Towing questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12855;start=msg119917#msg119917 date=1079101604]
Personally I prefer that the tow vehicle weighs more than the trailer. [/quote]

So does this mean that I need to add MORE weight to my Cruiser? Couple 16 gallon kegs of :beer: in the back perhaps? :D
Seriously, the puller out weighing the pulley would be preferred, but many trailers out weigh their puller, I assume that is the reason for trailer brakes, which I have...

Yomama

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=12855;start=msg119769#msg119769 date=1079062736]
Will,

We tow a 6000lb boat with our stock 80 with rear airbags. I've logged around 14,500 miles including a cross country tow with no problems. The 80 is rated to tow 7700lbs everywhere but litigation-happy USA. Just be sure the tranny's been properly serviced, you have good heavy tow oriented tires (no wobbly muds or A/Ts) and your cooling system is in order. Having said that, I'd roll that trailer/heep across a scale as I suspect you're going to find the trailer is a bit heavier than 1500lbs as noted above.

Doug
[/quote]

Doug,

Wow, 6,000lbs consistently with no problems. That's good to know, makes me feel even better about the load I tow regularly. How do you survive the hills? When I was towing without the blower I felt like an old lady with a walker could pass me going up even the slightest grade. Maybe I just drive too fast too. :D

Mike

We routinely cross the continental divide with our boat into Montana, and also traverse countless unnamed but far steeper grades. Look at a map of the US and put a dart in the northernmost part of Idaho and you'll see the epicenter of our boating territory. We go to British Columbia, the Puget Sound, Montana, local lakes and the 80 has been terrific. Don't get me wrong, it's not even in the same league as the dedicated tow powertrains that began appearing about 12 years ago (Powerstroke diesels, Cummins Dodges, etc) but we do fine. It's important for you to know that I'm not the kind of guy that's bothered by doing the last 2 miles of the worst passes at 25mph with the flashers on while other travelers whiz by at 70, so my version of "fine" may drive some of you nuts.

The very worst pass I've ever been on is east of Wenatchee on Hwy 2. That thing is unbelievable. I'd have to guess that my foot is within 1/4 inch of all the way floored for at least 5 minutes in first gear at 20mph. I've done it on a 95 degree day with the air on and seen the temp needle move a needle width. Just got my oil analysis back from Blackstone and all is well with my engine internals despite this severe use.

As someone else said on this board a while back, there are certainly better tow vehicles out there, but I would not consider walking away from the 80s incredibly well balanced attributes and reliability if it can get the job done in the extremes - even if it's not the first over the pass. Ya gotta give that title to the big domestic iron.

On the flats, we cruise (literally with the cruise on) at 70mph unless there's a strong headwind (boat is lower, taller and wider than the 80 and punches a HUGE hole in the air), though certainly traffic considerations dictate this. I know many of you from back east may think that's unsafe, but out west it's not uncommon to be the only vehicle in site on an interstate. I have also done 2 memorable panic stops with the boat and it's not pretty. Also, one emergency avoidance maneuver. I would definitely NOT tow like this without rear airbags to control the load, and the usual anally retentive maintenance I do.

On speed, I noticed quite a difference when I advanced the engine timing to 7 degrees. Some difference in everyday driving, but particularly in the extreme parts of towing over passes. Obviously premium gas and top grade lubes are even more important if you do this mod.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom