Tire wear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

22000mi I have rotated them but got lazy.
It is the front tire. One side lug has more than the other, the pic makes it look worse than it is.

I could remove the tires and turn them around on the rim.
I know toooo much flash :(

I have seen that type of lug wear before. I'm not sold that rotation will completely solve it. It does slow it down though.

If you rotate every 5000mi mud tires will last a long time.
Every time I get lazy this happens. Its the draw back to having a open side lug type tire. Plus it makes for a louder tire.
Tires that are sold with long life and quiet have a tight closed side lug, but they hydroplane and don't like deep mud/snow.

I use to put the jack adapter on the frame till I got the slider. The slider is in the way of where I put the pads.
I had the pads on the mounts of the slider but I am sure the weight of the vehicle is not good for the slider. It started jacking up on the slider mount but it started to bend so I stopped.

Actually to me those look like Wild Country TXR tires and their typical wear pattern. We have a lot of the Wild Country tires up here because Les Schwab sells them and does the monthly payment thing. Every vehicle I have ever seen those tires on they have worn funny. Our Tahoe had them when we bought it and they wore like that. Put some Michelin LTXs on and all the problems when away. My 40 had them too, similar wear to yours and I put BFGs and the uneven wear went away. I've never had to rotate the tires on the 91, and my dad didn't before that either. Some 180,000 miles later and the tires are still wearing pretty evenly all the way around. Also, a wear to the inside would not have necessarily benefited from rotating. I guess it would slow down the significance of the wear but it it still going to wear unevenly.

That is a neat jack adapter. I'm thinking something similar to that that would go under the diffs would be pretty handy. Something that levels out the axle without going under the third and allow to lift both rear or front tires at once. Hmmm! I need a new tooll!

out on a limb here but that is exaclty how my x-terrains warped out. they were directional so rotating wasnt really an option (except frotn to back) the mechanic at my last shop told me part of that was tire desing but part of that was balancing (again on my tires) the x's never held a balance worth a darn so I bought it. any chance the balance was out on the front end? just looking for other factors that can cause this.
Dave

Eric,

I'll go out on my own limb, and say that wear is NOT on the inside as you posit, but actually on the outside. Kurt can correct me if I'm wrong, but in the pic of the tire straight at the thread, that is typical non-rotated tire wear on an open type tread. In the absence of alignment, balance, brake or suspension issues, it comes from cornering forces, or "scrub".

Open treads are indeed more susceptible to all types of uneven wear, including those from alignment, balance, brake or suspension issues.

The trouble with wear patterns on tires is that once they start, they cannot be corrected even if the source (alignment, balance, brake or suspension) is fixed. A vibrating tire from a wear pattern is indistinquishable from an out of balance tire from the driver's seat. And a tire thus damaged will always be problematic to balance and the balance will not last. The way to prevent a wear pattern from manifesting itself is through aggressive tire rotation, and yes front to back on directional tires will prevent a wear pattern from developing.

It's expensive, but if you want to have a smooth running rig, starting over with new tires and being aggressive with rotations may be the only way.

Dave - if your xterrains were run out of balance long enough to develop a pattern in the rubber, they're never going to run smoothly again. Period. If your mechanic told you the uneven wear was due to the tire's design then he was smokin crack. Barring a defect in BOTH front tires (a statistical anomaly), they were mistreated in some fashion as noted above.

Rotate. Rotate. Rotate. At the slightest HINT of an imbalance, get them balanced immediately.

DougM

I could buy into the out of balance idea. If you look at the top picture from the side the tread blocks appear to be unevenly worn. This is what I have seen before with these tires. Maybe it is a balance issue that those particular tires don't hold a balance well? It isn't an even edge from scrubbing or misalignment. Another thing other than balance that can cause uneven tread wear like this is when I tire is starting to delaminate. It will get a low spot where the tire is coming apart as that part of the tire is flung to the road with each rotation.

That wear pattern is identical to what I had on my 40 many years ago. I had bought it as a 3yo, and the tire shop told me it was the balancing (or lack thereof). But it was too late to worry about it; I just rode on them for a while longer then replaced all five (yeah, the PO had surely done some rotation since even the spare was cupped like that). The new tires never had the problem.

The wear is on the out side.
I didn't have the tires balanced. I used Counteract balancing beads.

Last year when I put it in, I called the company and they said I could use the yellow bag, the semi truck tire stuff. They told me to use 3.5 oz of it. I put 3.5 in the front and 4oz in the rear. The 3.5 oz took many miles to balance. The 4oz balanced out right away.
This summer I added .5oz and the shake of the tire went away.

I called them this summer they said I should of use the passanger car formula and I should of used 4oz. The passenger car formula used static to hold the beads in place when you stop. The semi truck formula doesn't hold its balance and the tire needs to spin to balance again.

Now that the wife is using the 80 and taking lots of short trips, the tires don't spin fast enough to set the beads. Along with all the WALMART parking lot turning to get the closest spot to the door :slap: the tires are wearing faster than if I was driving ;)

Had I used the pass.car formula and didn't get lazy, the tires would of lasted longer.

As for the LTX, I want a mud tire :slap:

Interesting! I guess I'll be sticking with lead weights to keep my tires balanced. Mud tire? I didn't see any Swamper photos? Aren't those tires sort of rough on Wisconsin ice skating ponds (I mean interstates)? I think I might wimp out and buy a set of ATs for my wife's 80. After driving on the big fat MTs on icey roads last week I decided that is not what I want for a family shared rig. Out here we really have to work to find mud. It usually only lasts for a few days. Between spring thaw and spring.

I had them on the rink last year. A semi pulled out infront of me in a ice storm. The interstate was ready for the winter Olympic games. I was glad I had the 80 as the 60 would of surely went into the comedian.

Swampers are for show trucks :flipoff2:

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=8047;start=msg68353#msg68353 date=1069880370]

Swampers are for show trucks :flipoff2:
[/quote]

FIRE IN THE HOLE! :flipoff2:

Ooh, me next. Swamper are girlie tires for people who aren't tough enough for that paragon of offroading prowess - the mighty TSL Thornbird!!! (snicker).

DougM

Wob,
You had a full 4 minutes and C-Dan beat you to it. You're now demoted from head miner's canary to assistant miner's canary.

Sorry.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom