Tools R Us is a BAD DUDE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So then.

If I can only come up with a blade that is not as potent as the original, the clutch could be "tuned" to overcome, at least partly, that issue...:D

So Dan you are thinking that a different fan blade is still the way to go?

Rainy Day FZJ said:
So Dan you are thinking that a different fan blade is still the way to go?

Um,

YUP.

You see, the ringed blade (supplied as part of the blower kit) is just not correct for this application (in my opinion).

This entire discussion applies only to supercharged vehicles. Stock vehicles will still have the massive OEM conventional blade and if said vehicles have heating issues they have other problems.

We are trying to "fix" supercharged vehicles only in this case.

D-

Steel fans there. dunno about the increased tortional loads on the water pump bearings from the additional weight.

Steel fans also tend to be much more effective when it comes to tearing things up when they let go.......

Sorta like the difference between rubber bullets and copper jacketed lead ones........ ;)

always with the military analogies :D

did not even notice the steel. I saw the custom fabrication services and large selection of fans and figured they might be able to come up with something. I guess the problem would be matching the mount pattern.

Derale may also be an option, but if there is a factory fan that will work that would be the cleanest install. The Toyota fans are very well designed, fit the clutch, have the clutch airflow ring, good units.

http://www.derale.com/fanclutchfans.shtml

Again, steel fans.

I do not think the water pump bearings are up to the task and I do not feel like being a test mule for that one.

So that would mean that every supercharged truck has a problem?
Is the overheating caused in part by the exterior temp added to that fan not doing its job or because of the fan itself?

ductape said:
So that would mean that every supercharged truck has a problem?
Is the overheating caused in part by the exterior temp added to that fan not doing its job or because of the fan itself?

I think it means that every supercharged 80 that utilizes the fan blade supplied in the kit runs the risk of running hot. Couple the fact that the blade is less efficent with the fact that the engine produces more heat and it appears that it is amazing that the rest of the cooling system can keep up in the examples that do not exibit heating issues.

Tape,

Sounds like the problem is the fan that is provided with the SC kit is not up to the task. Yes, it provides the needed clearance to the added SC components, but it is not as effective at cooling.

I like the adjustable blue feature - Dan what is the rattle on these? Also, I sent a small list 0'stuff to you while you were apparently pickling your brain on the lake.....

The only issue with the adjustable feature is that you'd suffer the power loss/mpg loss all the time by having it come in earlier. The 'selectable' nature of using a local electric heat source makes it possible to anticipate cooling needs, then have the fan function normally. A typical time to have it on would be towing a heavy trailer on a hot day and a few passes are coming up. I'd sacrifice a couple MPG on such a day.

Having said that, I'm VERY interested in what you guys find regarding tuning the blue fan clutch as I have one and may order another for the other truck (has original green one).

DougM

cruiserdan said:
Here is an interesting foot-note to this whole deal...........

Turbo 80's do not seem to have heating issues.........Guess which fan blade they have..........

YUP, the stocker..............:rolleyes:

Who didn't know that. :doh:

Sorry Dan couldn't resist. :D

cruiserdan said:
The original blade is out of the question because high speed "tip flex" causes it to drag on the backside of the radiator.

Just install an aluminum radiator. It's a 2 row one and thinner by about a 1/4" on both sides. At least it looked it to me 3 weeks ago when I swapped out it with a brass one.

landtank said:
Just install an aluminum radiator. It's a 2 row one and thinner by about a 1/4" on both sides. At least it looked it to me 3 weeks ago when I swapped out it with a brass one.

My friend at TRD told me that the blade hits the alluminum radiator. Their test mule was a 97 and that was the one they tore the radiator up in..... :whoops:

cruiserdan said:
Here is an interesting foot-note to this whole deal...........

Turbo 80's do not seem to have heating issues.........Guess which fan blade they have..........

YUP, the stocker..............:rolleyes:

Yes, my rig runs with stock fan blade and stock (apparently rare silver colored) fan clutch, ... , NEVER have seen a temp on my extremely accurate aftermarket Greddy Gauge higher than 100 degrees Celsius! Dan and I were talking about this the other day and i am always amazed how high some of the rigs here run on temps. Seriously if i saw anything at all higher than 102 C I'd pull over right away, turn on the heaters and shut down seconds later.

reffug said:
Who didn't know that. :doh:

Sorry Dan couldn't resist. :D

Raising hand proudly, "I knew that, I knew that!" :D Seriously, I always chuckle when I read the comments that the turbocharged rigs run hotter than the supercharged ones; so many experts here have verified that that is flatly wrong, and so has the real world reality of people who have turbos.

sleeoffroad said:
They also have an intercooler :idea:

Right, as always, hey Christo I was wondering with all your experience here and around SA, have you ever experienced temps on turbocharged but non-intercooled vehicles??? I am wondering about how much cooler the intercooled vehicles run than the non-intercooled vehicles. From looking at the SAFARI site, it seems that some turbo but do not intercool, is this correct or am i reading wrong? Perhaps it is that some people add intercoolers but do not add turbos ... if that is that case, with all your experience, how much cooler would a stock vehicle with only an intercooler added run over a completely stock vehicle? Thanks.

Ohh, BTW,

TURBOS RULE!!! :flipoff2: :D :flipoff2:

You can not intercool a naturally aspirated motor. Intercoolers are only for cooling compressed air. For example turbocharged suchas yours or supercharged rigs such as mine.

Rainy Day FZJ said:
You can not intercool a naturally aspirated motor. Intercoolers are only for cooling compressed air. For example turbocharged suchas yours or supercharged rigs such as mine.

You can intercool a naturally aspirated motor, but the results won't be worth it. Compressing air heats it, the intercooler is to remove some of that heat.

I stand corrected, I guess that you can do anything that you want. It is just the desired effect would not be worth it. Now back to the thread at hand. Does anyone think that if there is not a fan blade that fits well, a electric dual fan setup would work ok? they are $ for the 5500 cfm models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom