big dividends on future potential diagnostics.

So, I have confirmed that certain boxes with the same part number will have at least 2 different virgin files.
I loaded up a virgin file I deciphered from the spare '99 ecm and both keys properly coded. They did code in a different order then what I have seen written out elsewhere and wrote into my original ecm, but it did work and both keys are coded master 1 and 2.

The 2 files look similar but the valet lockout sequence is reversed and the virgin key hex is shifted one bite to the right.

I'll post up a pic for future reference for others to use if ever unable to code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom