Toyota AK10 Picture (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since we have these great pics to study...........

Now look at the suspension. Rear is sprung over. But what's the front suspension, torsion bar with swing arms? :confused:

Whatever they used, I would have to say that they've got approach angle covered in spades. . .

did a little sleuthing

jeepa.jpg

hoha1.jpg

hoha7.jpg

hoha6.jpg

hoha2.jpg

http://henk.fox3000.com/fairey.htm

type 1 1941 toyoda truck (copy of a 1939 chevrolet)

The fj25/40 as we know it began life during the Korean war when the US army contracted Toyota to build the Jeep for use in Korea. Toyota used what they had available- parts from trucks that were larger that the original Jeep. Including a 6 cyl gas engine which exceeded military specs, so much so that the Toyota jeep didn't need a low range ( that's why the fj25 only has 2H & 4H/ low range was introduced in 1959 or 1960). After the korean war ended in late 1953, Toyota wanted to produce it for the civilian market under the name "Toyota Jeep". But after a law suit was threatened by Willys, they changed the name to "Landcruiser" because they felt that the "Landrover" was more of a competitor then the jeep. Production started in 1954. Some where I've got a pic of a Toyota "BJ" ( even though it has a gas engine) circa 1953, which looks a lot like a military ford 151 "mutt", with the headlights on the fenders, & vertical slats in the grill. I'll try to find it & post it. It's in a 15+ year old specter off road catalog. In that catalog there are quite a few cool shots of cruisers, including an FJ45 fire engine!!

Yep. Different picture, but same truck

Toyota made fire appliances based on many versions of the Land Cruiser.
Here's the very first one - the FJJ fire appliance based on the original BJ Jeep (see p3 for pics and p4 for specs):
Index of /~stepho/brochures/Toyota/Fire appliances 323

And here's a brochure of the original BJ:
Index of /~stepho/brochures/Toyota/Landcruiser BJ
p3 shows the engine and chassis without the body.

The BJ chassis was suppose to be based on the G1 truck, which was based on the AA car.
The G1 and AA had the Type A engine.
The BJ had the Type B engine and the FJJ fire appliance had the Type F engine.
The 3.4 litre Type B and 3.9 litre Type F were more advanced versions of the Type A.
You can see compare the BJ chassis and Type B engine in p3 with the AA chassis and Type A engine here:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/books/TheWheelExtended1987/p49 The Toyota AA Passenger Car.jpg
I don't know which chassis the AK10 used but I'd happily guess it was a shortened G1 chassis.

And here's some other general grab bag stuff.
Index of /~stepho/brochures/Toyota

It took forever to scanner these large brochures (3 ft wide) on my teeny-weeny A4 scanner and then stitch them all back together again.
Make sure you zoom in to see the fine detail.

- Stepho

Toyota Fire Truck

Just thought most of you haven't seen this so here it is. There are several here and still in use..when they quit using them they put them up for auction and at that time I hope to own one..Hope you like..Lee
Old toy fire truck.jpg

Just thought most of you haven't seen this so here it is. There are several here and still in use..when they quit using them they put them up for auction and at that time I hope to own one..Hope you like..Lee
Nice, clean fire truck, hope you get one an keep her stock. :)
Cheers
Peter

I can't help but comment....

Because the Patrol is not mentioned much, I did see a picture of a Nissan though!

Toyota and Nissan fought for several military contracts after WW2. The Willies/WW2 Jeep was the birth of both. Toyota developed it's own version, aka the Land Cruiser. Nissan it's, aka the Patrol. If you want to get down to the nitty gritty, Nissan has been around for a fair share longer than Toyota. But whatever, who cares, I am not posting to have a pissing match! Nissan didn't ever score any military contracts with the Patrol I am aware of until the late 1960's when they landed a big one with India. However, I do believe Nissan went civilian with their 4x4 "Jeep" before Toyota. The first Patrols were manufactured and sold in 1951, the first Patrols exported from Japan was in 1953. It is believed they went to Argentina, in fact a 1953 Patrol turned up in Brazil on the internet some years ago. By 1955 Patrols were being sold in decent numbers not only in South America but also the Middle East. 1950's Patrols have also turned up in Central America. I have seen all these trucks, in pictures of course! By 1957/58 Patrols were being sold in fairly good numbers in South America, in particular in Colombia where they got more of a particular model than anywhere in the world. This model is extremely rare anywhere else in the world and is a bit of a fusion, 1960 started the new model, aka the 60-series which for more than 20yrs was neck and neck with the Cruiser.

Nissan also made a 1950's 1.5tonn troop carrier truck called just that, the Nissan Carrier. It is also a copy of a same era military dodge. The vehicle was produced in the largest numbers in India, part of that military contract. Also part of this India contract yielded "tank killer" Patrols and weapons transport variations. So pretty much every variation under the sun has been produced at one time or another, pretty much the same for Cruisers. The Patrols from very early on were available in various body styles from wagon to fire truck. In fact by the 1960's the Patrol fire truck is badged "Nissan FirePatrol" which is pretty damn cool. The wagon is a unique body just like the FJ45LV from the same era. Just like Cruiser fire trucks, Patrol fire trucks bodies were outsourced. By the 1960's just about every body variation was in production from pickups to wagons to SWB soft tops to hard tops to MWB s/t & h/t to LWB's to special order bodies like movie vans. It goes back and forth over and over through the years. One thing Nissan did different than Toyota during this era was it shipped to many countries only topless trucks. Perhaps due to saving money on shipping and getting more trucks per square inch or perhaps due to import duties!? Any ways, they contracted, encouraged and pushed in house companies in such and such country to produce hardtops for their trucks. In particular in Colombia and Australia. Nearly ever Patrol you find in these countries during a 20+year time span has an in house made top. It provides and interesting variation tot he Patrol I have not seen with the Cruiser. I think it simply came down to numbers, money and marketing strategy but in a lot of ways this paid off in such and such country for Nissan and the Patrol. And as a result in this way Nissan and Toyota pushed each other to go farther and give us cooler trucks! In 1987 Nissan beat Toyota to the punch with the Y60 Patrol, it being a full coil sprung live axle truck, the 80-series didn't come out for 2-3 years. Without Nissan the TLC wouldn't be what it is today and without Toyota the Patrol would be either! Both for some 60 odd years have been the best 4wd you can buy on the planet.

One thing I have always found interesting is how The Patrol or the Cruiser has a stronger foothold and following in one country or another. For example; the Cruiser was in early and pushed hard in Costa Rica. You will see a ton of them while traveling the country, many old trucks and the people think it is the best 4wd ever made. It is the same in Guatemala for the most part. But go to Nicaragua or Colombia and the Patrol dominates. In particular in Colombia where Nissan has had a foothold since the mid-1950's. It is simply a matter of which company got into which area first and pushed their truck the hardest. Going on 60yrs later it is no surprise the loyalties are so fierce in these countries for the respected names and trucks. Some countries like Panama the two brands and trucks are neck and neck. Depending on where in that country you are. Some areas are dominated by Cruisers and some by Patrols. Not only do you see way more of one or the other type of truck in such and such village the people their are very passionate about which is best. Any ways, I find this interesting especially since I like to travel through many of the named countries and I also love me some Japanese 4wd trucks!

My last tid-bit of info/history is....

It has been confirmed from the source, aka Mr. K (as we call him) who is responsible for bringing Datsun & Nissan to the USA in the late 1950's that he let the Patrol go in this country. See, Mr. K is a sports car man, he loved the old Datsun Roadsters and Z-cars. The confirmed rumor goes that he made a "deal" with Toyota to back off on the sports car market here in the USA and Nissan would back off on the 4wd market. As a result during the 1970's and onward we no longer got Patrols in the USA. Nissan was ok with this since they were not selling many Patrols anyways and they were selling a decent number of sports cars. The Nissan sports cars were pushed hard during the 1960's, 70's and into the 80's. Hence the reason perhaps we don't see a lot of Toyota sports cars in the USA from that era. While on the other hand by the late 1970's the Cruiser had a very good foothold in the USA. Mr.K as I say loves the sports cars and I think his influence on Nissan in this country shows. Things would be very different in the world of 4wds and in particular in the TLC vs Patrol thing had Mr.K been a 4wd lover. One thing is for sure, Nissan has never connected with it's history of the Patrol like Toyota has and as a result Toyota has used this to their advantage. Why not, good on them for doing it and shame on Nissan for missing this boat! And I got to say from early on Toyota has always one upped Nissan in this regard, ie marketing. Nissan fails at making their archives public and documenting the history of not only the Patrol but the company. Toyota has always kicked their ass at this and the results are obvious.

When it comes down to it and you hold one Cruiser part in your hand and hold a Patrol part in the other hand, it is pretty damn difficult to tell which is superior. Details aside that is....

I could go on about Australia but I think you will find for the most part the Patrol is bigger and has a bigger following in Australia than the Cruiser, not a huge difference in numbers but none the less it is not an even tipped scale. The same might be said of many other countries too such as Saudi Arabia. In these particular countries both brands have had a long history and foothold and to this day continue to battle it out on which is the better 4wd.

We don't really need to mention Rover much because I think both Nissan and Toyota kicked the s*** out of Rover a long long time ago! :D

I am a lover of both trucks but as you can guess Patrols are my passion. I have had my hands on both trucks and had those hands in deep. I can tell you the trucks are so similar in so many ways you wonder if some designers weren't working for both companies, at least during the 1960s-1990s! Cruisers beat Patrols out on such and such for such and such year and Patrols do the same for Cruisers. We can be fanboys if you want and I will be on the Nissan side of the fence but after 20+yrs of enjoying both, I am a fan of both! I really think without these trucks being neck and neck throughout their history we would have much less of a truck be it Patrol or Cruiser to be passionate about.

:cheers:

Last edited:
found the original picture that was used to create the drawing of the AK10

posting that up as well as a picture of the Bantam BRC-40 for comparison... originally thought there was 4 trucks... however... looks like there was 6 produced

"In April 1944, work started on the design of the AK10 small four-wheel drive truck. In July of the same year, six prototype units were completed, but, just as preparations were under way for full-scale production, the war ended in defeat for Japan, and production plans were suspended. After the war, when it came to the development of a jeep-type all-wheel drive vehicle, the design technology of the AK10 and the remaining parts proved of great use (Table 1-16)."

http://www.toyota-global.com/compan...otive_business/chapter2/section5/item8_b.html

l01_02_05_08_img12 ak10.jpg

Bantam-jeep-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom