Towing questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at a 94 FZJ80 for a DD/tow rig. I have searched and got alot of different feedback and no truely clear answers IMHO.

I plan to tow maybe 4-8 times a yr. My rig will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 4k. With a towing weight of about 5500lbs or so. Will I have alot of problems period or will it do the job?

I will have airbags, trailer brakes, etc. I do know I won't be flying up any mtns or passing anyone. No big deal really.

I'm trying to find as much feedback as I can get.

Will,

We have several members with extensive towing experience so I won't volunteer anything other than your rig will weigh considerable more than 4k. Even a stock FZJ80 weighs a lot more than that. ( > 6k )

-B-

My XJ won't weight too much over 4k. I know the 80 does lol. Maybe I didn't explain something to well.

XJ, you'll be towing it's dead carkass more than 4 times a year :flipoff2:. Actually I tow a camping trailer that when loaded is about that weight. Go camping up in the White mountains all summer. Does ok, it is no speedster but I'm not in a race either.

This is confusing...what difference does it make that your XJ is 4K when you say you'll be towing with the 80???

-B- is right: a stock 80 is much more like 6000lbs alone. But from your description, it sounds like you'll be towing a trailer of 1500lbs. You should have no problems towing that.

>> Maybe I didn't explain something to well. <<

That's an understatement. I haven't got a clue what you're trying to do.

-B-

NCxj,

Ok - I'll clear things up for you. I also have a very stock '94. She weighs in at 5200lbs (yes, I weighed her when I weighed the trailer to see if I met weight requirements to need brakes on the trailer). I regularly tow a trailer with brakes that weighs in at 3500lbs without a problem. As you state, no speed demon up steeper grades, etc., but why would you want to? You say you have air bags - GOOD. The LC sags appreciably. I use a weight distribution hitch to balance things out even tho Mr. Yota does not 'recommend' the use of one. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller and am very happy with it's performance.

Hope that helps clear up any questions you might have.

[glow=black,2,2]Will ,

Hows life in the Triad ? Have you made a trail rig of your XJ that you want to tow to events with the 80 ? If so ... :slap: ... the guys here might smack ya , and ask why you don't just sell off the heep and build up the 80 :p

God bless ...[/glow]

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

Let me try to clear things up. I wanna use the 80 to tow the XJ (4k lbs) on a trailer (1500lbs). Roughly somewhere btween 5500-6k lbs.

Brentbba - thanks for the help.

Will,
you can expect us not to give you some greif on towing an trail xj wiht an 80 but heh thats just the way it is. towing 5-6k I think will be at the edge of the envelope. I think yomama tows a boat that is that heavy but he is turboed so not the fairest comparison. If you are not planning on really wheeling too much the 100 series might not be a bad way to go as well.
Dave

The maximum towing capacity for the 80 series is 5000 lbs trailer/500 lbs tongue.

That being said, there are those that have towed more than that. Do so at your own risk.

NCxj,

As Cruiserdan indicated that's above the recommended towing weight. My guess is if that's a *standard* 16-18 ft. double axle steel trailer it weighs more than 1500lbs too, probably figure closer to 2,000 lbs.

I tow quite a bit. I've towed just over 4,000 lbs before I put the blower on, and my cruiser handled it, but it wasn't happy about it. I can't imagine what it would have been like adding another 2,000 lbs to the load. The problems were evenly split between a lack of motor and a lack of a heavier suspension.

Now that I have a blower and beefed up suspension the truck pulls very well, but I still try to keep the load to 4,500 lbs max. I would not consider towing 6,000 ish lbs with my truck unless it was a very short distance. But that's just me.

Good Luck,
Mike

sooo, let me get this straight:
you plan on towing the Heep cuz it will break down a lot, and towing it with the 80 cuz you want to be sure to come back?
:D
E

Will,

We tow a 6000lb boat with our stock 80 with rear airbags. I've logged around 14,500 miles including a cross country tow with no problems. The 80 is rated to tow 7700lbs everywhere but litigation-happy USA. Just be sure the tranny's been properly serviced, you have good heavy tow oriented tires (no wobbly muds or A/Ts) and your cooling system is in order. Having said that, I'd roll that trailer/heep across a scale as I suspect you're going to find the trailer is a bit heavier than 1500lbs as noted above.

Doug

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=12855;start=msg119769#msg119769 date=1079062736]
Will,

The 80 is rated to tow 7700lbs everywhere but litigation-happy USA.

Doug
[/quote]

Interesting, I never heard that before. Maybe that explains why my Kaymar rear bumper is rated for towing 7700lbs. I too pull a big :eek: boat. I would be willing to bet when the boat is full of gear and fluids that it is closer to 7000lbs with trailer 8) I feel better now... What does C-Dan have to say about Doug's comment?

Yomama

I have not seen the international Toyota publication that states that information. Personally I prefer that the tow vehicle weighs more than the trailer. Certainly this is not the case with tractor-trailers but that is their only job.

I was just in New Zealand for a bit, and was amazed at the size of boats, cattle trailers, etc everyone was pulling with their 80s. Many had to be well over 6000 lbs.
Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom