Top Door Hinge - trick to remove ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, getting ready to peel away the top and (hopefully) the doors. In the past, I have left the doors on for the summer, given my experience with the top hinge.

Is there a trick or easy way to get this hinge off and on ? I spend as much time with my hand and wrench coaxing, pulling and dropping f-bombs with those two top hinges as I do getting the rest of the top off.

Any ideas ? Or am I just a dork - which is highly probable anyway.

Mark

Just took my doors off, but I just knock out the pin. One trick I learned was on the top hinge, put the pin in from the bottom. I never take the hinge off the door. It's a little tough to knock it out from the bottom, might scrap a little paint on the windshielf frame.

Just took my doors off, but I just knock out the pin. One trick I learned was on the top hinge, put the pin in from the bottom. I never take the hinge off the door. It's a little tough to knock it out from the bottom, might scrap a little paint on the windshielf frame.

There - I am a loser. :bang:

Taking the pin only out would make life much easier !

Is that what most people do ?

My hinge pins were a total PITA to get out. Had to work on each of them about 10mins each especially if they have never been out. Good luck.

One trick I learned was on the top hinge, put the pin in from the bottom.

x2..

one thing to mention.. if you are frequently taking the pins out and putting them back in.. you will most likely mash up the plastic hinge spacers.. have a new set on hand for the end of the summer when it's time to put the doors back on for a while.. or look into getting a set of brass ones which i would imagine are more durable.

I use a rubber mallet and a small punch, works every time. When I put the doors back on I buy a little tube of anti seize and put it on the pins. Another thing you can do is sand the pins down just a bit.

Fear of scr@tching paint led me to mask off around the hinge with masking tape or duct tape.
Some gas on a rag takes any adhesive residue right off.

After taking the top pin out, grind 1 side of the pin top.

This will eliminate the paint scratching next time you remove it (assuming you put it back in correctly)

x2..

one thing to mention.. if you are frequently taking the pins out and putting them back in.. you will most likely mash up the plastic hinge spacers.. have a new set on hand for the end of the summer when it's time to put the doors back on for a while.. or look into getting a set of brass ones which i would imagine are more durable.
My doors are off on off on....well any way I just got a set of the brass bushings from e-bay, they are well worth it. The plastic ones will wear out if the doors are on and off like mine, top pin in from bottom to top....not too sure if I like that.

Some of you may not like this idea.. but I took my top pins and ground off half of the head so that the come out without having to touch the window frame..then when you install it just turn the head where the ground part is facing the door..somewhat hidden

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom