Tow points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope you guys are easy on me :flipoff2:.

We got our first snow today here in the piedmont triad of N.C. Several idiots spun out into the ditch. Took my tow hitch off several months ago for off-road clearance issues and haven't put it back on yet. First time i wheeled with it on, i caught every rock and lip on the trail with that puppy. Thought about being a good semaritan and pulling a few people out today when i got to thinking, I don't have any tow hooks!

So what would i hook my truck up to to pull someone out?

Also wondering, the receiver that christo offers for the 4 holes in the stock bumper. Could i put a receiver tow ring in that and use it for pulling someone else out, or be used to pull me out?

You should have a total of 4 factory tow points. 2 in front - one each frame rail, and 2 in back that maybe you took off when you took off the receiver hitch.

oh! THe p.o. must have when he put that gear-queer brush guard on the front, and the tow hitch on the back. What about the reciever christo offers, is that strong enought?

You would have to ask Christo. I don't know anything about it.

Maybe Cdan will chirp in and let us know if you can just order some, and what they list for. I know one guy in my club needs some too.

[quote author=concretejungle link=board=2;threadid=9910;start=msg87798#msg87798 date=1073681967]
What about the reciever christo offers, is that strong enought?
[/quote]

I would think so since it's all bolted to the frame. You could even concoct your own plate to bolt there with a D-ring mount welded to it for future use. There was a post earlier last week that stated the exact purpose of the 4 bolts was for a euro type of tow hitch, you can search for more on that if you like.

hhmmpppffff......

I was gonna offer up a couple prior to that disparaging remark about those of us with brush guards....

CJ,
Don't use *anything* bolted to the pintle holes for recovery. Read Doug's informative posts regarding bolt shear forces. His knowledge and sharing it with us could very well save your life or the life of a friend.

Replace the factory tow hooks. They are designed for recovery and up to the task. Accept no substitutes unless they are on Mr Slee's front and rear bumpers. If you have the factory frame mounted hitch, it is OK to use a pin through the receiver or a D-shackle receiver.

-B-

I Honestly think that many 80 series came WITHOUT front tow hooks. I think that when all the roof racks, rear spoilers and running boards whent on..they ditched the front mud flaps and front tow hooks.

Mine didnt have them..and it looked like it never did. EVERY cruiser i see..i look for the front tow hooks...and i havent seen one.

I got mine used from cruiserparts.com....i paid like $30 for the set.

Somewhere..stuck in the corner of some port..is a pile of thousands of tow hooks..& front mud flaps..

I got factory hooks. It must be because mine is pre-343. :flipoff2:

I got 4 factory tow hooks and an OEM hitch and the sophisticated 343 tranny. The hitch is gone now and the Slee bumper serves that purpose. I still have, and use, the front ones, bolted on under the ARB. Those ARB front tabs look too flimsy for a serious pull. I agree that the best course is to buy some OEM tow points.

I've got a '97 with 4 hooks and a hitch. I think the hitch is aftermarket (later than port installed), however.

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=9910;start=msg88003#msg88003 date=1073698490]
I got factory hooks. It must be because mine is pre-343. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

And based on your stuckiness, it's a good thing you got the hooks. :flipoff2:

I have 4 on my 97 beater.

If you don't have 4 tow points it's because someone removed them. Some dealers would toss them while installing hitches (rears) because they took time to reinstall, for instance. All 80s came with 4 recovery points in the US.

DougM

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=9910;start=msg87987#msg87987 date=1073697321]
bkgii, I LOVE BRUSH GUARDS :D :D :D Just ask anyone.

Now about those 2 factory hooks, the port tossed mine when they put on the hitch.
[/quote]

Rick,

I know, I know :D :D :D

Mike

Tow hooks or more accurately "eyes" were installed at both ends of all 80 series cruisers. They were used to secure the vehicles to the auto transports. Many were "lost" during hitch and grille guard installations.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9910;start=msg88329#msg88329 date=1073761575]
Tow hooks or more accurately "eyes" were installed at both ends of all 80 series cruisers. They were used to secure the vehicles to the auto transports. Many were "lost" during hitch and grille guard installations.
[/quote]

And again is C&#039:Dan the right source. :cheers:

Mike

Is it ok if they are a little scratched up? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom