tire advice? K02 vs Defender, 2013 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine are 285/55/20 BFG A/T KO2’s “D” rated. Use them for Mall Crushing ;). Wear like iron. Snow rated. Plus should be OEM for this 6000 lb SUV. Look good

Most any highway tire will be quieter, more comfortable, have better braking, handling, and fuel economy than the K02. But they won’t look as cool.

The K02 is a big, heavy tire and adding unsprung weight is never a good thing.

For highway use, something like the LTX MS/2 is a great tire. For off-road, the K02 is a great tire.

For snow, nothing will beat a dedicated snow tire like Nokian.

Yes... I would just add that if someone does choose to go with a more aggressive AT...the KO2 is fairly light compared to some competitive ATs.

My 35x12.5x17 Ridge Grapplers are a whopping 9lbs heavier per tire (75.4lb) than the same size KO2 (66.5lbs)...both E rated.

Like you say...for his use, maybe not the greatest, but if looking for a lighter aggressive AT, KO2s are pretty dang light.

Last edited:
Yes... I would just add that if someone does choose to go with a more aggressive AT...the KO2 is fairly light compared to some competitive ATs.

My 35x12.5x17 Ridge Grapplers are a whopping 9lbs heavier per tire (75.4lb) than the same size KO2 (66.5lbs)...both E rated.

Like you say...for his use, maybe not the greatest, if looking for a lighter aggressive AT, KO2s are pretty dang light.

Yeah, I was looking at Ridge Grapplers the other day and was surprised to see how much heavier they were than K02s. That holds true at the 285/65-18 size as well.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm planning to go with five of the michelins this time around.

I have seen some good posts from gaijin about the correct pressure. I assume it should be the same as OEM, but can someone confirm?

Defender LTX M/S
285 /50 R20 116H XL BSW
ITEM: 37671

Thank you all for your replies. I'm planning to go with five of the michelins this time around.

I have seen some good posts from gaijin about the correct pressure. I assume it should be the same as OEM, but can someone confirm?

Defender LTX M/S
285 /50 R20 116H XL BSW
ITEM: 37671

OEM Cold Inflation Pressure specs for the stock P-Metric tires on your 2013 LX570 are:

P285/50R20 111V 33psi F/R = 2,315 LB Load Limit

Recommended Cold Inflation Pressure for the ISO-Metric (ETRTO) Michelin tires on your 2013 LX570 are:

285/50R20/XL 116H 34psi F/R = 2,324 LB Load Limit

So... not quite the same as OEM, but close :cheers:

HTH

This sounds like a job for.......Michelin LTX AT2. Its right in between. Best of both worlds in my opinion. I dont understand why everyone always forgets this tire exists. I had them on my '08 and loved them.

Had the 275/60/20's (33x11x20) fitted to momma's new 2019 LX this morning. I am pretty excited about how it turned out. Better ride due to the taller side wall and very little noise added.

eoFdPVd.jpg

taMlFci.jpg

Sc1WCvZ.jpg

On another note these are a relatively new option to the market that I saw for the first time today when I was at Discount Tire, the Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain AT. They look a lot like the KO2's, nice square edge tread blocks for a more aggressive profile and the sidewall lugs stand out nicely as well. They are far too new to know how they will wear or perform, but if they are half decent I think Goodyear will have a very popular tire here.

uk3dtOE.jpg

xot1Eqs.jpg

HoDJUph.jpg

Had the 275/60/20's (33x11x20) fitted to momma's new 2019 LX this morning. I am pretty excited about how it turned out. Better ride due to the taller side wall and very little noise added.

eoFdPVd.jpg

taMlFci.jpg

Sc1WCvZ.jpg

If those are the LT275/60R20/D 119/116S BFG KO2's, what tire pressure did you decide to run?

Yes, they are the LT275/60R20 119S D1 BFG AT T/A KO2's. As of right now they have 38psi in them and they are measuring right at 32.5" tall on the truck. I am going to try 40psi and 42 psi as well before I settle in on the set air pressure.

On another note these are a relatively new option to the market that I saw for the first time today when I was at Discount Tire, the Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain AT. They look a lot like the KO2's, nice square edge tread blocks for a more aggressive profile and the sidewall lugs stand out nicely as well. They are far too new to know how they will wear or perform, but if they are half decent I think Goodyear will have a very popular tire here.

uk3dtOE.jpg

xot1Eqs.jpg

HoDJUph.jpg

Looks like an AT version of their MT "Fierce Attitude" tire which I have only ever seen on J**ps: Fierce Attitude™ M/T Tires | Goodyear Tires

Yes, they are the LT275/60R20 119S D1 BFG AT T/A KO2's. As of right now they have 38psi in them and they are measuring right at 32.5" tall on the truck. I am going to try 40psi and 42 psi as well before I settle in on the set air pressure.

Just FYI, the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the LT275/60R20 119S D1 BFG AT T/A KO2's on your LX570 is 40psi F/R. This pressure will assure the same Load Limit as the stock P285/50R20 tires at their recommended pressure of 33psi..

HTH

The UltraTerrain is exclusive to Discount and America's Tire, only comes in 7 sizes. That said 285/70/17 is one that could be beneficial to 200s. And also 275/65/20s if that can fit on a LX.

The 275/60/20 is 10lbs lighter than the KO2 in the same size. Food for thought for those shopping for rubber for their LX on stock 20's. They are also $20 cheaper per tire, that alone would have saved me $108, not a massive savings but it's something.

The 275/60/20 is 10lbs lighter than the KO2 in the same size. Food for thought for those shopping for rubber for their LX on stock 20's. They are also $20 cheaper per tire, that alone would have saved me $108, not a massive savings but it's something.

When I was tire shopping a few weeks ago at DT, I asked about those and the store manager told me they only sold 1 set in our area since they were released last year but have continued robust sales of the older Duratracs. Ultraterrain were only 1-2lbs different from KO2 in LT285/70R17. I have liked Wranglers on previous vehicles and was interested if Ultraterrain offered a newer tire design over the venerable KO2 or Duratrac. Lack of availability ended my curiosity then they offered to sell me the KO2s at the less expensive price of the Ultraterrain since they were out of stock.

When I was tire shopping a few weeks ago at DT, I asked about those and the store manager told me they only sold 1 set in our area since they were released last year but have continued robust sales of the older Duratracs. Ultraterrain were only 1-2lbs different from KO2 in LT285/70R17. I have liked Wranglers on previous vehicles and was interested if Ultraterrain offered a newer tire design over the venerable KO2 or Duratrac. Lack of availability ended my curiosity then they offered to sell me the KO2s at the less expensive price of the Ultraterrain since they were out of stock.

I find it mind boggling that people still spend money on DuraCraps, they are an awful tire IMHO. I guess having factory support via some production vehicles shipping with them and a lower price helps. The local DT told me that they are popular with fleet vehicles such as oil field trucks and the like since they are rather inexpensive and readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom