Torn between Stt pro c rated and st maxx (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to order some tires this week for my gx470, and definitely not going with the ever popular 285s. Most likely 255/75/17 max or pro c rated. Considering 255 80 17 e rated st max as well.I'm down to two tire choices, the st maxx or go all out with the stt pro. It is a daily driver with a short straight drive on the highway to work. In northern California so it sees its fair share or mountain and twisty coastal roads. Want the most capable tire while being mild on the street. Seems the st maxx is safest bet though not as capable as the pro. I tend to over think and would hate to be in the middle of nowhere wishing I had the pro.

Last edited:
Did you consider Toyo MT’s? Just curious.

Did you consider Toyo MT’s? Just curious.

I was looking to those as well, out of all the tires I've compared, I can't say I've seen any negative reviews on them aside from price. Since I'm leaning more towards 255/75, I'll probably end up with the coopers again. Right now I'm running 245/75/17 st maxx.

What width is your wheel?

Vehicle also, I'm trying to identify what your putting them on.

E306F688-357F-4749-B71C-A5613DAF5398.jpeg

I really love my STT pros off-road but they are a lot to put up with for a daily driver. They are heavy and will be noisier than an AT.

View attachment 2483149

I really love my STT pros off-road but they are a lot to put up with for a daily driver. They are heavy and will be noisier than an AT.

Yep!

I run ST Maxx on most of my rigs and the STT Pro on my more dedicated trail (non DD) rigs. BUT, just acquired a GX470 and its getting Falken AT3 Wildpeaks. Recently tried this tire on my wife's Armada and really like the ride, quiet and bite of this tire.

J

Since I've posted this, I am almost definitely going with the st maxx. 255 80 17. I am already on 245 75 17 st maxx ready for replacement. Ive already modded the fender. Seems body mount isnt an issue with the 80s. I'm used to the e rated and even at stock height the 245 75 17 seem tinny. Weigh about 53 lbs.

Yep!

I run ST Maxx on most of my rigs and the STT Pro on my more dedicated trail (non DD) rigs. BUT, just acquired a GX470 and its getting Falken AT3 Wildpeaks. Recently tried this tire on my wife's Armada and really like the ride, quiet and bite of this tire.

J
I appreciate all input with experience running both tires. I figured since its a daily, st maxx would be best. While still having a tough tire. I figure if it's good enough for mine spec vehicles, would be more than adequate for mine. Plus the 4.7 should handle the 255/80.
I know a guy running Wildpeaks and really likes them. Can't wait to see that gx470 build!

I have the STT Pro's on my 60 and love them. Have taken many trips over 200 miles and never really bothered me. I've had MT and AT on my cruisers, and for me the ride difference is negligible. May be more noticable on a IFS truck, so can't compare.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom