Toyota FJ Cruiser Recall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Toyota FJ Cruiser Recall Toyota will initiate a Special Service Campaign (Safety Recall) on certain early 2007 Model Year FJ Cruiser vehicles.

Not very serious but worth checking it out!

On June 26, 2006, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding certain early 2007 Model Year FJ Cruiser vehicles. During the tire-to-wheel assembly process for the 2007 FJ Cruiser equipped with either Bridgestone Dueler H/T P265/70R17 113S or Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 P265/70R17 113S tires, there is a possibility that the inner bead of the tire may have been damaged. If the bead is damaged, a bulge may develop on the sidewall of the tire and/or air may leak from the area of the damaged bead.

As this is not a tire manufacturer recall, but a Toyota recall, customers will be instructed to bring their vehicle into an authorized Toyota dealer.

There are approximately 9,000 FJ Cruiser (early 2007 Model Year) vehicles involved in the U.S

All customer inquires should be directed to the Toyota Customer Experience Center
at 1-800-331-4331.

Last edited:
if you're going to post something.. post the whole info.. I am quoting valkyrie from FJcruiserforums.com. He posted this info on Fjcruiserforuns.com originally.

Re-read it... it's not a tire problem, it was an installation (tire mounting) problem... the process was changed long before this announcement became official.

Just because someone has those tires doesn't mean they are automatically impacted... those same tires are being mounted for new FJ's on the assembly line as we speak.

Toyota will contact the customers. Toyota will begin mailing in early July.

Not all VIN's are included. If you wish you may certainly contact your local Toyota Service Center and they can verify eligibility over the phone.

VIN Ranges:
VDS: BU11F Range: 0001029 – 0011264
VDS: ZU11F Range: 0001017 – 0002528

Again, please note that not all vehicles in the VIN range are affected by this SSC.

They will be inspecting the tires and replacing if neccesary.

Thanks for clarifying

VIN Ranges:
VDS: BU11F Range: 0001029 – 0011264
VDS: ZU11F Range: 0001017 – 0002528

I didnt know the vin ranges when i post it.. I got it from another source.

But thanks for clarifying it

Here is the whole thing:

pg1

Richard Jung / TMS Customer Services Division
June 26, 2006
Approved By: David Zellers
To: All Toyota Dealers
Special Service Campaign (SSC) 60D
Certain Early 2007 Model Year FJ Cruiser Vehicles Equipped With Bridgestone Dueler H/T
P265/70R17 or Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 P265/70R17 Tires
******URGENT******
In late June, 2006, Toyota will initiate a Special Service Campaign (Safety Recall) on certain early 2007
Model Year FJ Cruiser vehicles.
On June 26, 2006, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding certain early 2007 Model Year FJ Cruiser vehicles. During the
tire-to-wheel assembly process for the 2007 FJ Cruiser equipped with either Bridgestone Dueler H/T
P265/70R17 113S or Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 P265/70R17 113S tires, there is a possibility that the inner
bead of the tire may have been damaged. If the bead is damaged, a bulge may develop on the sidewall of
the tire and/or air may leak from the area of the damaged bead.
This campaign will entail the confirmation of all five tires, including the spare tire, to determine if they are
within the affected tire-to-wheel assembly range and replacement of the applicable tires.
There are approximately 9,000 FJ Cruiser (early 2007 Model Year) vehicles equipped with Bridgestone
Dueler H/T P265/70R17 or Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 P265/70R17 tires involved in the U.S.
A dealer package including technical instructions and reimbursement procedures will be mailed to
dealers in late June 2006.
Toyota will inform owners of the involved vehicles with a Special Service Campaign notification letter
sent via first class mail beginning in early-July, approximately one week after the dealer notification.
· All customer inquires should be directed to the Toyota Customer Experience Center
at 1-800-331-4331.
· If you are a dealership associate and have any questions, please contact your District Service/Parts
Manager.
· For News media inquiries only, they should be directed to Ming-Jou Chen (310) 468-4782 or Bill
Kwong (310) 468-3764, in Toyota Corporate Communications. (Please do not provide these numbers
to customers or call if you are a dealer associate.)
The following Q&A has been provided for your reference.
Special Service Campaign (SSC) 60D - Tire -To-Wheel Mounting Damage Safety Recall
Early 2007 Model Year FJ Cruiser Vehicles Equipped with Bridgestone Dueler H/T P265/70R17 113S or
Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 P265/70R17 113S Tires

pg2

Q1: What is the condition?
A1: During the tire-to-wheel assembly process for the 2007 model year FJ Cruiser equipped with either
Bridgestone Dueler H/T P265/70R17 113S or Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 P265/70R17 113S tires, there is a
possibility that the inner bead of the tire may have been damaged. If the bead is damaged, a bulge may
develop on the sidewall of the tire and/or air may leak from the area of the damaged bead.
Q2: What is the cause of this condition?
A2: During the tire-to-wheel assembly process there is a possibility that the inner bead of the tire may have
been damaged.
Q3: Are there any warnings that this condition will occur?
A3: No, there are no specific warnings that this condition will occur.
Q4: Which and how many vehicles are involved?
A4: There are approximately 9,000 early 2007 model year FJ Cruiser vehicles involved in the U.S.
Q5: What is the production period of the affected vehicles?
A5: The affected FJ Cruiser vehicles were produced from late January, 2006 to late March, 2006.
Q6: Are there any other Toyota, Lexus or Scion vehicles involved?
A6: No, this specific condition only affects early 2007 model year FJ Cruiser vehicles equipped with either
Bridgestone Dueler H/T P265/70R17 113S or Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 P265/70R17 113S tires.
Q7: How many incidents of this condition have been reported?
A7: There have been no cases of this condition reported in the affected vehicles.
Q8: Have there been any accidents reported?
A8: There have been no reported cases of accidents in the affected vehicles which may relate to this
condition.
Q9: Have there been any injuries related to the alleged accidents?
A9: There have been no reported cases of injuries related to this condition reported in the affected
vehicles.
Q10: What is Toyota going to do?
A10: Any Toyota dealer will confirm all five tires, including the spare tire, to determine if they are within the
affected tire-to-wheel assembly range and replace all involved tires with new tires at NO CHARGE to
the vehicle owners.
Q11: How long will the repair take?
A11: The tire replacement will take approximately 2 hours. However, depending upon the inspection
results and the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer
period of time.
Q12: What should an owner do if they experience the condition or have immediate concerns about
the current safety of their vehicle?
A12: Owners are requested to contact their local Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair.

I seriously hope that nothing is wrong with my tires, but if they all need to be switched out this is the perfect oppurtunity for me to trade them in and get something a little more aggresive.

Brazenhead said:
I seriously hope that nothing is wrong with my tires, but if they all need to be switched out this is the perfect oppurtunity for me to trade them in and get something a little more aggresive.

X2 :D

If my Fj was built in the approriate time line, I wonder if i could just insist that they send them back and give me all new tires. I mean come on! you can't say that some between such and such a date we're bad and others were not, that's like saying "oh that batch of donuts i made are all good except the raw one". What if 6 months down the road my tires start to bulge. It all comes down to the safety issue right?

Brazenhead said:
If my Fj was built in the approriate time line, I wonder if i could just insist that they send them back and give me all new tires. I mean come on! you can't say that some between such and such a date we're bad and others were not, that's like saying "oh that batch of donuts i made are all good except the raw one". What if 6 months down the road my tires start to bulge. It all comes down to the safety issue right?

They can say that.. because it's not a tire issue.. it's a toyota mounting the tires issue.. so after they know when it started all VIN #s start at 1000 and when they fixed it. and maybe some of the tire mounting tools/machines were screwed up not all of them

Last edited:
I just got my recall notice last week. I also have replaced my tires, but still have the originals. Does anyone have any pics, and/or links to the damaged tire? I'd like to see exactly what they are looking for.

Just go in with what you have and tell them you replaced them because of tire problems. You may get reimbursed something.

Ya, I want to see if I can just get rid of the tires, but I like to be informed BEFORE I talk to a dealer. They never seem to know what's going on, anyways. This way, I can tell THEM what the scoop is.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom