Tools... what to double up on what to cut loose... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's easy, just use the tools you need for your normal 4Rumner projects at home. Then have that exact set in your vehicle for trail repairs. if it all possible, don't use the trail tools as your garage tools. Yeah you will have double tools but once you have your trail tool set up it should always stay in the back of the rig.

The exception being the gigantic socket for the front hub, it's too rare of a tool and it should always be in the back of your rig. Borrow it from the rig use it, then put it back in the rig. Good chance you may never use it for your own use, but if somebody else breaks something on the front end on the trail you can help out and contribute. You also need a gigantic wrench handle for that socket 🤣

Disclaimer: I have had quite a few shots of whiskey from the neighbor camper so I hope this all made sense!
Dedicated tool set is the idea, my problem is-I've never had a "normal 4Runner project" or any project on it for that matter! I have little notion of where to start!

Start with the normal sockets (6mm - 19mm, spark plug socket), 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive, box wrenches (8mm - 19mm), and gear wrenches (10, 12, 14mm). Add to that as you tackle projects. 21mm, 24mm, etc. Plus the usual pliers and screw drivers.

Untitled.png

If you run into some band-type hose clamps, that the hex on the end is 5/16th - because the screwdriver never fits in the space provided.

Pair of leather gloves, few pairs of nitrile gloves, small mirror (wide-angle is best), and/or cell phone borescope, flashlight, half a tarp for working on the ground, one original plastic battery post cover for when the cable is removed from the negative...

My wife just carries her cell phone and this.
MVIMG_20200808_072105.jpg

If she breaks down she calls me and waits with her little friend.

My daughter does the same, but her buddy is a S&W Shield 9mm

My wife just carries her cell phone and this.

If she breaks down she calls me and waits with her little friend.

My daughter does the same, but her buddy is a S&W Shield 9mm
I approve her choice ... though, I prefer the VP9SK. :cool:

I approve her choice ... though, I prefer the VP9SK. :cool:

I am not a fan of H&K pistols. If you ask me they are uglier than a Glock. The wife fell in love with hers right away, and shoots it well. It was an I.C.E. trade-in. Has the LEM trigger so its super simple.

I do love a H&K SMG though.

If you’ve got one, you’ve got none...lol. I just removed 50 pounds of redundancy from my drawers a couple of weeks ago. I carry 8mm-19mm, 22mm sockets, normal an shallow, axle hub socket, ratcheting box ends in the same range. Wire cutter/strippers, splices. Plastic/rubber mallet, a real mallet, breaker bar, 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. I do most of my work out of the drawer to make sure I have what I need. Chances are, if it didn’t come on the truck when I bought it, it is the most likely to fail.

Thanks for the prompt J, been meaning to make time to do this in anticipation of September wheeling! I sorta agree with Ali, take what you need for BASIC repairs. Critical are 54mm socket, brass drift, snap ring pliers, two 14mm combination wrenches. Some kinda cutting and prying tools. I’ve used my brake fitting plugs three times now, indispensable. Below are tools and recovery stuff that goes from truck to truck... missing are ball joint separator for the IFS pickup. Each rig has its own highlift and spare parts. I go solo a lot so I guess I overcompensate
AB701B95-2500-411F-B4DF-227B83D6DB90.jpeg
9C5F94DA-7D6E-42F6-A36D-146BB59B52CF.jpeg

Simple, do projects and track your tool usage. You'll see a common size that'll become obvious. 10,12,14,17,19,21 are common.

Dedicated tool set is the idea, my problem is-I've never had a "normal 4Runner project" or any project on it for that matter! I have little notion of where to start!

Thanks for the prompt J, been meaning to make time to do this in anticipation of September wheeling! I sorta agree with Ali, take what you need for BASIC repairs. Critical are 54mm socket, brass drift, snap ring pliers, two 14mm combination wrenches. Some kinda cutting and prying tools. I’ve used my brake fitting plugs three times now, indispensable. Below are tools and recovery stuff that goes from truck to truck... missing are ball joint separator for the IFS pickup. Each rig has its own highlift and spare parts. I go solo a lot so I guess I overcompensate View attachment 2397740View attachment 2397742
Wow....

No, not really. It all fits in a 30x24x6 box. Doing this inventory motivates me to eliminate some redundancy. That damn jerk rope takes up way too much space for the rare times I’ve used it, and there’s definitely too many “just in case” things I should pare down

I say ditch the rubber mallet and replace it with a good quality dead blow hammer. You might throw in a ball joint separator too.

Start with the normal sockets (6mm - 19mm, spark plug socket), 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive, box wrenches (8mm - 19mm), and gear wrenches (10, 12, 14mm). Add to that as you tackle projects. 21mm, 24mm, etc. Plus the usual pliers and screw drivers.
This. I don't bother with 6mm. Nothing that small is critical on the trail. :) Skip 11, 13, 15, 16, 18 unless you've encountered them on your rig. When you break something you don't have the right tool for, Ali or someone else in the group will have it and you can add it for next time.

I say ditch the rubber mallet and replace it with a good quality dead blow hammer. You might throw in a ball joint separator too.

Is it easy to replace a BJ in the field? From what I recall, I had to rent a separator from AutoZone, use various long handled tools, MAPP gas torch and some cussing. I think it's more practical to swap out the BJs at home if it's a high mileage unit.

The one time I was unsure of my BJs going to fail was when I drove the 4runner to Death Valley. I simply carried two LCAs and one CV axle in the spare box. Those three things take up a LOT of room but I didn't want a broken BJ on an obstacle, 16 hours from home.

Regarding the hammer, a decent weighted hammer serves well for field repairs as well as driving tent stakes into hard ground. Just be prepare to pull them out with some kind of leverage afterwards :bang:

While I've never done this, using two equally weighted hammers can be used to drive out tie rod ends by smacking the rod end at the same time and with same velocity. Something about elastic deformation and blah blah blah. I just carry a tie rod end separator tool :flipoff2:

Is it easy to replace a BJ in the field? ..... I just carry a tie rod end separator tool :flipoff2:

Sorry, misstated, I meant tie rod/pitman arm separator.
For when this happens which is not uncommon on the IFS truck

Is it easy to replace a BJ in the field? From what I recall, I had to rent a separator from AutoZone, use various long handled tools, MAPP gas torch and some cussing. I think it's more practical to swap out the BJs at home if it's a high mileage unit.

The one time I was unsure of my BJs going to fail was when I drove the 4runner to Death Valley. I simply carried two LCAs and one CV axle in the spare box. Those three things take up a LOT of room but I didn't want a broken BJ on an obstacle, 16 hours from home.

Regarding the hammer, a decent weighted hammer serves well for field repairs as well as driving tent stakes into hard ground. Just be prepare to pull them out with some kind of leverage afterwards :bang:

While I've never done this, using two equally weighted hammers can be used to drive out tie rod ends by smacking the rod end at the same time and with same velocity. Something about elastic deformation and blah blah blah. I just carry a tie rod end separator tool :flipoff2:

I should have said tie rod end separator. That's what I have and I've used it on all the ball joints with a 3/8 breaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom