Tough Dog Foam Adjustable Shocks -anyone running them? (1 Viewer)

Calgary40

SILVER Star
Going on a 55, debating bilstein reservoir and tough dog. I know someone who is happy with them on their 80, but curious if anyone in this crowd has experience. The reservoir will last a long time, but I like the idea of loosening things up when I get to the trail, but still able to be firm around town - thoughts?

Wondering if Tough Dog isn't paying for their brand name to be applied to Rancho's RS9000 XL shock. I run the Rancho's on 2 of my vehicles, one being a '73 FJ-40. I wouldn't run them if I didn't like them.

Calgary40

SILVER Star
They certainly are similar...but the TD ones are foam core, i don't think the Ranchos are... I assume you have had them for a while @B y r o n - any problem with the switch or adjuster sticking or breaking?

Last edited:
They certainly are similar...but the TD ones are foam core, i don't think the Ranchos are... I assume you have had them for a while @B y r o n - any problem with the switch or adjuster sticking or breaking?

No problem with the switch. Was running the air adjuster setup on my truck but couldn't stop a leak (mounted compressor under cup holder tight turn on line) so simply put back in the manual adjustment knobs.

offrd63

Ain't you done yet!
I also used the Rancho's. The idea of tuning the shocks for the road or trail sounded good to me too. I found out that #1 It was a pain in the ass to crawl under the rig and adjust shocks all the time and #2 was that it really didn't matter where they were set because they were just plain stiff or STIFFER. I ran them with the original OME's at the time. I finally just set them somewhere in the middle and just left them there.
A couple of long years later I switched to Bilsteins and it felt like a different rig altogether. It was a much better ride and I didn't miss the stiff ride on any road condition at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom