Tips on removing the headlining (to eventually get it back in!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Due to my rusty roof issues as posted last week... I need to investigate further.

Any tips on removing the headlining in a careful manner (i hope to re-use if possible) would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks ~PHIL

This is a patients kind of problem. I have removed many headliners when I used to be in the hail damage business and this is not the kind that is fun to mess with. You will need to remove all the trim pieces and molding around the doors. You then need to just take your time and peal back the liner. Eventually you will get to the rods that hold the roof in. You can bend them out and remove the liner. It will want to tear and rip in lots of places. Just take your time. It will also be very hard to get it back into place and hold a tight look.

I have done hundreds of liners and would not want to do one of these again. We used to have the customer take these to upholstery shop to get done because they are so hard to put back correctly. The new trucks like the 80 are solid cardboard backed liners that hold there shape.

Yea, I too would like to know any tricks to this job. I've got to tackle some body work on the roof on mine too and thats one of the next things I do after I get my engine swap right.

I would not mind having another type of headliner in there like a cardboard cover one or fiberboard..etc. But I think you options are very limted....that will work with all the various trim pieces.

Has anyone thought of just taking all of the trim pieces / headliner off, and just running with dynamat and bedliner?

The liner is also wrapped into the windshield and rear window openings. You need to pull these to do it right, particularly if you want to try to re-use it. This might be the one time I recommend SOR...get their after market new one. Gives you more material to work with and you do not need to try and save the old liner. Pay attention to the details, use 3m adhesive and it helps to have extra clips on hand.

Mitch

headliner

SOR has an aftermarket headliner for a 60? I did not see one the last time I was on the web site.. it this something new?

The liner is also wrapped into the windshield and rear window openings. You need to pull these to do it right, particularly if you want to try to re-use it. This might be the one time I recommend SOR...get their after market new one. Gives you more material to work with and you do not need to try and save the old liner. Pay attention to the details, use 3m adhesive and it helps to have extra clips on hand.

Mitch

Archtimb is correct. You have to loosen everthing including the window molding, door molding, visors, light, everything. It is going to try and tear and it is hard to get back into that molding. It is not fun.

SOR headlinner

Thanks,

I may be all over that, once I understand how the SOR product installs. I just don't see how the OEM headlinner is going to come out without something ripping, or go back in and look right.

I'm guessing you have glue on the roof too or padding above the actual OEM headlinner that has to come out to work on the actual metal roof (weld / body work).

I don't really care about if the headlinner is OEM or not, I just want something that looks at least half-@$$ed once I get the body work done this summer some time.

Well, they did 4 years ago...

Specter Off-Road-Land Cruiser Parts - Page 114-60, 62, 80 Series & FJ Cruiser Body Panels

Interior panels, scroll all the way down.

:)

Mitch

There is insulation glued to the roof. It seems cotton based and very flammable. It will need to come out if you are welding.

The headliner is only glued at the edges and the pillars. It helps to be working with a new liner so you have something to grab onto while you stretch and smooth the liner into the contact cement. Replace the OEM insulation with carpet padding and reflective foil bubble insulation.

Mitch

Take a look at my build thread in my signature and you can see how it is wrapped and glued around all the window frames. All the glass has to come out.

I don't think you will get the same headliner to go back in. You have to pull it tight and glue it. Mine was VERY brittle... I could not imagine trying to pull it tight again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom