Torque Converter gone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.actionjackson.com
Hi everyone! I've been wheeling my 80 on 40" tires for some time now and have done some narly obstacles with plenty of power. I'm geared with 5.29's and have a stock 94 transfer.

Recent trip to Holy Cross I had a strange thing happen to me where I was on the last obstacle (cleveland rock) and didn't have enough power to turn the tires on the wall. Pedal all the way down. I know the cruiser normally would have enough power to turn the tires. I didn't have anymore load than I usually do. I thought it could have been the air flow but my air filter looked good. Could it be bad gas coming up from Denver?

I'm thinking perhaps it's my torque converter going out. Would that explain the loss of power? I know it's time for that crawler case ;p ....I've been putting that off too long. But first I want to identify the real problem and make sure it's fixed. Thanks!

Shawn,

Did it work OK after you got out of the trail?
Last year on the Dusy with 35s and stock gearing my torque converter stalled on several obstacles. I could hear it hear it whine.
Since, I've re-geared to 4.88s and I've had no problems. I've done the Rubicon, but I have not been back to the Dusy.

Regards

Alvaro

Action, you want the good or the bad news. Good news is that your torque converter is ok. Bad news is you need more gearing. I have seen that happen to a number of trucks on the same spot. High altitute, not enough gearing and you can not get the truck to move.

sleeoffroad said:
Action, you want the good or the bad news. Good news is that your torque converter is ok. Bad news is you need more gearing. I have seen that happen to a number of trucks on the same spot. High altitute, not enough gearing and you can not get the truck to move.

Wow! :eek: Even with 5.29s?

Yeah I have never done a wall obstacle at that altitude. I've done moab walls no problem even pritchett but that was at very low altitudes and that was with my 40's.

So I guess I'm maxed out at high altitudes :mad: Oh well that cruiser crawler box will be my next upgrade then. $2800 is a lot of mulla just for a crawler box. Anyone know if the bugs have been worked out of Mark's 4WD crawler? I may call them later today.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Christo,

The Dusy-Ershim trail sits around 9000 ft. That would explain why it hasn't happened anywhere else.

Regards

Alvaro

That's exactly what I experienced. You can hear the whining but if you took a look at my video the tires barely turned at all. I wanted a little momentum to get up a ledge but the truck couldn't give me more than just a little movement. Same thing happened at the obstacle before the creek. Both of which are at higher elevations than normal.

Click to watch the video coming up.

Here is the obstacle going down.
img_2796_640.jpg

This obstacle is not that crazy. I should have been able to get up this no problem. Everyone was amazed I couldn't get up it. :eek: I had no power on that mountain that day!

Time for the crawler! :bounce: At least my chromolies are holding up nicely.

A blower helps at that elevation, moire power turns the TC alot easier. But I agree it sounds like not enough power or gearing. Or convert to a 5 speed and deal with the burned clutches. Only money Shawn. later robbie

Shawn,

How much pressure did you have on your tires?
They seemed pretty full by watching the video.

Regards

Alvaro

There is a effective limit you have to take into account when dealing with a turbo. Pushing a turbo hard at high elevations is risking over spinning and doing damage to the bearing. Just one thing to consider on a turbo at high elevations. A crawler is cheaper than a turbo system, but may not be cheaper than a blower (imho). later robbie

actionjackson said:
Anyone know if the bugs have been worked out of Mark's 4WD crawler? I may call them later today.

Yes, I am extremely happy with the box in my truck right now. Mark came and personally fixed it. After taking my truck through Penrose and not breaking anything and having way more control than before I highly recommend it for those that need it. It is a lot, but with what you have in your truck now, I think it will make the world of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom