Timing chain tensioner gasket replacement, need a lil help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think the gasket to the chain tensioner is leaking. I ordered the gasket. Looked at the FSM and it just says to inspect the plunger for movement, I watched a few videos and some say to crank the engine manually, but the FSM just says re-install n torque. Anyone done this job on a 96 can give a lil advice.

I think the gasket to the chain tensioner is leaking. I ordered the gasket. Looked at the FSM and it just says to inspect the plunger for movement, I watched a few videos and some say to crank the engine manually, but the FSM just says re-install n torque. Anyone done this job on a 96 can give a lil advice.

If it’s hydraulic then yes basically just push it in and torque. If it’s ratcheting then. You need to set the hook, roll back the crank slightly to slack the chain and then insert until it releases and torque. The FSM has the process for the ratcheting kind.

I think it is hydraulic, HAVENT pulled it yet bc haven’t got the gasket. I was looking at the ratcheting one on wits end says it’s supposed to be better

I think it is hydraulic, HAVENT pulled it yet bc haven’t got the gasket. I was looking at the ratcheting one on wits end says it’s supposed to be better

On paper it’s “better” but Toyota and every other car company dumped that style for the hydraulic.

I can’t speak to it as mine is hydraulic.

how do you know if its hydraulic or ratcheting type?
I ordered mine from Toyota dealer. It has the little hook that holds the cylinder in place.

Like this?
1679857659907.png

That would be the ratcheting design...

I learned there are three OEM types. The one malleus posted is modified by wits end and is the ratcheting type. You can’t see the ridges well in the photo but that’s the ratcheting design.

The photo below shows the two other designs without the ratcheting mechanism. You can see the one on the left I removed from my engine has the extra pin at the top and hook where my replacement does not.
3AC99317-9DE9-4132-907B-8EE66F66497D.jpeg

CCF77CB5-3AAB-4B7D-88A9-0B9BC01352FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom