To diff or not to diff that is the question ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well hearing and reading so much about diffs (all theoretical at this point!) i wanted to pick the minds of experienced dune / sand off-roaders regarding the practicality and functionally of diffs in the sand as well as get a better understanding on what is needed to upgrade / change my car with diffs.

At the moment the car is converted to use only back wheels (the option is controlled inside from a 4wd cut out relay to transfer cast disconnecting front axle) and hubs in front wheel.
When engaged and hubs locked the car (as far as I understand) works as it was setup originally setup as a continues 4x4.
There is the low gear shift but that about it for my understanding.

Thats about the extent of my knowledge in that area, I am hoping I can catch a trip over the weekend (rally event) and join in as a passenger in one of the recovery vehicles we shall see :)

Yes.

😂. Did you have a question? Are you talking about locking diffs?

I wanted to pick the minds of experienced dune / sand off-roaders regarding the practicality and functionally of diffs in the sand..
That's the first one

what is needed to upgrade / change my car with diffs

Second one

I packed too much on one post lol

With lots of kilometers in the edaien of sahara I would say:
The most important single upgrade in sand are tires - tall with a good sidewall ... 7,5R16 or 255/85R16, Mud terrain last longer e.g. BFG KM3. Those you can deflate to 0,8 to 1 bar (11-14 psi ;) without damage
Second is suspension: travel and large bore chocks for corrugations and the hammadas ...

My front diff lock I never used in sand ... it is more or less useless, since you friends name is "momentum" ... rear lockers might help a bit ... even automatic ones do the job well enough ... but I would spend the money with the above items.

Regards ... Simon

What @hatzlibutzli said, I never worry about a front locker in the sand. A rear probably wouldn't hurt but your tires will make the biggest difference.

I find the bfg at or other similar tires work great in sand.

It's all about floatation. The bigger the footprint of the tire the better.

BFG and cooper are the most popular ones both on shortage at the moment :S

The car is lifted and I think its got 31's with old Man Emu on. (here is a vid but you need to log in on facebook to see it, previous owner black land cruiser)

I am quite surprised on how people see diffs in the sand. In Egypt a lot told me we never use em, others said essential so i think its got a lot to do with how you drive, tires etc.

Mud are hard to find, do they function better than A/T in the sand ?

BFG and cooper are the most popular ones both on shortage at the moment :S

The car is lifted and I think its got 31's with old Man Emu on. (here is a vid but you need to log in on facebook to see it, previous owner black land cruiser)

I am quite surprised on how people see diffs in the sand. In Egypt a lot told me we never use em, others said essential so i think its got a lot to do with how you drive, tires etc.

Mud are hard to find, do they function better than A/T in the sand ?

A/T and semi-smooth tires are better in the sand. Mud tires dig in too fast and you're stuck.

So new AT tires, diff is not essential instead put the money to replace the old Emu suspensions in the future (they are still good but will need replacing in the near future).

Some of the tyres have tough sides when you deflate them they still retain their shape, are does still ok or it better to get the ones the deform to get a better foot print ?

@Vulkyn good to see someone from Egypt. This is very cool!!

I agree with others, locking diffs are a luxury, not a must have in the sand. In my opinion, these are things needed in the sand:
- good all terrain tires
- air down tires, air them back up with a good air compressor
- recovery straps
- traction boards/mats
- an aftermarket automatic transmission cooler. I'm assuming you have an automatic not a standard transmission.
- super strong front and recovery loop. You WILL be stuck and you WILL need to be pulled out using kinetic (stretchy) straps. Therefore, you WILL need strong anchor points on your vehicle. This is absolute MUST for sand driving and recovery work.

- good all terrain tires
Currently fitted but need changing
- air down tires, air them back up with a good air compressor
I do need a compressor, so thats on my purchase list !
- recovery straps
I got a 9 Ton one, but fixed towing not stretchy
- traction boards/mats
Need to buy
- an aftermarket automatic transmission cooler. I'm assuming you have an automatic not a standard transmission.
Yes automatic, but the car already has the transmission cooler standard i.e Toyota (its in the UAE 80 series version due to weather and sand)

- super strong front and recovery loop. You WILL be stuck and you WILL need to be pulled out using kinetic (stretchy) straps. Therefore, you WILL need strong anchor points on your vehicle. This is absolute MUST for sand driving and recovery work.
Isn't that already in the vehicle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom