Tire issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
Back 4.5 years and 115,000 miles ago I mounted some BFG AT/Kos on the truck. Now 2 years ago I got a flat on one and had a plug installed. Well today I noticed a little cupping on one of the front tires and then saw the plug sticking out as well.

Now the tires aren't on all the time as I have a second set of winter tires that I have run for the last 2 years. So the mileage on them is in the 95k+ range.

Attached is a photo, not sure if it shows enough, but was curious of what you guys think of how the plug looks. I've never had a plug fail but this one is very close to the sidewall and probably not helping the cupping issue.

I'd like one more summer out of them but I'm not looking to kill someone over them.
Tire.jpg

Last edited:
PLUGS KILL!!!
Plugs spread the hole and make the tire damage worser.
I had a PU truck that I hauled a full of wood in.
Got a flat, tire store put a DAM PLUG in it. I was not happy but I was not the boss.
Later that day, comming down Lower Bear Creek with a full load of wood. The DAM PLUG made the tire rip out. I was lucky that the tire was on the rear of the truck.

I would see if they could patch the tire.

I wouldn't risk it. You could try the patch or see if you could pick up a used one with similar tread ledt. Did you have 5. If so, patch it and make it the spare.

landtoy80 said:
and make the tire damage worser.

sorry dude. :rolleyes:

i'd say it's a worthy temporary fix; but a patch would be a better choice IMHO

Rick - Was it you doing the no rotation experiment?

landtank said:
Nope, with me it's a way of life.

Well with the 80 anyway.

No relation between that and the cupping?

The process of reaming out the hole so that the plug will fit is what causes morer damage. Jamming the tool back and forth, cutting any cords it its way, can not be good for the tyre.

Did you watch them do a plug? If not their are inside patches the have a plug like thing attached to the patch. So when patching they can plug and patch at the same time. I have not had any problems with these style of patching over the years. To me the true plugs are a trail patch to get me home then fix when I get home with a real patch system. I also agree that the cupping has nothing to do with the patch. robbie

95k on AT's and i would be very, very happy. :bounce: Yes plugs are not ideal but I have used them for many years with no failures. I will get the hole patched but that doesn't always happen right away. If I plug a tire it goes to the spare position.

I don't think there is any cause/relation to the cupping.

Fly Rod

I plugged the tire myself. It was how we always used to do it at the shop. I'm going to move that tire to the rear and check out the mechanicals today. The cupping isn't all that bad and if another tire cups from the move I really don't care that much as these tires are near the end of the service life anyway. Just wanted one more summer out of them so I could refinish the alloys this winter while the snows were mounted.

There is always a reason for cupping. If the wheel bearings are keep tight, and alignment is keep right, tire keep in balance, the shock has not failed, there should be no cupping on the 80 series front end. IFS is a different story. I only have cupping when something is wrong. I have run a couple of set of tires to the end of their live with no cupping. later robbie

Well,

The truck has never seen an alignment

Tires were balanced 4.5 years ago

Shocks were new 4.5 years ago

The bearings and TEs are tight.

I was hoping to setup my new suspension soon and most of what I haven't done would be done then. Hopefully I can get just a little more time out of this set of tires.

Go to tire/alingment shop and have them turn the tire on the rim so that the cupping is on the inside. Put a patch on the tire.
Get an alingment.

I had major out side cupping on my mud tires. I was tow in .25" on each side so I was .50" tow in.
I had the tire shop put the cupping on the inside. I iput Counteract balancing beads in the tires.
All is well now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom