Totally bizare random starting problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Totally bizarre random turnover starting problem.

Over the years my '86 about three to four times a year would not turn over. Just a faint click.
The ignition lock is a bit worn out but it works.

So I thought to bypass the random problem I installed a starter button parallel to the start position wiring.

So far so good, two option to start her. :D

One day when it acted up again I discovered that it does the same with the starter button I installed. Click.

Ignition on, push the starter button and a faint click. :crybaby:

Now then, enter the bizarre: :mad:

When I put the truck in gear, let go of the clutch and rock (even while sitting in my seat) a bit back and forth, so the engine turns a minute bit, thereafter trying again, she turns over and starts just fine! :confused:

It's not the starter because when I check the latter all is fine.
It's not the grounding of engine/starter to chassis/battery either!
All is fine as well.

:doh:!

So WTF is causing this and why when (with not engaged starter) but ignition on slightly turning the engine as described above does all suddenly work again?

Hey Car Talk Click and Clack, Watchasez?

I don't know how you have the button wired, but frequently these kinds of symptoms can be traced to the stater switch - the switch behind the ign lock ...

I know you say it's not the starter, but if you have checked the wiring and all the connections are clean and secure, and you've bypassed the ignition switch with a starter button, then I say it is the starter. A click is a common, easily fixable starter issue. Starter contacts and/or plunger. As always, JMHO.

I don't know how you have the button wired, but frequently these kinds of symptoms can be traced to the stater switch - the switch behind the ign lock ...

as mentioned in my post the starter button is wired in parallel to the wires on the key switch.

I know you say it's not the starter, but if you have checked the wiring and all the connections are clean and secure, and you've bypassed the ignition switch with a starter button, then I say it is the starter. A click is a common, easily fixable starter issue. Starter contacts and/or plunger. As always, JMHO.

Yup! Did that. If it is the starter after all why would it work again when turn the engine a bit w/o the starter engaged? :confused:

neutral safety switch??? fusible links? I'm going with the first one....check wiring from NSS for loose/frayed wires...check NSS for change of states with ohm meter...bypass NSS???

Yup! Did that. If it is the starter after all why would it work again when turn the engine a bit w/o the starter engaged? :confused:

Starter solenoids go bad, and the "click" but no start could be that the solenoid isn't engaging fully. Rocking the car frees up the solenoid, and it starts. I'd suggest buying a starter rebuild kit (~$30) and giving that a try. There's a thread on here with pics and instructions. Looks pretty straightforward.

Lovetoski,
I am not aware of a part that can be ordered OEM from Toyota that replaces the starter's solenoid. I have replaced the copper contacts and the plunger (has copper washer on it) as the starter rebuild thread on here has shown. If there is a replaceable solenoid then I'd be up for swapping it.

Dorcom,
Your issue is not bizarre and is quite normal among old cruisers with tired starters. Mine does the same thing occasionally, mostly when it has been run for a long period and in hot weather. I have found that if I turn the key on and off and different quick intervals it will eventually get the plunger to move into place and start. Lovetoski is correct in referencing the solenoid as it is the electromagnetic force that pushes the plunger into place.

Another option when this issue occurs is to get under your truck and tap your starter with a hammer. This tap does the same thing you rocking your car does and frees up the solenoid/plunger and allows it to move and start the car.

I wonder if we can have our starters rewound like an alternator?

My solution is to eventually go with dual batteries and the extra cold cranking amps (CCA's) should overcome the tired starter.

The quick and expensive fix is to buy a new starter from Toyota...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom