Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX470 or GX470??? That is the question?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DTSkyCop

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone, I am posting this thread up, to get your opinion on a future purchase I am considering. I decided that when my lease is up on my current vehicle (SOON), I would look for an addition to my Land Cruiser Family (FJ40).

I have been searching now for a bit, Toyota Land Cruisers, Lexus LX470's, GX470's etc. I am NOT sure which I am leaning towards, as Land Cruisers are very sparse, yet LX470's, and GX470's are prevalent. I realize the LX470 is the Lexus variant of the Toyota LC, but am wondering about things to stay away from etc..? The LX470's I am finding are approx. 2001 vintage. Any thoughts, concerns??

As for the GX470's, I am finding variants from 2003 - 2009 in the price range I am looking for, (mid teens). Any thoughts or concerns here..?

I would like to attend more outings with the group, especially overnight trips etc. I will also use the vehicle as my daily driver also. I personally am leaning towards the size of the GX470, because I will more than likely be alone on the trips, as my wife is not fond off-roading... just yet...!! However, that could change as I show her pics of the trips etc and what is out there... So the LX actually might be a "better" choice..? I Like some the vehicle utility setups I have seen in the group vehicles at meets for the LX sized vehicles... (Especially at CBT event! Wow, the setups are amazing!)

I have located a 2001 Lexus LX470 locally that was from BC originally, but the owner came to AZ. Looks to be a 1-Owner vehicle, CLEAN history (No Accidents) according to CARFAX. It has about 175K on the vehicle, and Timing Belt was done at about 141K at Big Two in Mesa! CARFAX records seem to be pretty thorough, with maintenance being preformed regularly. Any thought's or concerns..?

I located two GX470's, an 2006 with 141K & 2007 with 151K locally that I am considering going out and looking at also. Both have CLEAN CARFAX'es (No accident history) with the 06 having 2-prior owners, and the 07 having 3-prior owners.

Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated...

I'm probably not much help, but I purchased a '10 LX570 5 years ago and absolutely love it. I don't think you can go wrong with either model. That being said, I have two points to offer. 1) The LX interior isn't that much bigger than the GX's. So I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make for your lifestyle (daily driving/Wheeling). The GX is a bit narrower too so that's nice when you're on tight trails. 2) As I understand, the GX is basically the LC Prado for North America and is based on the 4 Runner chassis but with a V8. So I think you'll find a greater variety of bolt on items like bumpers etc for the LX than you will for the GX. At least that's what I've heard.

A good friend recently purchased a used GX460 and loves it as well. It's a daily driver for him also.

The advice I've always followed is to snag the most recent model that fits your budget. There seems to be more fun tech amenities with each year so you might appreciate some of those especially if it's your daily driver.

One additional point, I've really enjoyed my LX and have done quite a bit of serious wheeling in it. I know a lot of guys have amazing set ups, as evidenced at the CBT show last month, but I'm amazed at what my stock LX can do with nothing more than just All Terrain Tires. I can't do every run the club does but I can do most of them. I'd suggest finding the right rig for you and seeing just what it can do in stock form.

Good luck and happy hunting,

Hank Gries

Hank's '10 LX 570

Thanks Hank for the reply. I appreciate your advice here. I kind of figured the vehicles were all capable vehicles. I just wanted to clarify something you wrote:

"The GX is a bit narrower too so that's nice when you're on tight trails. 2) As I understand, the GX is basically the LC Prado for North America and is based on the 4 Runner chassis but with a V8. So I think you'll find a greater variety of bolt on items like bumpers etc for the LX than you will for the GX."

I know you said here the GX is based on the 4 Runner chassis, but then said there would be more accessories available for the LX. Did you mean GX..?? If so, that was something I did not know about the GX... and would be good information...

Do you know anything about the engines... The 4.7's... are there any concerns with them..? Especially in the higher mile ranges...?? Are these motors like the motors in my 40... Tanks...?? or are there concerns to look out for..? Obviously lower miles would be better for me and a longer life of the vehicle etc.... Just curious...

Thanks again Hank for the input. Love that 55 too...

Well, as one of the few on this page who has an 80, 100, GX, and a 200 LC I can speak intelligently (for me anyway) to this topic. With regard to the GX, I love mine. It has done wonderfully as a DD, and has a acquitted itself well offroad as well. I do miss my 100 sometimes, but the GX is peppier due to the lower weight and is noticeably smaller on the trail. My biggest complaint with the GX centers around the small rear cargo area (compared to the 100 series) It is tough to bring enough stuff for a 4 person family on a 3 day camping trip in the GX where as the 100 had plenty of room. The GX does have more rear seat leg room though. Based on what you said about wheeling alone, this shouldn't be a concern for you. With regard to longevity, none of my vehicles have less that 192k (the 200 LC) and my GX has 224k. The 4.7 is an amazing engine and if cared for half heartedly will last a LOOOOONG time. Obviously the timing belt and water pump have to be done every 90k or so. That is precautionary as my buddies 4.7 4Runner went 11 years and 273k on the originals including spark plugs and he maintained the truck like crap. at 300k and still going strong. The aftermarket is really catching on for the GX and lots of stuff has become available in the last 12 months with more planned. The 4Runner and FJC share suspension components with the GX, but the GX is considerably more refined. If you have anymore specific questions about the GX, I would be happy to discuss. I don't believe you can go wrong with any of the vehicles you are looking at. It is just about which one works best for your particular needs.

That's exactly what I was looking for... Glad to here this! I honestly thought the same things(engine longevity etc.), but having never shopped these vehicle's before wanted to be sure I was a little more educated on them. I lurked on Mud and read a bunch of stuff on about my 40 before ever buying it... I am EXTREMELY happy with the one I found too thanks to Mud info and a Mud Member selling it to me...

My decision to purchase another LC happened by mistake really, when I saw a GX470 for sale while surfing and, well, a light went off in my head... Instead of a NEW vehicle, HIGH payment, why not an older, nice vehicle with a lower payment... And, one I could use on some CSC outings in the summer... :) My 40 has no air...

That's what I love this forum for... A lot of good people with good information and input!! Thanks again!!!

I have been searching now for a bit, Toyota Land Cruisers, Lexus LX470's, GX470's etc. I am NOT sure which I am leaning towards, as Land Cruisers are very sparse, yet LX470's, and GX470's are prevalent. I realize the LX470 is the Lexus variant of the Toyota LC, but am wondering about things to stay away from etc..? The LX470's I am finding are approx. 2001 vintage. Any thoughts, concerns??

As for the GX470's, I am finding variants from 2003 - 2009 in the price range I am looking for, (mid teens). Any thoughts or concerns here..?

2003+ LC100/LX470 come with 5 speed auto transmission and newer dash. I would try to get one of those.

LX470 and newer LC100 has AHC that can be expensive to fix. Just make sure the system is working properly and all the globes/accumulators are healthy.

Some of the 2001/2002 models has navigation with integrated AC and stereo. It is almost impossible to upgrade the stereo in these models without spending a lot of money.

I have located a 2001 Lexus LX470 locally that was from BC originally, but the owner came to AZ. Looks to be a 1-Owner vehicle, CLEAN history (No Accidents) according to CARFAX. It has about 175K on the vehicle, and Timing Belt was done at about 141K at Big Two in Mesa! CARFAX records seem to be pretty thorough, with maintenance being preformed regularly. Any thought's or concerns..?

I have seen a few with only timing belt and water pump replaced. Cam seals started to leak shortly after the job. The last one I saw with cam seals leak cost the owner $2500 to fix. I would prefer to see the following parts replaced:
  • Timing belt
  • Timing belt tensioner and idlers
  • Cam seals
  • Crankshaft seal
  • Water pump and thermostat
  • Fan bracket
  • Serpentine belt
  • Serpentine belt tensioner and idler

I don't have either, but if a GX is "the same" as a 4th-gen 4Runner why not get one of these? Likely more aftermarket support especially in the armor (bumpers/sliders/etc) department. Also probably more out there for sale plus the built-in price premium of a Lexus over a lowly Toyota. From what the internet says, stay away from one with the Kinetic suspension. Just a thought. I do like the GX too. If I had one, I'd obsess over getting Japanese or Euro-spec badges that said Land Cruiser rather than GX470. But I'm weird like that.

Thanks Hank for the reply. I appreciate your advice here. I kind of figured the vehicles were all capable vehicles. I just wanted to clarify something you wrote:

"The GX is a bit narrower too so that's nice when you're on tight trails. 2) As I understand, the GX is basically the LC Prado for North America and is based on the 4 Runner chassis but with a V8. So I think you'll find a greater variety of bolt on items like bumpers etc for the LX than you will for the GX."

I know you said here the GX is based on the 4 Runner chassis, but then said there would be more accessories available for the LX. Did you mean GX..?? If so, that was something I did not know about the GX... and would be good information...

Do you know anything about the engines... The 4.7's... are there any concerns with them..? Especially in the higher mile ranges...?? Are these motors like the motors in my 40... Tanks...?? or are there concerns to look out for..? Obviously lower miles would be better for me and a longer life of the vehicle etc.... Just curious...

Thanks again Hank for the input. Love that 55 too...

Hey DTSKYCOP,

Yes, even though the GX and 4Runner share the same chassis, their bodies are different, thus the selection for some of the aftermarket bumpers/racks etc, as I've been told, are more limited for the GX in North America. However, that may be old news based on what @jclarke450 was saying. There's no doubt that GXs are increasingly being used for wheeling adventures so the aftermarket community may now be catching up with that demand. Case in point, was that amazing dark gray GX at the CBT show last month. That thing was totally mod'd out and looked fantastic. Another example is Adventure Driven's Sexy Lexy: Adventure Driven High end photography and content providers

Don't know much about the engines other than they typical toyota mantra that if they get proper maintenance, they can go on forever.

I'm excited for you. Cheers!

Hank

I don't have either, but if a GX is "the same" as a 4th-gen 4Runner why not get one of these? Likely more aftermarket support especially in the armor (bumpers/sliders/etc) department. Also probably more out there for sale plus the built-in price premium of a Lexus over a lowly Toyota. From what the internet says, stay away from one with the Kinetic suspension. Just a thought. I do like the GX too. If I had one, I'd obsess over getting Japanese or Euro-spec badges that said Land Cruiser rather than GX470. But I'm weird like that.

My main reason for going GX was because the interior quality and noise level was tremendously better than the 4Runner. Driving the 2 back to back is an easy convincer. Driving the 4runner feels like a 4runner. Driving the GX feels like cruiser level refinement. If you are planning hard core offroading, then I would say the 4runner is the way to go.

One other piece of useful info is that the 4.7 in the Lexus is Japan sourced like the LC, where the 4.7 in the 4runner and tundra were the I-Force 4.7 based on what I know. Different connecting rod materials is my understanding and a few other things.

Last edited:
2003+ LC100/LX470 come with 5 speed auto transmission and newer dash. I would try to get one of those.

I have seen a few with only timing belt and water pump replaced. Cam seals started to leak shortly after the job. The last one I saw with cam seals leak cost the owner $2500 to fix. I would prefer to see the following parts replaced:
  • Timing belt
  • Cam seals
  • Crankshaft seal
  • Fan bracket
  • Serpentine belt

This is all good info and the repair maintenance list here is dead on. Many people will just do the timing belt and leave many vulnerable parts behind that should have been addressed. I have done all of this on two 100's I have owned, wasn't all that hard to do, a bit time consuming is all. Only thing I would add is to replace the heater hose T's as pm. The 4.7 is a great motor, my sons has about 250k and runs like a top.
The only trouble spot may be the steering racks, check for leaks and finding one with documented replacement would be a plus to me too.

I really like the less weight and agility of the GX470 compared to the 80-series, plus the 5.3L V8. Do not have any experience with the 100 Series. Over the past year aftermarket parts are becoming abundant. The ATRAC of the GX470 will get you many places. A lot less space for cargo in the GX470.

Read some posts on the Toyota 120 section (120-Series Toyotas) and GXOR - GX OffRoad Public Group | Facebook to give you an idea the potential of the GX470.

I really like the less weight and agility of the GX470 compared to the 80-series, plus the 5.3L V8. Do not have any experience with the 100 Series. Over the past year aftermarket parts are becoming abundant. The ATRAC of the GX470 will get you many places. A lot less space for cargo in the GX470.

Read some posts on the Toyota 120 section (120-Series Toyotas) and GXOR - GX OffRoad Public Group | Facebook to give you an idea the potential of the GX470.

Never heard of the 5.3l V8 gX470, what you talking bout, Willis? :slap::flipoff2:

This is all good info and the repair maintenance list here is dead on. Many people will just do the timing belt and leave many vulnerable parts behind that should have been addressed. I have done all of this on two 100's I have owned, wasn't all that hard to do, a bit time consuming is all. Only thing I would add is to replace the heater hose T's as pm. The 4.7 is a great motor, my sons has about 250k and runs like a top.
The only trouble spot may be the steering racks, check for leaks and finding one with documented replacement would be a plus to me too.

@Funner , the 4.7 in the GX doesn't have the Tees. The hoses are routed differently than on a 100. One of just a very few slight changes between them. Not being picky, just one less thing to worry about on a GX

@Funner , the 4.7 in the GX doesn't have the Tees. The hoses are routed differently than on a 100. One of just a very few slight changes between them. Not being picky, just one less thing to worry about on a GX

Good point that I wasn't aware of having never owned, driven, sat in a GX.:cheers:
GX + no heater t's is tough to compete with.:grinpimp:

LX470 and newer LC100 has AHC that can be expensive to fix. Just make sure the system is working properly and all the globes/accumulators are healthy.

Some of the 2001/2002 models has navigation with integrated AC and stereo. It is almost impossible to upgrade the stereo in these models without spending a lot of money.

• Timing belt
  • Cam seals
  • Crankshaft seal
  • Fan bracket
  • Serpentine belt

@medtro - Thanks for this information here... LX470's are rare too so far in my search...!! Found a couple in the 01 year variants, but nothing "newer" really.... I am now really starting to open up my search a little to see what is out there.... Good information those to keep in mind!

Thank you again!

Hey DTSKYCOP,

Yes, even though the GX and 4Runner share the same chassis, their bodies are different, thus the selection for some of the aftermarket bumpers/racks etc, as I've been told, are more limited for the GX in North America. However, that may be old news based on what @jclarke450 was saying. There's no doubt that GXs are increasingly being used for wheeling adventures so the aftermarket community may now be catching up with that demand. Case in point, was that amazing dark gray GX at the CBT show last month. That thing was totally mod'd out and looked fantastic. Another example is Adventure Driven's Sexy Lexy: Adventure Driven High end photography and content providers

Don't know much about the engines other than they typical toyota mantra that if they get proper maintenance, they can go on forever.

I'm excited for you. Cheers!

Hank

Oh my, Seth's GX470 is more than impressive... DROOOOOOOOOLLLLL City...!! WOW!!! I like that thing for sure... There seems to be a lot of the GX's out there... Might have to go that route... lol Definitely is food for thought!!!

Thanks again Hank for the information

Darius
"DTSkyCop"

God I'm in Richmond VA right now and they are every where around here. I have seen at least twenty today.

My main reason for going GX was because the interior quality and noise level was tremendously better than the 4Runner. Driving the 2 back to back is an easy convincer. Driving the 4runner feels like a 4runner. Driving the GX feels like cruiser level refinement. If you are planning hard core offroading, then I would say the 4runner is the way to go.

@jclarke450 One other piece of useful info is that the 4.7 in the Lexus is Japan sourced like the LC, where the 4.7 in the 4runner and tundra were US sourced based on what I know. Different connecting rod materials is my understanding and a few other things.

I know 4 Runners are built here in the states... Where the LC's are built in Japan according to the VIN #'s I am seeing... I like that personally. I am NOT going to be HARDCORE... Just want to keep up with the group... Get involved a little more and go out a LOT more... lol. I like the look actually of the GX's and after seeing the one Hank referenced in his post above... CLEARLY there is more than enough I could do to one if I find the right one!!! lol I like the GX's smaller size like your mentioned.... We shall see what I can find!

Thank again for the information...

God I'm in Richmond VA right now and they are every where around here. I have seen at least twenty today.

Its funny... I probably use to drive by them DAILY and did not give them a BIG look because I was not in the market for one... But I too saw 5 of them on my way home from PHX to SCDL this evening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom