Towing with a HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
Next week I am hoping to tow my boat on a 3000km round trip to Exmouth. My car is a HJ60 with a 2H engine and 5 speed manual h55 gearbox, and the boat is a 5m 1982 Quintrex - weighing about 1.5 Tonne all up when loaded with camping gear. I am getting a tow bar from the wreckers today and as such havent had a chance to see how the car handles towing the boat yet. My question to all the H55 experts is what gear and speed would you recommend I tow in? The car has 31 10.5 15 Bridgestone Dueller AT's, and in 5th gear sits on about 2500rpm at 100km/hr. Would I damage 5th gear trying to tow in it? Should I sit on 80 / 90km/hr in 4th gear all the way making it a long trip!? Any idea on fuel economy when towing that sort of weight?
Thanks heaps!!
Drew

Yep that's how people wreck 5th gear better to tow in 4th

Well, I'd disagree, minorly-
run 5th when it's not working hard, and when you start up a hill, use 4th.
The extra load isn't so bad on the level- but the long grind up even a slight hill adds a lot of wear...

What I do,

t

Thanks guys, I still haven't finished fitting the tow bar yet (got it from the wreckers for $100 -Hayman Reece receiver type). I am going to try to keep the boat empty to hopefully keep it under 1 tonne (no fuel, ice, booze etc) and will buy it when we get there.....

That will save some fuel on the trip there

The best piece of a advice from an old hand is 5th is for over 80kph only.

Stick to this rule and you should never have 5th slip out.

In regards to the trip get ready for a new mantra......."I wish I had turbo!"
She'll be right mate slow and steady, keep an eye on the oil level and temp.

Thanks Crick60, I have done the trip dozens of time - with my 100 series turbo diesel with a few engine mods. 100 - 120km/he the whole way fully loaded and the roof rack loaded up too. The 100 is for sale to reduce debt, and I am back to snail pace.....

Thanks Crick60, I have done the trip dozens of time - with my 100 series turbo diesel with a few engine mods. 100 - 120km/he the whole way fully loaded and the roof rack loaded up too. The 100 is for sale to reduce debt, and I am back to snail pace.....

That's a pretty sad story....at least you'll be a hell of a lot better looking in the 60!

You should be ok coasting along on a flat road,and there is plenty of that on the way to Exmouth. Dont be tempted to accelerate in 5th and if you hit a headwind ,which is pretty normal around Geraldton- Northampton,you will need 4th and its hilly around there anyway

That's a pretty sad story....at least you'll be a hell of a lot better looking in the 60!

No, not sad at all! In the last 3 months I have spent more on the 100 in repairs than I am ever likely to spend on the 60 - including buying it and fixing it up for rego!!! I have now gone fj60 - hzj80 - hdj100 - hj60.... Maybe a 40 next... Or a 200.

Will post photos in next couple of days with the boat hooked up to it - should look good all silver and grey.....

Well, we made it to Exmouth! The 60 performed better than I could have hoped! The boat came in at 1 tonne empty, and we managed 90 - 100 km/hr the whole trip up (except for hills!!) and used 16 - 17L/100km the whole way. It tows the boat easier on the 4x4 tracks than the 100 series, and didn't use a drop of oil. We have speared and caught some nice fish and still have 5 days before heading home. Will post some pics when I get back as limited bandwidth here... Loving the 60!!!

image.jpg
We made it there and back! Straight into a 20knot head wind on the way back for 1400k's wasn't fun! Used 19L/100km the whole way back... Here are a couple of car and spearing shots...

Hi guys, just a bit of an update.... At about 2:30 this morning we returned from out annual family camping trip to Exmouth - but this time in my 1988 Hj61 factory Turbo Diesel... What a difference!!! I averaged about 14.5L/100km sitting on 100km/hr with more of a load than the previous trip with the 2h. The car didn't feel stressed at all, and was a pleasure to drive. This was the 4th trip in 4 years with a different car each year, and this certainly is the best tow vehicle of all that I have towed with ( hzj80, hdj100 - with a 4 speed auto, hj60, 100 series petrol - 4 speed auto, and a Holden Captiva auto - but that doesn't count....). Near are some photos...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom