Towing with a late model 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having difficulty finding a harness to connect trailer lighting to a 2010 model 70 series. I don't want to splice into the factory Toyota harness and am certain connections exist for a factory trailer lighting connection. I'm trying to source a harness while stateside and that has proven to be difficult. Is there anywhere I could order a trailer lighting harness and have it shipped to the states?

Do you have a photo of the tail light connectors inside the rear quarter panels? Following in the footsteps of @FJ73Texas I got a trailer harness for a late 90's Camry, but found that the plugs were incorrect for my application (91 LJ78). However, with the correct plugs sourced I was able to cut off the ends of the harness and put on new plugs, so the whole thing is plug-and-play and completely reversible.
Here's where I got the information about the harness:

It is still working perfectly for me. I spliced into the trailer harness itself (not the OEM wires) for the kaymar bumper but I have yet to actually tow with it. The tow portion of the harness works however.

Do you have a photo of the tail light connectors inside the rear quarter panels? Following in the footsteps of @FJ73Texas I got a trailer harness for a late 90's Camry, but found that the plugs were incorrect for my application (91 LJ78). However, with the correct plugs sourced I was able to cut off the ends of the harness and put on new plugs, so the whole thing is plug-and-play and completely reversible.
Here's where I got the information about the harness:
I do not have photos of the tail light connectors and am away from the vehicle. I do know that it has unused connectors under the rear bumper that I'm confident are for a trailer harness. I have concluded that this harness I seek is probably country or market dependent. For example, the common 4 flat connectors we have in the states are different from the trailer lighting connectors they use in AU and UAE. I would feel much better about modifying a trailer lighting harness for my specific trailer than the factory wiring on the truck.

It is still working perfectly for me. I spliced into the trailer harness itself (not the OEM wires) for the kaymar bumper but I have yet to actually tow with it. The tow portion of the harness works however.
Perhaps my initial post was confusing. I am trying to source a trailer wiring harness.

That is what I used. A Camry trailer harness from e-trailer. It works (both bumper lights and towing) for the bumper lights since I spliced into it but still has the 4-way plug. The 4-way plug can be adapted to 7-way too.

In your case you would just use the harness without splicing into it for towing needs only.

Also I have seen plug and play trailer harnesses being sold on eBay Australia by Toyota dealers for the VDJ76. I would imagine that might work for you. 12V stuff

Also I have seen plug and play trailer harnesses being sold on eBay Australia by Toyota dealers for the VDJ76. I would imagine that might work for you. 12V stuff
Yep I did find one but they will not ship to the States. That connection you used is at the tail lights correct?

Yep I did find one but they will not ship to the States. That connection you used is at the tail lights correct?

Yeah. I didn't have a ready to use trailer connector plug hanging down on my HZJ77 like the newer 70 series do so I used that e-trailer harness to avoid splicing into the factory wires to make it work in my case.

If I am not mistaken, the newer 70 series have a connector hanging there down below in the middle rear end, ready to be used with a trailer wiring kit.

Yeah. I didn't have a ready to use trailer connector plug hanging down on my HZJ77 like the newer 70 series do so I used that e-trailer harness to avoid splicing into the factory wires to make it work in my case.

If I am not mistaken, the newer 70 series have a connector hanging there down below in the middle rear end, ready to be used with a trailer wiring kit.
Yep, mine has that I just can't seem to source a harness to fit it.

Anyone in AU that could perhaps ship to me?

I have some other stuff that I will need to ship from Australia soon (just bought stuff on ebay australia). If you want, I can add it to my shipment then I send it on to you.

It looks like a small item so no cost for the australia to US shipment. Just from my address to yours.

Or you can just use Mail Forwarding | Cheap Shipping | Freight Forwarder - https://ausff.com.au/ which is what I use. I buy from ebay, it ships to their address, and they send it on to me. The trick is you plug in the address that ausff.com.au gives you into your ebay account and use that address as your primary address during the ebay australia purchases.

Just don't forget to change it back to your real home address when back to ebay shopping locally.

Last edited:

Good timely info. Thanks.

Are your trailer lights LED or using a 24v-12v step down?

Did the relay box idea found on Mud on a rig that already had splices into its OEM harness. I'd like to tow the same trailer with another rig and not tap in like that. So looking at just the harness piece from a Camry then into the step down box.

Trailer Lights Logic Circuit & Step Down Voltage Converter - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/trailer-lights-logic-circuit-step-down-voltage-converter.43609/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom