To tap or helicoil? rear sway bar mount stripped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So one of the bolts that hold the bushing bracket to the axle broke. When I drilled it out I was slightly askew and the easyout did not work out. Upon drilling it out on the next bit I stepped up to, part of the old bolt came out but the threads on the whole/axle were damaged.

Would a helicoil be strong enough or would it be better to tap new threads using a slightly larger bolt?

So one of the bolts that hold the bushing bracket to the axle broke. When I drilled it out I was slightly askew and the easyout did not work out. Upon drilling it out on the next bit I stepped up to, part of the old bolt came out but the threads on the whole/axle were damaged.

Would a helicoil be strong enough or would it be better to tap new threads using a slightly larger bolt?
It’s all about meat no matter what you reducing metal. The helicoil in theory is putting some back in. What actual bolt and location “photos” ? And what the bolt size? Should be a 12mm socket, I’m guessing it’s an 8mm.

It’s all about meat no matter what you reducing metal. The helicoil in theory is putting some back in. What actual bolt and location “photos” ? And what the bolt size? Should be a 12mm socket, I’m guessing it’s an 8mm.
Yep, one of the two that hold the d shaped bracket and bushing to the axle. I think I’ll try and tap a new thread, the more think about I’m just not sure how strong a helicoil insert would be given the location.

148DFD75-983B-4003-97DF-6B11A4442246.jpeg

time-sert is widely regarded as a superior solution to a helicoil if you want to go that route vs tapping

I broke mine off at the exact same spot 2 weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to drill and tap. Best of luck - please do post your final solution.

I broke mine off at the exact same spot 2 weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to drill and tap. Best of luck - please do post your final solution.
I decided to bite the bullet and bought a helicoil 8mm and a 21/64 drill bit. Kind of annoyed the helicoil was 32 bucks. Sway bar is back up nice and tight, hit it with some self-etching primer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom