Tire Chains for Snow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dumpolina

SILVER Star
Threads
That's reVOLTing. It'd get me pretty AMPed up.

Grant, really appreciate the assist. Let me know if I can make it up some way.

Might be time for chains... and a winch bumper... and a winch... and a front locker... and...

All part of the fun! It was a good place to find this flaw instead of by my self in the middle of nowhere.

Chains are good things. @alia176 will help you spend your tax refund on other necessities :p

For snow wheeling, get the most aggressive chains you can't afford :). They're more effective than lockers, IMHO.

I got a couple sets of these V bar chains. One set worked great when we went for a Christmas tree so I got another for even more traction. I never had used the cam type before, I really like how tight they get. Makes braking better.

IMG_20191126_122401.jpg

I got a couple sets of these V bar chains. One set worked great when we went for a Christmas tree so I got another for even more traction. I never had used the cam type before, I really like how tight they get. Makes braking better.

View attachment 2171179

I agree about the cam type chains. They snug down tight with the cam, and since they are a little looser before the cam is tightened, they are easier to put on. With front and rear lockers and chained up on all four, that’s about as good as it gets.

For snow wheeling, get the most aggressive chains you can't afford :). They're more effective than lockers, IMHO.
@pappy is this and the following posts worth being its own thread so more eyes see it?

Do you want me to move the tire chain discussion to a new thread?
Ya is it worth doing? Seems a relevant topic on its own

View attachment 2171179
You might want to get the rubber band tensioners for those.

You might want to get the rubber band tensioners for those.

I got the spider type. From what I read they aren't necessary with the cam type but I use them anyway.

Pep boys has chains at 40% off right now.

I checked with the store on central and they only carry the cable style for road use and not the heavy-duty chain version.

I love tire chains and I suggest buying the super aggressive ones for playing in the snow. I also highly recommend the star type of elastic tensioners shown below. Buy extra if you can as they snap after couple of years. Notice the rear wheel tensioner is missing two arms!

As Mouser said, get the V bar chains with cams. I had a set of heavy duty, chains with cam tensioners for the rear. Then couple of years later, I purchased just the V bar cross links from www.tirechains.com and installed them on every other spaces. Now, my rear set weighs a ton but they got serious traction :rofl:

If you're buying cam style of tire chains, purchase a spare cam turning tool. They wear out over time. I'm going to harbor freight today to buy a cheap screwdriver then bend it 90deg to form a cam turning tool :hillbilly:

One thing about chain lengths. Cut off any excess. Unless your tires are going to grow, no need for the excess to flap around on every revolution of the tire while smacking on things. Chains will damage body parts and shock bodies. If you need extra links in the future, buy some quick couplers from Ace hardware. They're like carabeeners but only better.

Another thing about tire chains: install them MoFo tightly. There should be ZERO slack on tire chains. While wheeling, we spin the tires and tire chains should not move on the tire treads. Period. Yeah, you should break a sweat while installing your tire chains. But, your effort will be rewarded by the traction tire chains provide when you can actually go more than 200 yards in the deep stuff.

And remember, what happens in the fight club, stays in the fight club. :cool:

1578074853042.png

Last edited:
What pressure do you run with chains?
I have a cheap set of diamond type chains and found that 18psi was a good balance between traction and keeping the chains on. These do not have the cam tighteners, so at lower pressure I had to stop often to re-tighten. Higher pressure and I didn't seem to get as much "dig"

pic... This is nice powder, not very icy. Diamond style chains only on rear to dig, and the front "floats". You can see its leaving three tracks but the front is staying more on top, not digging in as much. If I recall correctly, 18 PSI in rear and like 10-12 front.
@alia176 and @Mauser I like the vbar but on my pickup they are hell on mud or highway over 5-10mph... These cheap diamond style do both snow and muddy roads/icy pavement ok, though admittedly not awesome. I ran them on I-90 and Hwy 20 in WA at about 25-30mph without destroying anything (rear only).

WilmaGallinaJan15.jpg.jpg

wilmagallinajan15_2.jpg (2).jpg

The diamond chains are awesome for the road as I have them for my DDs.

I don't air down when I use chains!!

Last edited:
Bump... gotta get the winter gear ready

Bump... gotta get the winter gear ready
Thanks for the reminder. I just down sized my tires. Better adjust the chains to match.

Little out of the loop, never had chains before.
What should I look for?
Where should I buy them from? Seems like anything sold on amazon is general crap.
Would like a set that can do anything from full snow wheeling to iced over roads, I'm admittedly not the best ice driver (and slightly paranoid about it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom