Toyota 4.7 HELP! Multiple Misfire Codes (P300, + 8,6,2,7,5) *UPDATE* Motor Blown, Hole in Block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BillyGoatMTB

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello Mud,

I'm stumped, stuck, followed every step in the FSM, still runs bad. I should have posted here months ago, I guess somewhere in my mind I only have mud on my mind for my 80 Series.

TOYOTA 4.7L has a random misfire code p 0 300 along with the majority passenger side 8,6,2 cylinder, with occasionally and intermittent 3, 5, 7 cylinder. There's also a p2241 bank 2 sensor 1 air fuel ratio sensor code. Also excessive ticking from passenger side (valve noise?).

We're driving home from a 4H function with the kids truck started stumbling then barely made it in the driveway, the next day I went out to start it up and check it out ran perfectly fine drove it for a day, shut it off when I started it again it started and died instantly all the symptoms came back and have not gone away.

I have the factory service manual I've done everything including
*changing the ECM, put original back
*Changed cam position sensor
*New battery because it sat
*fuel injectors, 2 new and swapped around
*coil packs spark plugs, 2 new and swapped around
*Fuel pressure at rail and off bumper both spot on
*Look for wiring shorts/open
*checked the timing and timing belt still good
*Tested relays according to FSM
*No blown fuses
*Drain and refill to fresh gas also put in a bottle of heat

The p2241 sensor ohms fine and has voltage with key on. Tomorrow I'm going to test for shorts/open, between the sensor and ECM. I did this months ago the thought I would go back and check again to make sure I'm hitting the pins on the ECM correctly.

did you change the O2 sensor, bank 2 sensor 1 was bad on mine

It tested fine, I plan to use the FSM tomorrow it shows if sensor checks fine to check for open or short between sensor and ECM.

I've thrown so many parts at it already I'm trying to do my due diligence.

did you change the O2 sensor, bank 2 sensor 1 was bad on mine
boca1 did your bad sensor cause similar performance issues?

I didn't own it at the time, so I don't know what it was doing. RO states customer says CEL on, car had a code p0155, tech found resistance out of spec on bank 2 sensor 1 heated OS and replaced it. Sorry I can't be of more help
Thanks for the reply.
I figured posting was worthwhile because either I'm the first one with this issue and there will be others this will help or someone may have an answer or lead I can track down.

Runs poor cold or warmed up. At idle or in gear feels super rough to the point of stalling, when at rpm 2k+ it's rough but runs better, drivable but not confidence inspiring.

I don't drive it much I don't want to burn up my cat. I drive my 80 series or my Tacoma.

I plan to use the FSM to check for short / open as the manual says between the sensor and the ECM today.

Hate to say it...... My retired Toyota mechanic friend that also looked at it said I may have to take it to the Stealership.

Swap the Sensors over, from bank 2 to bank 1. Does it only run poor when it has had time to warm up..The system is open loop when cold..
Try this first. I had something similar, maybe not as bad and I had a code that showed O2 sensor. Are you using tech stream? I noticed fuel trims were wacky but I found that even though I had an O2 code, the A/F sensor was really the culprit. So I just changed all four sensors.

Last edited:
Try this first. I had something similar, maybe not as bad and I had a code that showed O2 sensor. Are you using tech stream? I noticed fuel trims were wacky but I found that even though I had an O2 code, the A/F sensor was really the culprit. So I just tapped all four.
I have the blue driver scanner, it's the first time I looked at fuel trims but looks like the majority of my misses are bank 2 (cylinder 8,6,2) which is most of the misses.

Bank 2 fuel trim under even throttle is always half or more of bank 1. Researching noe

Yr, miles?
Coolant loss?
Compression?
"Bank 2 fuel trim under even throttle is always half or more of bank 1 " What are the numbers?

Yr, miles?
Coolant loss?
Compression?
"Bank 2 fuel trim under even throttle is always half or more of bank 1 " What are the numbers?
2001LC
It's a 2005
Slight coolant loss from timing belt 2 years ago, maybe 1/4 qt
I did compression first thing a few months ago when this all started.

This weekend I plan to
* Do compression again
*Built smoke machine last night look for intake/vac leaks.

I swear I can almost hear it's sucking in air with compression timing around cylinder 8 6 with a piece of tubing in my ear

The performance you describe sounds very similar to my experience with my knock sensor. Mice chewed through the wires and my LX reacted like yours. Given you just returned from a 4H event, is it possible you picked up some unwanted passengers while there? These evil rodents build nests on the block where it is cozy and party by eating through the wire insulation. The cost of getting this repaired was entirely disproportionate to the size of the little b@st@rds that caused the damage. See here: Mice!!!

The performance you describe sounds very similar to my experience with my knock sensor. Mice chewed through the wires and my LX reacted like yours. Given you just returned from a 4H event, is it possible you picked up some unwanted passengers while there? These evil rodents build nests on the block where it is cozy and party by eating through the wire insulation. The cost of getting this repaired was entirely disproportionate to the size of the little b@st@rds that caused the damage. See here: Mice!!!
This is a Scarry thought given we live on Anchorage and mice are around. when this all started I tore part of the dash out looking around for rodent damage I also looked all over the engine taking apart wiring harnesses I cannot find any rodent damage.

I'm not familiar with the knock sensors do you recall where they're located and where was the road and damage was inside a junction box or under the intake?

This thread gives you a good idea re location. The initial photos posted are not working but they have been reloaded if you scroll down

Stuckinthemud did your ECM throw knock sensor codes? I don't have any knock sensors codes on the scanner

I believe it did but this was something determined at the dealer as I lack the skill set to accomplish this on my own. I will try and find invoice to see what this was exactly. They removed a large nest not unlike that seen in the first link I shared.

Update

Well today on a test drive to warm up the truck for a compression check she blew up. Either she threw a rod or the crank broke blew a hole at the bottom of the block / pan.

I'm looking online now for engine options. Any suggestions?

I can't believe this happened to one of my Toyotas definitely a one-off.

that is not good, sorry to hear
Thanks, it's definitely a 1 off. I'm a proud Toyota owner, 98 Tacoma, 97 80 series, 2007 tundra. I'm super surprised.

I suppose the relieving part was I thought I was chasing something electronic, every shopping mechanic I've talked to said they have had no mechanical issues with these engines.

maybe I should sell this as is and buy another 80 series ;)

I've begun research on a new short block and other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom