Tips for Installing new CV Axle Seal (I keep bombing) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those seals can be tricky. Even after doing 50 plus of them I will still get one come back leaking. That’s even with the factory seal installer tool. Best advice I can give is to use a little grease on the spring so it doesn’t pop out when installing it, make sure it’s a OE seal and a lot of patience!

does anyone know what the part number is for a replacement c-clip for the inner cv axle? mine is a bit mangled.

Edit: part number is 90521-34003. Search under "ring"

Last edited:
Well I'm about ready to sell this thing... New seal leaking after about 30 miles

Might want to run it in to a trustworthy dealer or local indy Toyota shop. It's (in theory) a small and accessible enough job that they can look at it an hopefully find what's wrong quickly. There is no shame with throwing in the towel on a small problem on a pretty extensive build like you have. Or.....honestly...put some silicone on the outer edge of the seal (assuming it's at the seal-to-diff and not the inner-seal-to-CV). That's not a "proper" fix but a half-assed one I would have no qualms doing on my rig.

If you do sell I call dibs on those lockers and that sweet Dana 60 :).

Might want to run it in to a trustworthy dealer or local indy Toyota shop. It's (in theory) a small and accessible enough job that they can look at it an hopefully find what's wrong quickly. There is no shame with throwing in the towel on a small problem on a pretty extensive build like you have. Or.....honestly...put some silicone on the outer edge of the seal (assuming it's at the seal-to-diff and not the inner-seal-to-CV). That's not a "proper" fix but a half-assed one I would have no qualms doing on my rig.

If you do sell I call dibs on those lockers and that sweet Dana 60 :).
Yeah I am calling it. Called a guy at the dealer and left a message ( referred to by a friend).

What's really going to scramble your brain is that I did apply a gasket sealer this time ( specifically for differentials) and it still failed.

I'm starting to think it's something with the bearing in the diff tube, or something causing the axle to not be centered relative to the seal

If course I could be so bad at this install that I'm causing the issue, but I've done plenty press seals and never had this kind of issue.

If I sell it I'll let you know. Right now I'm just whining and saying things I don't mean, but you already knew that 😅

I'm starting to think it's something with the bearing in the diff tube, or something causing the axle to not be centered relative to the seal

Do you have a dial indicator on a magnetic base? You can see how out of round the bearing surface is while rotating the wheel/axle. Also see if there is any play when you grab the axle and move it up/down and fwd/rear.

Do you have a dial indicator on a magnetic base? You can see how out of round the bearing surface is while rotating the wheel/axle. Also see if there is any play when you grab the axle and move it up/down and fwd/rear.
I do not but I can buy one. Are you suggesting measuring the actual bearing or the axle surface?

I did check both axles for play when I was under the rig last time and there was a tiny bit of play on both sides, but I could not tell if both were the same or if the passenger was worse. The driver side certainly did not feel worse.

There is probably a lot more help for something like this in the 80 section. I know a lot of folks are running RTV on the outside of the seal.

well i brought to a local shop that is known around here for suspension work on these rigs. The owner and I talked for a few minutes. I walked him through what I've done and he doesn't think it's user error. Said he's seen this same situation once before on a tundra and he ended up replacing the tube and it fixed it. Said he couldn't find any obvious issue with it, but the issue was resolved.

I'm looking at doing this given my rig has about 280k on the clock. However, it appears i have to buy the tube and all the parts individually and put it together ( I haven't seen a sub-assembly I can buy from toyota). I haven't been able to find the process for doing this, so any suggestions would be helpful.

Also one other thing I want to run by the group....

My differential was regeared and locked by ECGS. They recommend a 85w-140 which is vastly different from the stock fluid. Would this cause leak issues? Note that I'm not having leaks anywhere else, but I figured I'd note this.

Last edited:
well after doing some more digging on this topic, I've decided to buy a brand new OEM axle to replace the reman that I purchased from toyota. I have read multiple accounts of this exact issue and the solution being a new OEM axle. Stay tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom