Tips for Installing new CV Axle Seal (I keep bombing) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I've done this twice now. The first time, I used a pvc pipe that supposedly got the right depth. The second time, I used the wits end tool. Since I have failed twice, I'm looking for tips or confirmation on my checklist before I try this again.

1. Use wits end tool to get flush mount
2. Be sure to press entire seal evenly (not angle in)
3. Grease seal lip and tube lip prior to installation
4. Make sure tube is clean and free of debris.

I probably missed the mark on #2 last time (not intentionally). Everything else I did. I am installing with the tube on the car. I will use a new seal (as I've done every time). Any other suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks.

Installed a new seal. This time I did not lubricate with grease based on suggestions from Toyota techs. Was leak free for about 250 miles. Checked after traveling across the state and it's leaking again. No idea what to do. Also pissed beyond words. This isn't the first press fit seal I've installed, but it is the first where I've had this much failure.

Is there maybe a burr or other sharp edge on the shaft that is causing repeated failures? I've installed a number myself (including pinion seals) and also never had one leak, which makes me wonder if something else is damaging your seal.

the shafts are new, but I should investigate this. I'm going to try to see if I can determine where the leak is occurring (inner or outer diameter), but probably won't know until I return from my current trip

If you can find a bottle of AT-205 it might seal things up a bit (at least temporarily). Not sure if you can easily find it in stock at an auto parts store but it's the best thing for a leaky seal.

A couple of things come to mind:

Did you fill the rear of the seal with grease to keep the spring in place during installation? It is not in your list of steps above. This will prevent the spring from popping out as you tap the seal into place.

Check the diff housing for corrosion: difficult to see, but run your finger around it and see if you feel anything. Clean up any corrosion (rough spots) before installing the seal.

How is the sealing surface of the driveshaft? Any gouges or wear? Are these OEM axles?

FYI, I used a simple turned piece of plastic to install the seals:

diff_seal__bushing.jpg

A couple of things come to mind:

Did you fill the rear of the seal with grease to keep the spring in place during installation? It is not in your list of steps above. This will prevent the spring from popping out as you tap the seal into place.

Check the diff housing for corrosion: difficult to see, but run your finger around it and see if you feel anything. Clean up any corrosion (rough spots) before installing the seal.

How is the sealing surface of the driveshaft? Any gouges or wear? Are these OEM axles?

FYI, I used a simple turned piece of plastic to install the seals:

View attachment 3565990
I did dab the spring with grease. The one I pulled last time was in place when I pulled the seal. I will inspect.

IIRC there may be some corrosion right on that outer lip of the tube, but I cleaned the mating surface on the last install. I'll check this again. Suggestions for cleaning this? Sanding seems risky, but maybe I'm over thinking it....

I am going to do a better inspection of the axle shaft. This wasn't something I looked for previously, so I could have missed it. These are brand new reman shafts from Toyota. I've had no issues with the other axle.

I used the wits end tool. Seal was even depth all the way around last install

Appreciate the suggestions.

Guys - what is the correct part number? I'm using 90311-47013. Just want to make sure I have this right.

IIRC there may be some corrosion right on that outer lip of the tube, but I cleaned the mating surface on the last install. I'll check this again. Suggestions for cleaning this? Sanding seems risky, but maybe I'm over thinking it....

Don't use a power sander or grinder. I used some fine grit emery cloth (#320) to smooth out the inner bore. Just at the are of any rough spots.
Otherwise roughness of the corroded area was scraping the rubbery coating on the outside of the seal.

Guys - what is the correct part number? I'm using 90311-47013. Just want to make sure I have this right.

That is correct (checked for my '08, but probably the same for all other years). You can also use a NATIONAL 710595.

9031147013.jpg

Here's two pictures of the axle. Surface looks good to me. When I initially pulled the axle, the seal looked like it was leaking from the bottom. However it's unclear if that was just due to gravity (I wiped the bottom prior to taking the picture). Pulled the seal and the inner spring was in tact. I will take more pictures when the fluid has drained

IMG20240302115013.jpg

IMG20240302115021.jpg

IMG20240302115628.jpg

Added pictures of diff tube. Ran finger across surface. No noticeable irregularities in the surface.

Any thoughts?

IMG20240302134404.jpg

IMG20240302134401.jpg

IMG20240302134308.jpg

IMG20240302134229.jpg

IMG20240302135106.jpg

That bore looks pretty good. Is there any raised edge (step) at the bore to corroded outside?

The axle looks pretty good. According to SKF, that seal spec is for a 1.850" (47mm) axle. Are you able to accurately measure the OD of the shaft where the seal sits?

That bore looks pretty good. Is there any raised edge (step) at the bore to corroded outside?

The axle looks pretty good. According to SKF, that seal spec is for a 1.850" (47mm) axle. Are you able to accurately measure the OD of the shaft where the seal sits?
Didn't feel any kind of edge at the bore. Checked multiple times.

I've got a pair of calipers that I'll use to measure the shaft in the morning.

For the group:

Do you guys typically lubricate the seal for install? The service manual says to do it but I've seen Toyota techs comment and say to do it dry. I've done both with the same results

I've never lubricated the inside of a seal.

One other thing to note: I checked my breather and there is no issue. It's brand new (ARB).

I had this same issue, went through 3 drivers side seals (2 back to back while towing my camper on vacation), two were aftermarket and the third was genuine toyota. I had aftermarket axles up front, one of the aftermarket axles started vibrating so I finally had enough and bought two more axle seals and CVJ axles. The drivers seal stopped leaking after the CVJs/ new seal was installed. There was a noticeable difference in feel when popping the CVJ axle in too. I've heard the reman dealer Toyota axles are not genuine toyota axles but rebranded lesser quality ones. Just wanted to share my experience, no more
vibrations or leaks for me.

I had this same issue, went through 3 drivers side seals (2 back to back while towing my camper on vacation), two were aftermarket and the third was genuine toyota. I had aftermarket axles up front, one of the aftermarket axles started vibrating so I finally had enough and bought two more axle seals and CVJ axles. The drivers seal stopped leaking after the CVJs/ new seal was installed. There was a noticeable difference in feel when popping the CVJ axle in too. I've heard the reman dealer Toyota axles are not genuine toyota axles but rebranded lesser quality ones. Just wanted to share my experience, no more
vibrations or leaks for me.
Thanks for the input. I bought these directly from toyota. They look exactly like a new OEM axle should, including the toyota sticker. As noted above, I checked the diameter of the axle and it appears to be within spec (I don't know the tolerance so I can't confirm).

I have noticed any vibration but this is something I'll check on the next install.

For everyone else: Since I am not interested in going insane, I've decided to put the new seal in and lubricating the outside of the seal, but this time with a dab of Differential RTV (yes I know that's not what's spec'd). Right now it is not obvious to me what is causing my issue other than the seal is not holding due to a failure in the install process (damage to the seal, some other surface defect I cannot find). I will post back with updates as I make progress and put some miles on this assembly. If this fails again, I may just take it to toyota and have them tell me exactly what the problem is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom