Tire brands.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bluecruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I have seen tires on ebay that have very similar tread patterns to the well-known brand tires, but they are no name brands. They are a lot less expensive...(some examples...Mastercraft, Durango, Nakang....)

Anyone ever run these tires and how did they work out?

I currently have DEAN brand tires that came with the vehicle when I bought it used. They are a 265LT size. I took them over to Discount Tire and the tire guy said they are a very good tire. He said they are a private label BF Goodrich tire.....

Maybe the ones on ebay are too??????......Private label for somebody...Let me know.. Thanks

I bought a brand called "American" made in the BFG factory for this company. I live in a small town in SW Utah and one of the local tire dealers is a American dealer, he also sells BFG, Brigstone, and Michelin. I wanted a set of REVO's or BFG AT/KO's. This guy claimed that the local off roaders ran the American's because they held up better then the REVO's and the BFG AT/KO's and that he would stand behind them for the life of the tire and would replace any tire that I had a problem with (this includes being torn/puntured by a rock off road). These tires look identical to the BFG AT/KO's that I ran on my 80 series. They are a "C" rated truck tire. I've had them on my 100 series for 7k miles and they are not showing any sign of wear and at this point they don't even need to be rotated. He could of made a lot more money if he sold me the REVO's or the BFG AT/KO's I paid $500 for a set of 4 installed balanced and with the lifetime warranty and rotatiion and taxes. My tires are 265/75/16 which I believe this size tire gives better performance then 285/75/16 and they look good on the 100 series. They are a little taller then stock 275/70/16's but very close to the stock size tire. The 285/75/16's changes your gear ratio's and reduces performance, and with the power to weigh ratio that we have with these heavy 100 series trucks. Now that said if you are going to be a major off roader and lift your 100 series then I would go with the 285/75/16's and other driveline mods. JMHO

PS- the highway ride is nice and smooth with no more noise the the OEM tires

Last edited:
I bought a set of tires for my FIL from Discount; he said they were made by Michelin. They seem good so far. Depending on what you need out of a tire makes a big difference. IE if you want to have looks of a good aggressive tire, but use it on the highway; it makes some sense to save the money knowing you will have to replace them every year.
DMX

DMX84 said:
I bought a set of tires for my FIL from Discount; he said they were made by Michelin. They seem good so far. Depending on what you need out of a tire makes a big difference. IE if you want to have looks of a good aggressive tire, but use it on the highway; it makes some sense to save the money knowing you will have to replace them every year.
DMX

I gotta tell ya I am really impressed with my GY MT/R's. They are 13-months old...when I off-road it is on rock...and have covered 16K on them to date. My new spare measures 16mm tread depth and the ones on the rig measure 12mm. I thought I would need to replace this type of tire every 12-18-months but these are going to go alot longer!

It would be interesting to get some in depth feedback on the Toyo Open Country M/T: How they hold up; how they perform off-road; etc.

I will definitely go to a 285 75 16, maybe even a 315. I want a solid offroad tire...I only drive 3 miles each way to work a day. Most of my driving will be offroad or on the way to offroad (highway). I really don't want to spend $200+ a tire if I don't have to... THe no name brands on ebay are D load rating too..

How about Maxxis Buckhorn ( I think that the name) They are on ebay and only about $600 for 4..I have heard good things about the really expensive Maxxis buggy and rockcrawler tires but I wonder about these....

bluecruiser said:
I will definitely go to a 285 75 16, maybe even a 315. I want a solid offroad tire...I only drive 3 miles each way to work a day. Most of my driving will be offroad or on the way to offroad (highway). I really don't want to spend $200+ a tire if I don't have to... THe no name brands on ebay are D load rating too..

How about Maxxis Buckhorn ( I think that the name) They are on ebay and only about $600 for 4..I have heard good things about the really expensive Maxxis buggy and rockcrawler tires but I wonder about these....

Sounds like you should get the Toyo M-55's. They are used in rock quarries and I know some Cummins Turbo diesel guys that beat them to death and they last 90K miles. Not many people know about these tires and almost any Toyo dealer will have to order them for you. These are "E" rated tires and are worth the extra $$$.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Toyo&tiremodel=M-55 They cost $255 per tire but will last twice as long as any other off road tire you will buy. Plus they won't leave you stranded.

Wow those look great...but very expensive....I need a lot of other stuff besides tires for my new rig.....:)

I know tires are very important...but still a little too expensive for me..

The "Private Label" brands may be just as good as the Name Brands or at least as good as the name brand's last model. I would do my own research and not just go by the tire salesman's understanding. There is a big difference between a quality "Private Label" and a Tread-mold Knock-off.

But do not settle for lower performance tires. They are the most important component on your truck. You can not brake, accelerate or turn beyond the limits of your tire. Any traction enhancement (lockers ect...) cannot work beyond the ability of the tire (possible exception for chains).

The tire is going to be active 100% percent of the time. How often will you really need a winch? ... a high-angle steel front bumper? ... high output off-road lights?

If you do the research, a simple table would be nice to share. (links to the source would be awsome)
Duralon,Dayton = Bridgestone / Fire stone (TIRE BUSINESS DEC 2004)
Merit, Signet, Superior and Electra = Hercules Tire (Hercules Tire and Rubber Website)
Mastercraft,Avon, Kenda, Dean, Starfire, Oliver, Mickey Thompson (?) = Cooper Tire (Cooper Tire website)
Green+, American Radial = Michelin (Tire Business Dec,2004)
Uniroyal = Michelin (Discount Store News)
Douglas,Dunlop, Kelly-Springfield, Fulda, Debica, Sava = Goodyear (Discount Store News, Off Wallstreet)
Maxxis = Maxxis (www.maxxis.com)
Durango = A model name of Dean tires
American = BFG
Mohawk = Yokohama (Yokohama Rubber Website)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info....I will look into these sources...:)

Mastercraft's and Maxxis tires are pretty popular with the Mud-tire chevy crowd around here. Most are pleased with the bang for the buck. I also hear more about punctures from this crowd too though. I ALMOST went with the Mastercraft M/T's for my Tacoma just to get my own opinion of them but backed out and went with Cooper's Discoverer S/T instead. Wish I had held out to try the STT's but I'm pleased with the S/T's. I've been in ALOT of mud with them and the lil' taco goes good with them.

Help me make a decision here guys... I am on dirt and heavy gravel (read HEAVY) roads all the time (everyday) but never do rock climbing I do offroading but I do more expedition style stuff ruff mountain roads (December trip to Panama from TX)

BUT I do a lot of highway traveling (one 8hr round trip every other week all highway at 70mph+) So I don't want to hear my wife complain about how the new tires are too loud and how gas milage went down.

BUT I have to admit I want it to look good too. Is that wrong?

I love the look and thought of the toughness of the M/T's but are they going to be too loud?
I understand that the Revos, BFG's, Nittos are all good A/T's
I was thinking about getting the Bridgstone R-HS

What should I do? I hear that the MTR's are not that loud???

My Revos are quiet, good on the road and have been fine on gravel/dirt roads in New Mexico and Colorado.

I would stick with an AT tire such as:

Nitto Terra Grappler
BFG ATKO
Bridgestone REVO
Yokohama Geolander

I've owned all four of these and they are all good tires. My favorite is the Yokohama Geolander.

What should I do? I hear that the MTR's are not that loud???[/QUOTE said:
The MT/R's are not that loud...but this is relative to M/T tires. I haven't run an A/T type tire on my rig...but I gotta believe any of the A/T types are going to be smoother and quieter than any M/T tire. Up here in Northern Nevada I really need the extra HD sidewalls of the M/TR's. I spend a fair amount of time travelling down gravel and unimproved gravel roads (as well as 4x4 trails)...sidewall cuts are pretty normal for my buddies that aren't running Open Country's or MT/Rs (or similar) due to the type of rocks we have to roll over...

you really have to check those timberline mt tires out. they are the s*** .even have tread on the side walls.they are loud but worth it.about 90 bucks a piece depending on what size .i have had red clay almost halfway on the doors on my rodeo and they cleaned perfectly:cheers:

I am running the discoverer STT and they are louder however they provide MT traction which is needed down here in NC with this red clay. The MTs provide so much traction, a little loudness is not that big of a deal however I do not drive 8 hrs at a time.

MTs give me more chances to get the LC dirty.

uzj100

spressomon said:
The MT/R's are not that loud...but this is relative to M/T tires. I haven't run an A/T type tire on my rig...but I gotta believe any of the A/T types are going to be smoother and quieter than any M/T tire. Up here in Northern Nevada I really need the extra HD sidewalls of the M/TR's. I spend a fair amount of time travelling down gravel and unimproved gravel roads (as well as 4x4 trails)...sidewall cuts are pretty normal for my buddies that aren't running Open Country's or MT/Rs (or similar) due to the type of rocks we have to roll over...

I run an M/T tire for the exact same reason.

There is no doubt that the trade-off is big when switching to an aggressive tire, especially when going straight from a stock/street tread to an M/T, and it is not for everyone... Let the TYPE of driving/wheeling you do dictate the best overall tire to run on your 100.

Any good A/T tire should serve you well for mixed Highway, forest road, snow, and mild expedition use, unless (like me) due to your geographical location every trail nearby consists mainly of large, sharp, tire-eating rocks and some occasional mud.. an M/T would be the ONLY choice.

Yes, with MT`s your mileage will suffer and they are louder on the pavement,
but they (generally) take a LOT more abuse in the rough stuff :D

calamaridog said:
I would stick with an AT tire such as:

Nitto Terra Grappler
BFG ATKO
Bridgestone REVO
Yokohama Geolander

Ditto. Sounds like a good fit for your usage.

On the high end, I had Michelin LTX A/T on my F150 4x4 and it was a great tire for me. It got great mileage on the hwy, it had a smooth and quiet ride, was excellent on ice, and I had no complaints on gravel and dirt. It also seemed to last forever - I had about 70K on them when I sold it and they still had close to half their tread. They were worlds better than the OEM Firestones. I got a great deal on them at SAMS at the time, but now they are among the most expensive tires in the 265/75R16 size (their largest size). However, they were a good value for me in the long run.

For those looking at the OEM tires on a 100, the H rated Michelin LTX M/S is much nicer in all respects than the S-rated tire and only costs a few dollars more per tire (though you may have to order it).

NMuzj100 said:
The "Private Label" brands may be just as good as the Name Brands or at least as good as the name brand's last model. I would do my own research and not just go by the tire salesman's understanding. There is a big difference between a quality "Private Label" and a Tread-mold Knock-off.

If you do the research, a simple table would be nice to share. (links to the source would be awsome)
Happened to come across this table of Private Label tires and remembered this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom