Towing with a 4runner vs 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Max.Powerzz

Cruisers and Art!
Threads
Contemplating selling my LX 470 / 100 series and getting a 4runner. Has anyone towed with both and how do they compare? We have a 19 foot, 3,500 lb (dry) trailer. LX does okay but it's getting a little long in the tooth and I'm tempted by the 5th gen 4runner. I know a Taco/Tundra would be better for towing but a Runner would suit our needs better 95% of the time.

I've never towed with both but there are some mechanical differences. Land cruiser is heavier so should be more planted feeling when towing. Also the land cruiser has a 9.5" rear differential which is far stronger than the 4runner differential which makes it far stronger and better suited for heavy loads compared to the 4runner 8" differential. The 200 also has the 9.5 differential.

I have owned and towed with both. IMO, the 100-Series did a lot better than the 4Runner towing. That being said, the 4Runner tows surprisingly well for what it is. You will be working the trans pretty hard, though. If I were you, I would look hard at a 200-Series or GX460.

20131011-095516-zps4hcnlyvw.jpg

IMG-20190504-101849-727.jpg

Ditto on the GX460. Cheaper than both the 200 and a (used) 4Runner, V8 and 6 speed.

Ditto on the GX460. Cheaper than both the 200 and a (used) 4Runner, V8 and 6 speed.

It also has rear air. Wife didn't like the GX470 when we bought our 4.7 V8 4WD 4Runner in 04. Just bought 2018 4Runner. Wife still didn't like the new GX. I have to agree like the look of the 4Runner a lot more. Not a fan of the grill Lexus is using across the own line now. Still have the 04 and 2nd gen Sequoia so towing is covered. Have yet to take the 2018 on the hills but guessing it will not compare to either the Sequoia or O4 T4R. Didn't check that close but think the GX460 will not have the Off Road features can get with TRD 4Runner is that is important. The current GX looks like is needs a lift to take it off road. Felt the same with 2000 100 series I had. Without a lift the plastic bumpers would be history with any real off road use. TRD 4Runners with spotting have a better chance of coming back without damage.

It also has rear air. Wife didn't like the GX470 when we bought our 4.7 V8 4WD 4Runner in 04. Just bought 2018 4Runner. Wife still didn't like the new GX. I have to agree like the look of the 4Runner a lot more. Not a fan of the grill Lexus is using across the own line now. Still have the 04 and 2nd gen Sequoia so towing is covered. Have yet to take the 2018 on the hills but guessing it will not compare to either the Sequoia or O4 T4R. Didn't check that close but think the GX460 will not have the Off Road features can get with TRD 4Runner is that is important. The current GX looks like is needs a lift to take it off road. Felt the same with 2000 100 series I had. Without a lift the plastic bumpers would be history with any real off road use. TRD 4Runners with spotting have a better chance of coming back without damage.
I could quote specs all day, but the only one that matters is - wait for it.... especially in Arizona...."butt coolers"! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom