Tire Size Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm considering a slightly larger size tire than stock when mine finally wear out, and I have a few questions:

1. What size tire would you guys recommend for a rig with stock suspension (no OME) looking to move up a size?

2. I've found the Revos in the LT285/75R16 size on the web- if my calculations are correct, this is almost a 33" tire! Will this fit with no rub w/ my stock suspension?

3. Will there be speedometer issues when upgrading to a LT285/75R16?

4. The width of the LT285/75R16 is greater than the stock tire. Can this cause problems, and will it fit on stock rims?

5. Will a tire of the LT285/75R16 size cause noticeable power loss?

6. Will gas mileage go down with a larger tire (assuming the same rolling friction)?

As you can tell, I'm a newbie when it comes to tires...any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Ive got those same size tires on mine with stock susp. no real difference in power. the speedometer will be off by 6%, I believe. no rubbing issues.

1, 305/70/16 max.

2, Yes

3, Yes, minor

4, Not with stock off-set wheels

5, Some loss, depends on altitude

6, Yes

When I got tires for my LC, I didn't want to commit to a 285/75/16 so I compromised and went with a 265/75/16 BFG A/T and got a 32" tall tire that works great. It is work considering if you want to go a little bigger and should work better in the rain and snow.

Cary

P.S.- My wife asked a couple nights ago why our LC sits higher than all the others. She wanted to know if I had put springs in it. It's a good thing those OME 861/862 springs are stock. ;)

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=7503;start=msg62801#msg62801 date=1068765425]
Cary

P.S.- My wife asked a couple nights ago why our LC sits higher than all the others. She wanted to know if I had put springs in it. It's a good thing those OME 861/862 springs are stock. ;)
[/quote]

It's either that or.... "I just run more air pressure than the other guys honey". ;)

Yeah, aren't the "factory options" nice. :D

Here's a good (best I could do) picture of the 285/75R16 Dueler A/T Revo vs. stock size Michelin LTX on my 470.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom