Tough dog review thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Easy boys, 1 or a few unhappy doesn’t mean it is all trash.

I had a very bad experience with a set of koni raid on my LC80, never happy with the ride arround home or a weekend trip, except for half of my heavilly loaded 1 month trip to south algeria, where they performed really well especially on fast rutted tracks, the second half however was a pain, one of my rear shock, without reasons, seized, made the ride horrible and totally unballanced. Koni refused the case even know the shock is locked, impossible to move it by hand and they knew a batch was bad, couple of guys had the issue on our europeen forums.

I replaced them by KYB, if it was not for the slight loss of wheel travel, this shocks are absolutely great for daily and less loaded trip in super comfort on lc 80 and the cost nothing if you search arround.

Everyones or almost in europe swear by these large koni raid, wasn’t my case, that said if the car is always very loaded, like dual bumper, extra tank, etc, this shocks will do great and offert good comfort in that specific configuration.

A friend just Swaped the ralph to regular 41 TD on his mid loaded 80, ralphs were unbearable on daily And weekend rides.

It is all about picking the right shock for the right application, i am in this headache for my ahc 100, was thinking of keeping it, modified it for load caring capability, was thinking about custom shocks/ rams for it but the add on cost with globes, and sensor and oil replacement just did not make sens, so now about to swap for EFS XTR as it is the only shock with longer travel for lc 100 in that price range. koni raid are 11mm longer than stock but 3 times the price and i got burned once so i try something else. xtr’s are 460mm up front extended vs 440mm for all others except king, fox, icon which are 7/8 times the price .

I was about to go for toughdogs 41mm but being oem length up front that made no sens i want all the down travel the stock arm and shaft can get.

Stay happy 🙂

I had a very bad experience with a set of koni raid on my LC80, never happy with the ride arround home or a weekend trip, except for half of my heavilly loaded 1 month trip to south algeria, where they performed really well especially on fast rutted tracks, the second half however was a pain, one of my rear shock, without reasons, seized, made the ride horrible and totally unballanced. Koni refused the case even know the shock is locked, impossible to move it by hand and they knew a batch was bad, couple of guys had the issue on our europeen forums.

I replaced them by KYB, if it was not for the slight loss of wheel travel, this shocks are absolutely great for daily and less loaded trip in super comfort on lc 80 and the cost nothing if you search arround.

Everyones or almost in europe swear by these large koni raid, wasn’t my case, that said if the car is always very loaded, like dual bumper, extra tank, etc, this shocks will do great and offert good comfort in that specific configuration.

A friend just Swaped the ralph to regular 41 TD on his mid loaded 80, ralphs were unbearable on daily And weekend rides.

It is all about picking the right shock for the right application, i am in this headache for my ahc 100, was thinking of keeping it, modified it for load caring capability, was thinking about custom shocks/ rams for it but the add on cost with globes, and sensor and oil replacement just did not make sens, so now about to swap for EFS XTR as it is the only shock with longer travel for lc 100 in that price range. koni raid are 11mm longer than stock but 3 times the price and i got burned once so i try something else. xtr’s are 460mm up front extended vs 440mm for all others except king, fox, icon which are 7/8 times the price .

I was about to go for toughdogs 41mm but being oem length up front that made no sens i want all the down travel the stock arm and shaft can get.

Stay happy 🙂

Interesting. I used KYB on an old LS430 and RX350 we used to have and were quite please with how soft and compliant they were.

Just to re-iterate, I got the jitters with all the AHC threads on Mud. I was planning to eventually do some big trips. Intially I was very happy with the product. Intially. It was totally unbearable on corrugations on a big trip, I needed pan hard rods to reduce the body roll, AHC corners dead flat. Every little imperfection on the tarmac was felt too. It was not different whether the LX was laden or unladen. It was just an atrocious suspension setup in the end and I grew to be very disappointed with it. I probably thought the world of it originally prior to those trips and i'd say whilst operable the AHC I was running on that truck was getting close to needing new spheres.

I had all new spheres, struts, pump and sensors done on my current truck and its totally unbeatable. It rides better than our 570. In sport it corners totally flat for a big truck and in comfort on local washboards its pleasant.

I'd be keen to try out someones OME as that comes very well regarded. But as somebody who owned TD and eventually got around to touring with it, I have a right to comment on my experience with it. You're an overseas rep for it, of course you're trying to defend it.

Yes I'm a dealer and of course I will defend a product I support and that has proven to be a good product for myself and many others. But, I'll call a spade a spade too. Sounds like you were oversold/ralked up on parts not needed and that was a majority of the problem, IMO. A proper set up would have made all the difference in the world. I've put the 53/45 setup with HD bars cranked tall, etc on a stockish rig (no bars, sliders and a couple hundred # of gear) and I will say it wasn't a pleasant ride, except for on the highway, it was smooth and nice. In town and offroad it simply needed A LOT MORE WEIGHT to calm it down and that is what those components are designed for. I'm surprised you praised it as much as you did, let alone later on.

All I'll say is OME converts are one my biggest client bases for 100 series suspensions and my largest promoters of TD to new 100 owners after they install and own.

Have a nice day and stay safe.

J

Stay happy 🙂

I don't stock the 53 Ralph for an 80 and honestly never sold a pair to a 80 owner. For the same price you can get the 45mm adjustable that is more compliant and gives a better ride than the 53.

The 53mm, IMO should be used with a bumper and winch setup, otherwise it's just too much shock in most cases.

A 41 or 45adj will take corrugated roads much better from my experiences.

J

Yes I'm a dealer and of course I will defend a product I support and that has proven to be a good product for myself and many others. But, I'll call a spade a spade too. Sounds like you were oversold/ralked up on parts not needed and that was a majority of the problem, IMO. A proper set up would have made all the difference in the world. I've put the 53/45 setup with HD bars cranked tall, etc on a stockish rig (no bars, sliders and a couple hundred # of gear) and I will say it wasn't a pleasant ride, except for on the highway, it was smooth and nice. In town and offroad it simply needed A LOT MORE WEIGHT to calm it down and that is what those components are designed for.

All I'll say is OME converts are one my biggest client bases for 100 series suspensions and my largest promoters of TD to new 100 owners after they install and own.

J
Yes I'm a dealer and of course I will defend a product I support and that has proven to be a good product for myself and many others. But, I'll call a spade a spade too. Sounds like you were oversold/ralked up on parts not needed and that was a majority of the problem, IMO. A proper set up would have made all the difference in the world. I've put the 53/45 setup with HD bars cranked tall, etc on a stockish rig (no bars, sliders and a couple hundred # of gear) and I will say it wasn't a pleasant ride, except for on the highway, it was smooth and nice. In town and offroad it simply needed A LOT MORE WEIGHT to calm it down and that is what those components are designed for.

J

"A spade a spade" i'm a consumer of the product and i'm allowed to give my thoughts on it which changed over time, miles and general ownership without being jumped on by a Shock absorber salesman.

Main issues,

Big Bore way too harsh, were purchased to soak up Outback corrugations without overheating. They didn't overheat but they knocked our teeth down our throats. Horrible ride. Friends EFS very compliant in his rig.

Rear adjustables, the adjuster knob is difficult to get the right setting and match it up on the other side. Need clearer adjustment settings, had to crawl under with a Legend I think you sent me. Rear right failed on corrugations or got very hot and faded to such a degree it was never the same.

Torsion Bars and Panhard rod don't keep the rig flat in twisties like AHC does.

That'll be that. I've voiced my disappointments with TD. Whether anyone takes it on board or not is up to them.

Happy mudding cruiser lovers.

"A spade a spade" i'm a consumer of the product and i'm allowed to give my thoughts on it which changed over time, miles and general ownership without being jumped on by a Shock absorber salesman.

Main issues,

Big Bore way too harsh, were purchased to soak up Outback corrugations without overheating. They didn't overheat but they knocked our teeth down our throats. Horrible ride. Friends EFS very compliant in his rig.

Rear adjustables, the adjuster knob is difficult to get the right setting and match it up on the other side. Need clearer adjustment settings, had to crawl under with a Legend I think you sent me. Rear right failed on corrugations or got very hot and faded to such a degree it was never the same.

Torsion Bars and Panhard rod don't keep the rig flat in twisties like AHC does.

That'll be that. I've voiced my disappointments with TD. Whether anyone takes it on board or not is up to them.

Happy mudding cruiser lovers.

A "spade a spade" are the parts you were sold by the "shock absorber salesman" that saw dollar signs instead of your needs, not you as a spade, as stated above, but the parts.

Given the proper components for your needs the outcome would have been different. That is what the relay is to anyone reading.

Yes you are allowed to say anything you want, as I'm allowed to do the same, whether in agreement or retort.

AHC has pitch and roll control, so for sure it will deal with that even in comfy setting way better than any aftermarket shocks, I have the front sway bar disconnected on my AHC lc100 at the moment , it makes a big big difference offroad and the AHC control the roll very nicely on road. Not sure if i will be able to do that with my next XTR setup, time will tell.

A "spade a spade" are the parts you were sold by the "shock absorber salesman" that saw dollar signs instead of your needs, not you as a spade, as stated above, but the parts.

Given the proper components for your needs the outcome would have been different. That is what the relay is to anyone reading.

Yes you are allowed to say anything you want, as I'm allowed to do the same, whether in agreement or retort.

Must be a slow day hocking junk.

Like I said, I'm sold out and waiting on more to clear customs now. Sorry you bought the wrong suspension for the salesman's needs and not yours.

Wasn't wrong set up at all, just a product that became unsatisfactory over time. I don't need to have my thoughts and experience shut down by a petulant shock absorber salesman in California about an Australian product I bought and used in Australia and gave my honest thoughts about over a period of time.

Wasn't wrong set up at all, just a product that became unsatisfactory over time. I don't need to have my thoughts and experience shut down by a petulant shock absorber salesman in California about an Australian product I bought and used in Australia and gave my honest thoughts about over a period of time.

Shocks are not Australian; Mexico or US made by Gabriel or Tenneco, rebranded just like most mfg offroad shocks. Panhard is Asia, coils are Australian.

Used in Australia, why is that any different than any other place, its not.

Petulant.. no... I just know that front suspension would never be sold by me to one of my customers and your honest thoughts are based on a bad setup from my and many others experience which is what I want people reading this to know.

Shocks are not Australian; Mexico or US made by Gabriel or Tenneco, rebranded just like most mfg offroad shocks. Panhard is Asia, coils are Australian.

Used in Australia, why is that any different than any other place, its not.

Petulant.. no... I just know that front suspension would never be sold by me to one of my customers and your honest thoughts are based on a bad setup from my and many others experience which is what I want people reading this to know.

A bad setup? How so? It was the best set up for my intents, weight and purposes including diff drop, torsion bars and panhard rod. Purchased from TD and installed by OL. Totally appropriate for a laden rig going into the Outback.

The product is just not very good in the long term experience I had with it. Absolutely god awful on washboards at speed and even on tarmac, you feel everything. Weighted and unweighted. Towing and no towing. I think it's better suited to bush pigs (Beaters) that aren't after a culmination of ride quality and smoothness and just after something affordable they can slap on to hit the trails hard. If I was doing something like The Dalton, stateside I certainly would want something else.

You can't seem to accept that somebody might have had a bad experience with something you also happen sell. I found it to be junk and I want people to know.

Just to re-iterate, I got the jitters with all the AHC threads on Mud. I was planning to eventually do some big trips. Intially I was very happy with the product. Intially. It was totally unbearable on corrugations on a big trip, I needed pan hard rods to reduce the body roll, AHC corners dead flat. Every little imperfection on the tarmac was felt too. It was not different whether the LX was laden or unladen. It was just an atrocious suspension setup in the end and I grew to be very disappointed with it. I probably thought the world of it originally prior to those trips and i'd say whilst operable the AHC I was running on that truck was getting close to needing new spheres.

I had all new spheres, struts, pump and sensors done on my current truck and its totally unbeatable. It rides better than our 570. In sport it corners totally flat for a big truck and in comfort on local washboards its pleasant.

I'd be keen to try out someones OME as that comes very well regarded. But as somebody who owned TD and eventually got around to touring with it, I have a right to comment on my experience with it. You're an overseas rep for it, of course you're trying to defend it.

Ok so if you’re saying “OME is well regarded” you must be reading the wrong places. Generally this community is moving away from OME on a mass scale for other reputable brands; ironman, dobinsons, TD, hell even Icon.You are claiming that suspension somehow ruined your fuel economy which I think is questionable at best.

It sounds like you regret taking out your AHC, so why point that at a vendor? The TD Big bore kit, which I have a ton of experience with (along with ironman FCP stuff), is designed for built vehicles with significant demands. Demands that AHC is incapable of managing. There is no possibility that I could have AHC on my vehicle due-to the weight and the terrain I drive. It wouldn’t even work on the street. But going in and throwing high spring rate bars and coils and stiff big bore shocks and then saying it rides too stiff is an expectations issue. It also sounds like you spent absolutely no time trying to figure out what was going on and were looking to spend even more money by getting a 200. To your point about Toyota engineers having the best design, stock for stock maybe, but stock Toyota suspension would not work for someone whose vehicle is as built as mine.

Did you install a diff drop? UCA’s? Extended sway bar links? If you didn’t do all of these things it’s my opinion that you cheaped out and that made your issues worse. You also, as mentioned, bought a suspension designed to bear a lot of extra weight and withstand extreme terrain and expected it to ride like the super road oriented AHC system. That’s an unreasonable expectation because Tough Dog never intended to make an AHC competitor.

You made an uneducated purchase decision 4 years ago why come back and tear someone down over a poor decision you made? Mind you that is one of the more respected supplier and fabricators in the US cruiser space.

Must be a slow day hocking junk.
Man someone has an issue with being called out.

To anyone looking at TD just remember how much he just didnt like the product he was head over heels for the product. I have the best "shock absorber salesman" in this country! We had many discussions on my setup and very grateful for that. I went from a terrible OME setup to a TD setup that is excellent. There many be many "shock absorber salesmen", but none better than Trail Tailer

Ok so if you’re saying “OME is well regarded” you must be reading the wrong places. Generally this community is moving away from OME on a mass scale for other reputable brands; ironman, dobinsons, TD, hell even Icon.You are claiming that suspension somehow ruined your fuel economy which I think is questionable at best.

It sounds like you regret taking out your AHC, so why point that at a vendor? The TD Big bore kit, which I have a ton of experience with (along with ironman FCP stuff), is designed for built vehicles with significant demands. Demands that AHC is incapable of managing. There is no possibility that I could have AHC on my vehicle due-to the weight and the terrain I drive. It wouldn’t even work on the street. But going in and throwing high spring rate bars and coils and stiff big bore shocks and then saying it rides too stiff is an expectations issue. It also sounds like you spent absolutely no time trying to figure out what was going on and were looking to spend even more money by getting a 200. To your point about Toyota engineers having the best design, stock for stock maybe, but stock Toyota suspension would not work for someone whose vehicle is as built as mine.

Did you install a diff drop? UCA’s? Extended sway bar links? If you didn’t do all of these things it’s my opinion that you cheaped out and that made your issues worse. You also, as mentioned, bought a suspension designed to bear a lot of extra weight and withstand extreme terrain and expected it to ride like the super road oriented AHC system. That’s an unreasonable

Did you install a diff drop? UCA’s? Extended sway bar links? If you didn’t do all of these things it’s my opinion that you cheaped out and that made your issues worse. You also, as mentioned, bought a suspension designed to bear a lot of extra weight and withstand extreme terrain and expected it to ride like the super road oriented AHC system. That’s an unreasonable expectation because Tough Dog never intended to make an AHC competitor.

You made an uneducated purchase decision 4 years ago why come back and tear someone down over a poor decision you made? Mind you that is one of the more respected supplier and fabricators in the US cruiser space.

OME is absolutely everywhere in Australia and very well regarded. I can stick my head under half of the 80 and 105s I see and they will be OME.

I didn't come back to tear somebody down, I was reading through recently posted threads and wrote of my bad experience with TD shocks after owning and using them and some vendor started disputing/dismissing my thoughts as if i wasn't even a consumer of the product. So much for being able to voice a bad opinion of a product one has used.

I did two major trips with them. Cape York was particularly bad. I was very disappointed with how it handled the corrugations. Anyway each to thier own. I'm a bit sick of justifying my negative experience with a set of shock absorbers on this particular thread now.

Safe Overlanding.

Last edited:
@TRAIL TAILOR - I’ve been waiting to buy a set of TD shocks to replace my failed Radflo’s for over 3 months. I’ve DM’ed you etc. Are you only selling these with a complete suspension kit these days?

@TRAIL TAILOR - I’ve been waiting to buy a set of TD shocks to replace my failed Radflo’s for over 3 months. I’ve DM’ed you etc. Are you only selling these with a complete suspension kit these days?

Interesting, I don't show anything for you in my PMs. You didn't come up as an alert for a keyword hit for me, but my phone showed your response. When I tried to open the phone message it said I was "ignoring" you. But, in my ignore list and you are NOT on my list.... Clicked on show content from you and I see this post. Sorry about this, not sure what is going on there.

All,

Tough Dog inventory update. I have bits and pieces of 100 kits, but no full kits. I have 12 pallets on a boat that has been directed "off port" until further notice and is now over 2 weeks delayed. I tried to put an AIR/Express order together but all the airlines have raised their price 3-8X the normal rates for freight. I have another sea order being collected this week from TD and on a normal schedule should be here in 9-10 weeks. I have no idea what "until further notice" means. It is my understanding the ports are prioritizing arrivals based on essential/urgent goods aboard the vessels currently and quarantine and slower than normal work habits are delaying even longer.

Currently I'm telling people 9-10 weeks hopefully, even though I have 12 pallets of goods off the coast of CA right now that should be here in less than 5 days if offloaded on a normal schedule.

J

Installed 53mm in the front & adjustable in the rear. No real off roading done yet but I do like how I can stiffen them up for Hwy driving.
Anyone want my old Radflos? I’m sure I’d have to pay somebody to take them after all of the trouble they have caused me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom