Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All the accessories are now in their place. An parts for making a new high pressure steering hose will be here today. Ran into a distraction or as I refer to "squirrel". Tore down the old 8274 that was gracing the shop floor. Gigglepin upgrades coming. Would have run as is but I cracked the clutch engagement pull. So while I'm in there might as well have a drain tig welded in place, going to upgrade the brake friction material and some other small upgrades like motor, solenoids, line, and a side cover. Circa early to mid 70's 8274. Will need to have metal added to allow the side cover to attach.

20201120_095400.jpg

20201120_095331.jpg

Started final assembly. Built a new power steering hose. Bolted on the fenders and reorganized the last of the body panels so I could get shop space back. Working on chefs truck tomorrow so 2 hour commute.

20201120_171247.jpg

20201120_172348.jpg

16059295106084279298068123188615.jpg

20201120_211446.jpg

Been snoozing on my project but got a day free to make a quick paint stand to hold some small stuff. Pewter is flying during the Chiefs game. Modified a new blast cabinet to assist.

20210103_164743.jpg

20201230_211114.jpg

Front bumper finally on the truck. Not gracing the floor of the shop. 8274 resto still ongoing. Jenn gave me a gift certificate to Custom Splice in Lawrence Ks. for Xmas. Hope to pick up a factor55 flatlink and some rope later this winter.
New cabinet came in handy last night blasting the 8274 drum. Game changer not making a mess!
Should have the majority of the 8274 together by the end of the week.. I have NOT taken apart the brake assembly yet. Wanted to get the rest of it off the workbench first.

bumper1.4.2021.jpg

Self isolating after a trip to Mexico. Getting some small stuff painted and assembled. Shot pewter on fog lights, turn signals, mirrors. Built a new inner attachment for a passenger mirror. Waiting on paint to dry. Now to clean the garage again and test fit hardtop pieces so i can finish aligning cab mounts and fenders.

20210123_103754.jpg

20210123_103806.jpg

20210123_104039.jpg

Sometimes you just need to work on something smaller. Finished up the 8274 rebuild. Waiting on a wire crimper to finish some wiring on the 45 and a few other trucks. That will allow me to crimp new winch and battery lead. Waiting on the bench is an albright solenoid to be mounted in the engine bay. New motor, new gigglepin freespool handle assembly Gigglepin FreeSpool Handle - https://gigglepin4x4.net/gigglepin-freespool-handle-replacement-for-warn-8274-1945-p.asp new motor gear, new replacement stickers etc. I used the gigglepin brake service kit with the upgraded brake shoes. Brake Rebuld Kit for Warn 8274 or Gigglepin range of Winches - https://gigglepin4x4.net/brake-rebuild-kit-1964-p.asp
Next a roadtrip to Customsplice for some new synthetic rope and a factor 55 flatlink.
I have been test fitting the roof assembly prior to paint. Spring is coming quick! Somehow i ended up with 3 roof panels. OEM, which was beat pretty badly including at least one rifle round hole, a reproduction from South America, needs some massaging to fit, and what i imagine is a Gozzard fiberglass roof cap. Jury is still out but leaning towards the Gozzard for now and will figure out the windshield to roof latches later.

2.1.2021 8271.1.jpg

2.1.2021 8274.2.jpg

2.1.2021 8274.3.jpg

2.1.2021 8274.4.jpg

Note from Cam @FJ60Cam at Mosley Motors.. Alternator is done and in the mail! for those that do not know.. service avail here.. FJ40 Rebuilt Alternator FJ60 Alternator Rebuild — MOSLEY MOTORS - https://www.mosleymotors.com/alternator-restorations
I sent one that was a 3fe Toyota Reman but just wanted to get it cleaned up and checked. it wasn't pretty before it went out.. Was not really going to match a new water pump, new exhaust, etc. So off to the spa it went.
Just let him know it is on the way via the website link. Put the order # on and in the box with the alternator and you should get a cleaned up ready to go unit back in 2-4 weeks.

62altrebuilt.jpeg

Note from Cam @FJ60Cam at Mosley Motors.. Alternator is done and in the mail! for those that do not know.. service avail here.. FJ40 Rebuilt Alternator FJ60 Alternator Rebuild — MOSLEY MOTORS - https://www.mosleymotors.com/alternator-restorations
I sent one that was a 3fe Toyota Reman but just wanted to get it cleaned up and checked. it wasn't pretty before it went out.. Was not really going to match a new water pump, new exhaust, etc. So off to the spa it went.
Just let him know it is on the way via the website link. Put the order # on and in the box with the alternator and you should get a cleaned up ready to go unit back in 2-4 weeks.

View attachment 2574416
Damn that looks nice!

Weekend home, I live in Kansas City and well, Superbowl weekend.. Started the back panel bodywork. Slow process, was having a hard time keeping the shop temps up so cure time for all products was longer than normal. I had the metal whisperer that @Chef uses for his body work do a little massaging on a few dents. One had no way to get behind and hammer/dolly out. I don't have a stud welder, don't want one and don't want to learn to use one.. The Metal Wisperer pulled a few dents, extracted a bunch of broken bolts and gave me a huge head start. Quick phone coaching lesson from @2fpower and the loan of a longboard and i was ready to go. Used a little guide coat to find the high spots from the stud welder. Tapped those down. Panel had been media blasted years ago and put in SPI epoxy at that time. Little pre work bondo on the really bad spots, finished scuffing the back and put it in a fresh coat of epoxy. Little more skim coat on some of the smaller dents that became visible after the coat of epoxy.

45Back1.jpg

45back2.jpg

45back3.jpg

Next order of business is inside the boxed areas.. Used an Eastwood product that reminds me of POR15 but in a spray can with an extension nozzle. I should have read the directions and worn gloves! After sealing everything boxed in on the back panel and the windshield frame I moved on to 2part SEM seam sealer. there are a LOT of seams on a 45 roof. The tape assist with a clean seam sealer line. Tech tip, i used a scalpel to assist with clean tape lines. Final picture is a quick coat of reduced epoxy to seal everything again. Next will be some build primer to fill in the scratches. Not going for perfect but going for pretty darn good. Hard stop at 3pm Sunday for a shower and trip with the doggo to pick up wings for the game..

45back4.jpg

45back5.jpg

45back6.jpg

45back7.jpg

Truck looking great. I’m so impressed with the people here tackling body work. Sorry about the Chiefs if you’re a fan.

I picture you being able to enjoy the wings all to yourself as soon as someone saw you reach into them with the “frame coat” fingers.

Too cold really to shoot paint.. for some reason it is 4deg here. Ordered a garage heater that should arrive tomorrow. I'll get that wired up so i can soldier on correctly. Regardless. Cleaned, scuffed (took 2 evenings) and epoxied (took 5 min) the inside of the back roof panel. A few runs because it really is too cold to paint. The epoxy will take a lot longer to set up but will do it's thing. Need to get the temps up in the garage and on the panel before i can do anything else. There are 3 coats of build primer on the back. I'll start block sanding it while waiting. The inside lower portion of the back panel will probably get some damplifier Damplifier™ Deadening Mats - https://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadening/damplifier with some color matched bedliner but the rest of the inside of the top will be getting single stage. I see no reason to color and clear all the inside of the roof panel. Base and clear on the outside but seems like a waste of time and the opportunity for a lot of runs on the edges if i color and clear the inside. I'm not a pro painter so hitting the easy button.

2.11.2021 Back1.jpg

2.11.2021Back2.jpg

Doesn't look like progress but those that have done bodywork understand the hand cramps. Final blocking of the back of the panel still to come. Still lots of work to go.

20210213_112727.jpg

20210213_184017.jpg

20210214_084633.jpg

So cool. What is your paint area setup? Did you go all out with a garage paint booth? I’m at about this stage on my 40 and trying to decide what to do.

Paint booth is simple. Away from hvac of house, negative draw with a used furnace fan in a box pointing out to driveway. Roll up plastic sheet that is stapled to furring straps on the ceiling. Used to run furnace filters but they clog fast. My driveway has a cool stripe at the exit. False panel on the bottom of the garage door to fill the void. I unscrew the top panel of the door and lock it down against the other panels to keep everything flush. Good clean air is the key. Only use the output hose of this filter for blasting and painting. Aka no oil or water in the line. I replace the plastic sheets often.

20210214_112711.jpg

20210214_112723.jpg

16133238994594631691984889762232.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom