Tough dog review thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As lots of folks now have some miles on their tough dogs I thought it would be good to start a thread on them. I know this would have been nice when I started looking at suspension upgrades.

Although minimal I will start. Will have more to add soon.

I recently completed a 2500 mile trip from Denver to the San Juan mountains to bend Oregon and back to Denver. While in the San juans I broke a rear shock. I think it was my last trail coming down Imogene on the ouray side. Was actually able to get all the way to bend with essentially one shock in the back but that’s another story. Did some research and almost bought OME due to the ready availability and price, but Jason @reevesci got back to me quick and got me the 41 mm tough dog rears. Got them installed and the first week with them has been great. Got over 500 miles highway on them and the difference in turns at speed was great, but they really held their own on trail. Coming back SLC to Denver I stopped for a night off deadman pass and ran a really rocky bald mountain trail outside red feather lakes. As I am sure many of my closer to stock brothers and sisters are familiar with using the rear hitch as excellent armour coming off ledges, I kept expecting to scrape hard. But the tough dogs kept me from slamming down repeatedly on many rocks. Sliders and rear control arm bracket is another story for another thread.

I have already contacted Jason about getting some shocks for the front. I am on a budget so probably going 41s up there too, but would love to hear people’s experience with the Ralph 53s. I don’t have bumpers but do expect to put a winch up front in the not too distant future. Also looking at torsion bars. Do people find much difference in brands there?

old Shock and 41 mm
C803DA7C-A0D2-40AD-9166-014F3CB62B7A.jpeg

I love mine. TD shocks, 41mm front, TD adjustable in the back, TD torsion bars. OME springs in the back for now. My 100 rides better than my '17 Tacoma Off Road which has Bilstein 5100s, OME springs up front, and an AAL in the back. On the LC, I set the adjuster at 2 or 3 on the trail, 5 on the highway, and 7 when towing. The ability to adjust the rebound makes it like changing out to a different shock for every use. Best money you can spend on your suspension, and they are priced very nicely, too.

I am running a winch and bumper up front, sliders, dual batteries. IMHO, I don't see where you would need more than 41's, except if you are running fast off-road that is cycling the shocks a lot, where the extra volume will help keep them cool. Just crawling on regular trail, I think 41s would do fine.

I don't run a front sway bar, either. With stock shocks or the old Gabriels, on the original TBs, it wallowed in the corners. When I added the shocks, before the TD TBs, the TDs dampened that wallowing back-and -forth while cornering perfectly. I don't miss the sway bar at all.

Last edited:
LOVE my ToughDog setup. I went 53mm front/45mm adjustable rear with dual rate coils, extended links and NitroGear UCAs. I loved my AHC and it worked wonderfully well. But, the coils and tbs were going bad and needed replacing. I went all in and upgraded everything. With the ToughDog setup I've eliminated nearly all body roll, eliminated brake dive and acceleration squat and the rig feels way more controlled on both hard, soft and loose surfaces. The larger diameters allow the shocks to stay cooler and prevents them from "stacking" up. On corrugated gravel roads, the tires stay planted. I can fly at 45mph+ and take turns I never could with the AHC as the tires simply don't "skip" or skid out.

For comparison, I ran the San Juan passes (Imogene, Ophir, Cinnamon, etc) last September with my fully functioning AHC and then ran the same trails again this past week with my ToughDog suspension at HIH8. Last year, my rear hitch got a workout and my fender liners got tire rub constantly even with the AHC in high. This year, not a single scratch. No tire rub and my hitch was pretty happy with not having to take ledge strikes. More importantly, the trails were just MORE comfortable. I could take more aggressive lines and the shocks and springs worked wonderfully to smooth out the ride and eliminate body roll. Truly impressive stuff. The drive from Austin to Silverton was more comfortable as well. The bigger shocks and the dual rate coils simply smooth things out and make the drive a piece of cake.

On my rear adjustables, I run 7-8 on the highway and 4-5 off-road. I do have nearly full armor (bullbar, sliders, dual rear swingout and Gamiviti rack) along with a loaded drawer system, so the bigger shocks and heavier duty coils definitely made sense for me. Having said that, if you're not going to completely armor up.....maybe just be stock with sliders and a drawer system or rooftop tent....the 41mm could be a perfect fit.

LOVE my ToughDog setup. I went 53mm front/45mm adjustable rear with dual rate coils, extended links and NitroGear UCAs. I loved my AHC and it worked wonderfully well. But, the coils and tbs were going bad and needed replacing. I went all in and upgraded everything. With the ToughDog setup I've eliminated nearly all body roll, eliminated brake dive and acceleration squat and the rig feels way more controlled on both hard, soft and loose surfaces. The larger diameters allow the shocks to stay cooler and prevents them from "stacking" up. On corrugated gravel roads, the tires stay planted. I can fly at 45mph+ and take turns I never could with the AHC as the tires simply don't "skip" or skid out.

For comparison, I ran the San Juan passes (Imogene, Ophir, Cinnamon, etc) last September with my fully functioning AHC and then ran the same trails again this past week with my ToughDog suspension at HIH8. Last year, my rear hitch got a workout and my fender liners got tire rub constantly even with the AHC in high. This year, not a single scratch. No tire rub and my hitch was pretty happy with not having to take ledge strikes. More importantly, the trails were just MORE comfortable. I could take more aggressive lines and the shocks and springs worked wonderfully to smooth out the ride and eliminate body roll. Truly impressive stuff. The drive from Austin to Silverton was more comfortable as well. The bigger shocks and the dual rate coils simply smooth things out and make the drive a piece of cake.

On my rear adjustables, I run 7-8 on the highway and 4-5 off-road. I do have nearly full armor (bullbar, sliders, dual rear swingout and Gamiviti rack) along with a loaded drawer system, so the bigger shocks and heavier duty coils definitely made sense for me. Having said that, if you're not going to completely armor up.....maybe just be stock with sliders and a drawer system or rooftop tent....the 41mm could be a perfect fit.
With the 53mm shocks, nitro UCAs, and extended anti-sway links how much extra droop would you say that setup has given you?

And as not to high jack I run the rear tough dog adjustables and love them. The adjustability is so awesome. It’s like having the comfort options of AHC without having the worry of it failing.

I've seen that, But I'v already got springs and torsion bars. Shocks need to be replaced soon, and haven't been able to find just the shocks for sale.
Shoot @reevesci a pm. He will take care of you.

These prices are a bit old, not sure if they have been updated:
Front 41mm --128.00 each shipped
Rear 41mm -- 128.00 each shipped

Front 53mm -- 195.00 each shipped
Rear 45mm adjustable-- 195.00 each shipped

I've been thinking about what to do with my suspension lately. Been tossing around the idea of OME rear springs with ToughDog TBs/Shocks (if anyone has done a "hybrid" setup like this let me know your thoughts/outcome). I'll have to give @reevesci a call sometime and discuss my best options. Probably gonna end up doing it piece by piece like everything else due to being on a budget.

But I really am tempted to just save a bit longer and go all out with TD and not look back.

Edit: yeah my b on sorta jacking this thread so early

I've been thinking about what to do with my suspension lately. Been tossing around the idea of OME rear springs with ToughDog TBs/Shocks (if anyone has done a "hybrid" setup like this let me know your thoughts/outcome). I'll have to give @reevesci a call sometime and discuss my best options. Probably gonna end up doing it piece by piece like everything else due to being on a budget.

But I really am tempted to just save a bit longer and go all out with TD and not look back.

I have OME 2866 on my rig, just because I got them for a six pack. Springs are the cheapest component on the suspension and I will probably switch eventually.

I have been running my Tough Dog suspension for about 20k miles now. My setup is:

TD torsions
45mm adjustable rears
53mm fronts
Rear 2.5” medium duty coils

I absolutely love this setup. I’ve ridden in practically all the different options (minus big players like icon) and TD still remains my favorite. I’ve had zero issues whatsoever and I have run this setup HARD. I love the adjustable rears as you can change the ride depending on the load your carrying and the conditions your riding in. If anyone is even considering a suspension kit, go Tough Dog.

Are the UCAs suggested/required when going to the TD setup with the mild lift?

From what I've seen, you don't really need the UCAs until like a 2"/2.5"+ lift. Until then, your stock ones should be enough to stay in factory alignment spec. Unless you want the peace of mind or something.

Are the UCAs suggested/required when going to the TD setup with the mild lift?
It’s the same with any lift. After a certain amount of lift, UCAs are recommended to get alignment specs back in check. They aren’t ever required. I’ve been running lifted at 2.5” for over 2 years with no ill effects.

Could I benefit from them? Yes, and they’re on my list. But it still drives straight and handles safely and well, so I’m fine for the time being.

That was what I reviewed above, have that setup.. :)

Ok I got a little scared in the interest in this thread and contacted Jason to get some 41s for the front. Plus it is wheeling season in CO and I don't see why I should keep riding trails on my junk front shocks. Amazing how quickly I went from thinking they were fine to no good.

So on price. Some folks don't like to put prices in threads cause they can change over time, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the price point on these. I mean $15-20 more per shock than OME nitro chargers and ~$60 or so less per shock than iron man foam cell. Plus trail tailor customer service. That being said, Jason mentioned that his prices on these are going to go up soon and if there were enough interest, he might offer a group buy before that happens. So if others are interested maybe mention here and then I would assume an actual group buy thread would get started.

Somehow totally read over "OME Springs," but good to know! I'm thinking I'll order those soon and crank my factory TBs a bit and drive it like that.
I’m running a “hybrid” too. I have Iron Man Foam Cell Pros up front, OME torsion bars, OME 863s, and Tough Dog Adjustables in the back.
Overall I think it’s ptetty darn sweet. I towed my 4K camper 2000k miles from Ga to Silverton and ran Black Bear, Poughkeepsie, and Imogene(twice) then towed the camper back to GA. I was really amazed at the behavior of the suspension during all of this.

I really can’t complain about my setup now but I will be replacing the Iron Man Foam Cell Pros with 53mm Tough Dogs at some point because I want to try them out.

I also put a pair of the 2” Tough Dog constant tourflex springs on the day before I left for HIHs but they sat about 1” too low for my liking so I put my 863s back on for the trip. I still want to try out the tourflex so I’m probably either going to put a 30mm spacer in with the 2” springs or sell them in the classifieds and order the 3”.

To be clear the rear adjustable Tough Dog shocks are without a doubt the best mod/upgrade I’ve made to date. They are a game changer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom