Tire/Wheel combo question....decision time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently running 285/65/18 TerraGrapplers. One of the tires has a screw in it that is non-repairable (outer sideblock) and no warranty on the tires. They were not rotated by the previous owner, so the front 2 have a bunch more wear than the rear (60% tread life left vs 80% per DiscountTire). Additionally, my spare is not the same overall size (previous owner didn't match it). As such, I've decided to replace ALL 5 tires with BFG KO2 thru DiscountTire with their road hazard warranty.

So, here is the quandary:

1.) Get 5 x 275/70/18 tires + 1 new 18" LX wheel ($225 on Craigslist) to match the other 4 so I can do a complete 5 wheel rotation each time.

2.) Get 5 x 285/75/16 tires, sell my 18" LX wheel/tire combo and replace with a set of 5 x 16" stock LX wheels (found on Craigslist for $130 for all 5)

This LX has become my DD and I put about 40 miles per day on it on the roads. I take it off-roading quite a bit (mainly gravel roads every weekend) and will travel to Colorado 3x per year to drive the trails and passes. Seems to me that the 285/75/16 might be better for trails as they provide more sidewall (8.4" vs. my current 7.3" and the 7.6" on the 275/70/18). The overall diameter would be slightly larger than my current setup and slightly smaller than my other alternative 275/70/18.

I prefer my 18" wheels on the road and it gives a much more modern look if you ask me... which you did. ;)

That said, replacing 16" tires vs 18" usually is pretty significant $$$$ difference, so there is that.

All said and done, I would roll with option #1 but it is your truck.

If your spare is still underneath and not showing on your back bumper (which is my situation): I say go with (4) 18s, then leave the 16" factory spare and buy a good used tire sized to match the other 4. Carry an ARB patch kit to handle the 80% of the problems you can fix on the trail without going to the spare, save money for other mods ;)

What have you done to your 100 Series this week?
Spare Tire Modifications

16" wheels feel a lot smoother on the road and off road than 18" wheels in my opinion. More rubber = softer ride.

I have the two sets and run ko2's bfg's on the 18" wheels and KM2 mud tires on the 16" wheels when I go off-road, best of both worlds.

I have the two sets and run ko2's bfg's on the 18" wheels and KM2 mud tires on the 16" wheels when I go off-road, best of both worlds.

I wish the budget allowed for that luxury. But, I "need" the Dissent front bumper and Warn winch along with some MetalTech suspension bits :)

I wish the budget allowed for that luxury. But, I "need" the Dissent front bumper and Warn winch along with some MetalTech suspension bits :)
Can you keep us posted on your height? I think the rack is my next upgrade. I am currently at 75" with a garage height of 81" so I have some wiggle room for some mods.

Can you keep us posted on your height? I think the rack is my next upgrade. I am currently at 75" with a garage height of 81" so I have some wiggle room for some mods.
I measured several times then somehow the lift exceed the door height by 2". :doh: Now I'm looking into a taller door mod and being able to drive in with rtt or even a canoe on top. We shall see $$$$$ vs parking out in the snowy winter.

I measured several times then somehow the lift exceed the door height by 2". :doh: Now I'm looking into a taller door mod and being able to drive in with rtt or even a canoe on top. We shall see $$$$$ vs parking out in the snowy winter.
And yes everything can be a mod..... kid mod, wife mod...... you get the idea.

Might want to check out 4 Wheel Parts also. The sometimes have good prices & you can get other places to match. I opted for 275 70 R18 BFG AT2's with Tundra wheels. Very happy with them.

lc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom