Tips for Reinstalling Transmission/Transfer in '93 4-Runner with MT and 3VZE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
After a lot of jockeying around, I was finally able to get the transmission installed to the point where the transmission input shaft has cleared the clutch splines. The gap between the engine and bellhousing is now down to about 3/8", so I'm thinking I'm at the pilot bearing. Or am I at the locating pins? The engine/bellhousing gap appears to be uniform.

Earlier I had test fit the pilot bearing on the input shaft, and it slipped on easily, so I don't think that's an issue.

Any tips or tricks to getting the shaft into the bearing? I do have a couple of stabbing bolts installed, and have loosely installed a couple of bolts. Do you think I can sequentially tighten the bolts to draw the two together?

Others will chime in I'm sure, but for me I always like to wrangle the 2 together w//o any bolt loads.
This way you know beyond shadow of doubt that nothing is binding...or worse.

Did you use alignment pin installing p/p & disc?

Did you use alignment pin installing p/p & disc?
I sure did. It came with the Aisin clutch kit. I double- and triple-checked to make sure the alignment tool slipped in and out freely. I'm pretty sure I drove the pilot bearing in all of the way, hopefully I won't have to pull the transmission again to re-do that.

Start around post 52...

Good luck!

I think I finally got it in, but I had to use a couple of bolts to pull the gap closed. It didn't take much torque on the bolts, on one of them I pretty much used my flex extension. It didn't seem like there was any binding. I'll look at it again tomorrow. I'll separate it a bit by opening the gap with a pry bar, then try to slide it in without using the bolts (just the two guide bolts). Then reinstall the clutch slave cylinder to make sure the clutch action feels right.

I got to thinking (I know that's dangerous), after reading a few clutch disc orientation threads threads last night, about what I may have forgotten to do during reassembly. I'm 100% sure I got the disc in properly, but I know I didn't use any blue Loctite on the flywheel bolts. And I don't think I applied any grease to the front of the throwout bearing.

Should I go ahead and pull the transmission again? I haven't installed any clutch housing bolts, it's supported at the front by the temporary guide bolts. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but we do have a 40% chance of snow today.

I got to thinking (I know that's dangerous), after reading a few clutch disc orientation threads threads last night, about what I may have forgotten to do during reassembly. I'm 100% sure I got the disc in properly, but I know I didn't use any blue Loctite on the flywheel bolts. And I don't think I applied any grease to the front of the throwout bearing.

Should I go ahead and pull the transmission again? I haven't installed any clutch housing bolts, it's supported at the front by the temporary guide bolts. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but we do have a 40% chance of snow today.
If the bolts were torqued properly, I would think that the Loctite wouldn't be a deal breaker; good insurance, but not entirely necessary. The lack of grease will be an issue, in my mind. If the FSM says to do it, I take it to heart. Be like me- pull the transmission 3-4 times for practice! :rolleyes: :censor:

Glad you got the two hooked up.
Cheers!

Well, the transmission is back out, I used a come-a-long to pull it back up the slightly sloped driveway. Nicer working conditions today with sunshine and a temperature of about 55 degrees.

Just as I thought, I neglected to apply grease to the front of the throwout bearing. Tomorrow morning I'll remove the clutch and flywheel, then reinstall with blue Loctite on the flywheel bolt threads. And hopefully I can get the transmission back in place and start to install bolts while I still have some daylight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom