To fuel inject or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I coming down to the wire on my build and would like to get your concenses on putting in a carb or fuel injection. The carb that I bought is here: http://www.barrygrant.com/news/articles/products/product_009.aspx

However, there have been folks trying to convince me to go with the following fuel injection kit from Edelbrock.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL-3503&N=700+115&autoview=sku

If I retrun the carb, I'll get a $300 credit from my engine builder and I'll still have to pay full pop for the injetion kit. What do you all think?

I would shop around for fuel inj. kits before buying one.

Last edited:
OragneFJ45 has the head and all the fuel injection stuff off of a FJ 62 that he is parting out. He was asking around $300.00. I don't know if he sold it or not but I was thinking about doing it on my 11/76 FJ40.

Find a distributer for Howell fuel injection. I just paid a tad over $1100.00 for the set up ( plus a bit for the adapter) Good luck.

I went to Pull-A-Part and robbed everything off a 91 van for $150 bucks. Harness, ECM, intake and all. All I had to buy was a pump (90 bucks). Let me find the link and I'll give it to you that has detailed instructions on how to wire it all up. took me and a buddy a day and a half to do the whole thing.

It is one of the better injection kits out there for sure.

If you got the dough for it, get it. You will not be disappointed.

I believe there was a fellow mud member here that was selling that same kit here used, not sure if he still has it or not.

Keep It Simple Stupid

carb is much easier to fix on the trail, cheap to buy, less bull****, less wiring, etc etc.

Are you trying to save money at the pump, gain 1-3 mpg, add 10 hp, or overcome climb angle?
You might see a small gain in mpg, small gain in power but in the end it's not worth the time money or hassle.
I've been trying for years to get through to my heep buddy on this. He wants to spend all his money on FI when he really needs a new body! Or well at least new mounts. I can't talk him into an FJ anymore!

I can understand this mod if: climb angle is the real issue, your running a SBC (maybe), you've run out of things to upgrade and your truck has reached it's full potential.

FI would be the obsolute last thing I would put on my truck. Just my 2 cents. I'd rather spend my money on something more worthwhile.

Keep It Simple Stupid

carb is much easier to fix on the trail, cheap to buy, less bull****, less wiring, etc etc.

Are you trying to save money at the pump, gain 1-3 mpg, add 10 hp, or overcome climb angle?
You might see a small gain in mpg, small gain in power but in the end it's not worth the time money or hassle.
I've been trying for years to get through to my heep buddy on this. He wants to spend all his money on FI when he really needs a new body! Or well at least new mounts. I can't talk him into an FJ anymore!

I can understand this mod if: climb angle is the real issue, your running a SBC (maybe), you've run out of things to upgrade and your truck has reached it's full potential.

FI would be the obsolute last thing I would put on my truck. Just my 2 cents. I'd rather spend my money on something more worthwhile.

I agree with you in the idea of the keeping it carbed. My SBC will always be carbed, it's nice to have one thing in this world that's not controlled by a computer. Carb is cheap and very simple.

But, I think you may be under estimating this kit a bit. I think he will definately see a difference in power. Hell, when my buddy switched his cobra kit car from carb to injection it was a night and day difference for that car. Argue for the simplicity of the carb, but don't hate on injection.

I fuel inject EVERYTHING... It's the only way to go in a off-road rig that will see steep angles IMO. Save the carb for the streets. FI is not as complicated as people make it out to be, don't be intimidated by a bunch of wires, TBI fuel injection is just not that complicated. In essence it's just a carb with fuel injectors perched on top of it.:lol:

Ah, COBRA... My wet dream yet to come.

Yes I agree there will be some performance gain, but how much with a 2F?
I would think that if the engine is fairly stock, no port and polish, stock valve size, cam, no header; then this FI would not reach it's full potential.
Just a thinking reasonably, I hate to see folks go through mind bending (and wallet bending) mods when there are so many other things to improve upon for a crusier.
I've spend so much time and money on past projects (muscle cars) and learned that HP and torque are gained by a few critical factors. Great heads (flowed,cc'ed, big valves, intake, high compression, a PROPERLY selected cam and induction (carb or FI). All of these things work in unison together to make great gains in the desired outcome, hp and torque range. One single modification doesn't always make a magic bullet.

Coming into the Toyota 4x4 addiction rather late in life I don't want to give the impression of being all knowing as I am most certainly not. I just wan to pass along my experience from other projects and the trial and error of I've made and my close pals who have done the same.

Back to the original question at hand. If your dead set on FI, you've got a great resource here from experienced folks who've done this mod. Research it carefully, pm and talk to the folks who HAVE done this mod and know everything envolved with doing it before you make the leap and start buying stuff. You may very well find the perfect combination to suit your needs and mechanical/electrical abilities. Good Luck with your project and post your progress for us all. Ken

I looked at this site when I was looking into it. http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/ I dont have any exp. with them but I have heard from other people that they are good. Very good prices.

Matthew

if you go EFI, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD WIRING DIAGRAM. a prebuilt kit probably has a good wiring setup. if not, it will be a superior PITA to get things going. i am putting a 3FE head on my 2F and without a wiring diagram, the project looked MUCH more daunting than it really has been.

considering how much a pain i had getting a carburetor to work on various cruiser motors, i am looking forward to giving EFI a shot. if you have the patience, it isnt as hard as it looks!

He is running a SBC not a 2F. Look at the link.

Yes, carbs take a little more TLC than injection, but a carb won't leave you stranded. For injection, when the s*** hits the fan, it's normally bad and expensive, just ask my Evinrude..

right. my point was to say it isnt as difficult as it looks. if he pulls a TBI unit off a junker, just grab a wiring diagram and GET ON IT! :cool:

True, my post wasn't really directed at you though, just happened to post a minute after you.

TBI is nice, but multi-point is nice too :D

My cousin runs that fuel injection set up on his toyota cabbed thing, he really likes it and has run it on several variations of motors so far. it's a pretty nice set up as it has the tuning controller that you can adjust on the fly, but it's still a speed density system, wiring it up wasn't difficult, it doesn't require a oxygen sensor, but they recommend it as I remember. and the rest of the harness is all included, you just need to hook it back up and change out the trigger in your distributer. it has big throttle bodies though, and with his big cam and manual transmission he occasionally stalls. I think that's primarily the cams fault, but he wanted the 400+ hp to spin 38 boggers. also he didn't pay full price for the setup so that had a big part in him using it. it's overpriced for what it is.

I pulled all of my TBI equipment out of a junkyard AstroVan too, for about $100 (no wiring harness). The tech links on the subject were very helpful. I did buy a few of the sensors new, and I bought the throttle body adapter new, and bought the wiring harness from Downey to make the job fast and easy (should have just spent an extra weekend on it and used the junkyard harness or made a new one... its a SIMPLE harness, and it would have saved me a couple hundred dollars). Even with all of the new parts that I bought, it was pretty cheap.... right around $500, cheap enough that I can afford to take my Cruiser into a shop to have an EPROM custom tuned for it to get the best performance and gas mileage (an extra $200-300).

Here in Colorado, when I drive up into the mountains it makes quite a difference to have FI instead of a carb. I get consistent power even if I've climbed 3 or 4 thousand feet, or more.

- Matt

Well I've decided that since I already got the carb in hand and a brand new EVS mainafold, I'm just going to slap the puppy (carb) on. The carb is a very nice product and should be great even at allitude.

Since this is going to be a weekend warrior (show truck) and moderate 4x4ing, I don't think I can justify springing for the fuel injection at this point . 10 horse power and a conserverative increase in fuel cost is just not worth the huge capital outlay. I'll just reallociate the funds back to my wife for putting up with me during the project.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom