Towing: FJ80 with supercharger vs FJ100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So has anyone had the experience of towing a decent size enclosed trailer with and FJ80 vs a FJ100?

I'm considering the supercharger option for the 80, to tow a 7x16ft enclosed trailer, but for the cost and limited supply seems like selling it and getting a 100 w/4.7 would be about the same cost....

Last edited:
No personal experience, but towing something that big, I think the UZJ100 would be happier. SC'd 1fz's tend to run a little hot, and probably only worse with a big trailer in tow.

I've got a better idea for you. Why not keep your 80, and just buy a 100 series too, that way you'll have the best of both world's!! Now all you've got to do is sell your wife on the idea, ha ha.

@Romer has a good handle on the comparison. I'd say the 5-Speed transmission of the later 100 series will edge out the Super Charger. If you were comparing two 4-Speed trucks it would be pretty close to even.

Agreed. The SC 80 would heat up and the 100 5 speed would have more power and never get my engine buritto hot. Had to keep the 80 cooling system in tip top shape and even then it overheated a couple of times. I had to roll the windows down and turn on the heat on a hot summer day

As the owner of 80s and a hundy... Get the 100 to tow

100 series with V8 for the win with respect to towing. 80 series w/SC would be a challenge on any hills with respect to overheating, especially in hot weather. Mine runs at 195deg F climbing a 4500 foot grade over 16 miles (5% grade) with 4 people on board, at an outside air temp of 25 deg F. This is with a new TRD S/C install and a fresh head rebuild, along with a cooling system that's in good shape.

If I was doing it over, I'd have sold the 80 and bought the best 100 series I could find for the value of the 80 plus about $6k (what I spent on the S/C plus head gasket plus miscellaneous).

Better yet would be a pickup with a V8, gas or diesel.

I'd imagine the bigger chassis of the 100 would make for a better towing vehicle as well, powertrain aside.

I've driven both, each for a couple of years.

100 series hands down, even when the 80 is SC'ed

Thanks everyone! I like Rifleman's idea of getting a 100 and keeping the 80, but since the driveway will already be crowded with the trailer, that will be an especially tough sell. I think I will be posting the 80 for sale and start shopping for a 100 or a sequoia with the 2UZ drive-train next month.

If you're ok with a Tundra just go straight to the 5.7

While I absolutely loved my 2006 Tundra 4 door limited, the 2008 redo is a better tow rig in every sense of the word. A real beefy rear axle, great brakes, a stronger engine, bigger overall size. For towing it is a no brainier. Crewmax Tundra 5.7. Pretty nice setup with a bedrug and camper on the back....

Thanks everyone! I like Rifleman's idea of getting a 100 and keeping the 80, but since the driveway will already be crowded with the trailer, that will be an especially tough sell. I think I will be posting the 80 for sale and start shopping for a 100 or a sequoia with the 2UZ drive-train next month.

Yeah the 5.7 would be great. But, Too many kids and a big dog so need the SUV, and unless I can find a killer deal, I think a 2nd gen sequoia w/5.7 is out of my budget...

Yeah I was just thinking that ironically the Tundra which shares a lot of parts with the 200 would be cheaper than a really nice 100. And like I said put that bed rug in the back and a topper on it and it's an awesome place for the dog, but can't do much about the kids. Lol

Yeah the 5.7 would be great. But, Too many kids and a big dog so need the SUV, and unless I can find a killer deal, I think a 2nd gen sequoia w/5.7 is out of my budget...

kids can ride in back with the dog :eek:

2008+ sequoia (5.7) might be an option too. 4th gen 4runner and GX470 also share the same 2UZ V8 as the 100. 5-speed transmission started in MY05 (at least for the 4Runner)

I have moved up to a 200 series with a 5.7. My 100 struggled with my new Kimberley karavan up the MTN Passes. Now it is like it isn't even there.

I wheel it too. Everywhere I have taken my 80 and 100. Havn't gone back to the Rubicon yet. Thinking about it :D

r3-jpg.1309355

I have moved up to a 200 series with a 5.7. My 100 struggled with my new Kimberley karavan up the MTN Passes. Now it is like it isn't even there.

I wheel it too. Everywhere I have taken my 80 and 100. Havn't gone back to the Rubicon yet. Thinking about it :D

r3-jpg.1309355
Man I cant wait for the 200 to finally come down to a price us plebs can justify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom