Tire choices choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yotahead52

GOLD Star
Threads
I would like to pick the clubs brain. And yes, I did a search function before coming here. Lol. While owning many brands of tires for on road cars and trucks, I have ran two brands of tire since 1999 off-road. Those two brands are BFG and Interco Super swampers. I currently have BFGKM3 muds on my LX 450. I was just curious if the club in general had any major good/major bad reports on some of the tires they are running. I love the look of the BFG and their performance but they are becoming prohibitively expensive. And the last two sets I have ran have been extremely sensitive to rotation and cupping in my opinion. My biggest concern off road is cutting tires since we live in the south, as you guys all know, roots and knife edge rocks are our enemy. Unlike our friends out west. I’m not looking for answers, just opinions and or reports on tires that I’ve had failures off road related to the above examples. Just thinking about doing something different this go round, since in all reality, the LX does see about 75% pavement time. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not scared to run a super swamper on it but I just wanted to reach out to everyone. Hope all and everyone are well going into the holidays. Pictures are for the purpose of vanity and proving once again the Toyota people are cool.

95030AFA-4FA4-4C3C-B05F-068D35C2F5ED.jpeg

48FFD940-456E-40DC-99CB-6B6088ACE9C0.jpeg

I'm on my third set of Falken Wildpeaks (two different vehicles, the Tundra I had for a bit and the RAV4)

Obviously not my 4R (which has Mickey Thompson Baja MT) but the RAV4 gets driven in some wonky places, to say the least. The only issue I have had was cupping when I had an alignment issue and I hadn't rotated them as I should, and a roofing nail through sidewall (less than a week after installation of course)

I think they're a solid choice. The first set on the RAV4 I ran a full 4 years. I haven't heard of others running these to experience any sort of premature failure. A few complaints about road noise but I think that happens more when they're not being rotated properly / maintained.

Still finding them for under $200 a pop.

Tires can be a can of worms and every time I buy I have to break out of analysis paralysis. Good experience with BFG and Cooper. Not really pleased with the Goodyear wear on the 200 but that is also related to alignment/rotation issues. All have done well within their performance parameters. Every tire I have bought to compromise expense with Dunlop, Continental, and Pathfinder ends up costing more later. I didn't run the Falkens long enough to say but seemed good.

MT v AT: I really like the road manners of an AT, which is still most of my driving, and they do well on a lot of offroad terrain. As soon as it gets sloppy I hate them and want the knobbies. So for my vehicle I give up the road manners for offroad control with MT to minimize having to bash around the common mud in the area. The family hauler sees dirt but no trails and an AT is ideal. YMMV

I'm on my third set of Falken Wildpeaks (two different vehicles, the Tundra I had for a bit and the RAV4)

Obviously not my 4R (which has Mickey Thompson Baja MT) but the RAV4 gets driven in some wonky places, to say the least. The only issue I have had was cupping when I had an alignment issue and I hadn't rotated them as I should, and a roofing nail through sidewall (less than a week after installation of course)

I think they're a solid choice. The first set on the RAV4 I ran a full 4 years. I haven't heard of others running these to experience any sort of premature failure. A few complaints about road noise but I think that happens more when they're not being rotated properly / maintained.
To your point, any search you do via Google on best rated mud tires, the Falken Wildpeaks are typically in every list. Many of them it’s too 3-5. So that’s definitely something I’ve been looking into. Thank you, @jvalex

Tires can be a can of worms and every time I buy I have to break out of analysis paralysis. Good experience with BFG and Cooper. Not really pleased with the Goodyear wear on the 200 but that is also related to alignment/rotation issues. All have done well within their performance parameters. Every tire I have bought to compromise expense with Dunlop, Continental, and Pathfinder ends up costing more later. I didn't run the Falkens long enough to say but seemed good.

MT v AT: I really like the road manners of an AT, which is still most of my driving, and they do well on a lot of offroad terrain. As soon as it gets sloppy I hate them and want the knobbies. So for my vehicle I give up the road manners for offroad control with MT to minimize having to bash around the common mud in the area. The family hauler sees dirt but no trails and an AT is ideal. YMMV
Agree on all points. I was driving the LX quite a bit as a daily out of personal choice. But I’ve gotten now or I’m back driving the car quite a bit more in the LX is going to be reallocated back to the weekends and trail rides more so. So I will definitely be going mud for the reasons you listed above. Thank you for yalls input so far.

If anyone goes with BFG, be sure to use the club discount code. Saves some coin and lets them know we are worth giving another set to raffle next year. Which reminds me, the winner from the group camp's raffle still owes us some glamor shots with their new rubber. 😁

The Firestone destination MT are pretty good too. I have them on my 80 now, from KM2 and km3, and they are just as good or not better, and quieter. Good for me is, they have to last, be easy on blacktop and excellent in mud, rocks, and sand.

The Toyo Open Country Mt is (in my opinion) the best mud tire out there. I've had two sets of these and both sets went beyond 40k miles. They wear like iron, rarely chunk and they have the toughest sidewalls of any tire I've run. They are heavier than the BFG and cost is about the same or a little more.

My favorite "cheap" tire is the Maxxis RZR MT. I have two sets of these on the road now and I like them a lot. They are super quiet on road and perform well off road. True to size, so they run larger than the comparably sized BFG. Apparently more and more people are realizing the value in these tires because the prices are getting up into BFG territory now.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Toyo’s. Think we are supposed to get a club discount but not sure exactly how to get it. The 200 is going to need new shoes soon and I’m still up in the air on what I’m going to go with. Possibly a Kenda 35 10.50 / Toyo 285 75 17, or a geolander 285 75 17 or possibly another set of KO2’s. Got about 40k miles out of the set I’m running now.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Toyo’s. Think we are supposed to get a club discount but not sure exactly how to get it. The 200 is going to need new shoes soon and I’m still up in the air on what I’m going to go with. Possibly a Kenda 35 10.50 / Toyo 285 75 17, or a geolander 285 75 17 or possibly another set of KO2’s. Got about 40k miles out of the set I’m running now.
Toyo never came through with it. Donated a set that was raffled, and some good swag, but if you want a set of Toyos, find a deal where you can. Also worth checking with Toyota of Greenville for a club deal since they also sponsor and sell tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom