Timing Chain and Broken Dreams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently, I took my old 88 FJ62 (265K) to get serviced when it abruptly stopped on me at a stoplight (It started shaking back and forth suddenly, the radio went dead, and it just sort of went silent...). I took it into my normal mechanic and they repaired wiring to the alternator which they said was old and "broke". Now it drives, but they told me the issue with the shaking is probably the timing chain which they believe could fail but is too expensive to open up and look at without essentially making a bunch of other expensive repairs which they don't recommend. I am not sure why. For some reason, this has just been the year of repairs. In 2019, I've already replaced a radiator, shocks/struts, catalytic converters, a window master switch, and battery. I feel like with this timing chain I know I am going to find other stuff that just needs replacement and maybe even the engine which they told me would cost easily between 5-10K. For that cost, I sort of feel like I could just buy another used crusier....ect. If this chain blows my engine could be damaged so I have barely driven it more than a few blocks since I got it back. It's just depressing. Thoughts? Sentiments?

Recently, I took my old 88 FJ62 (265K) to get serviced when it abruptly stopped on me at a stoplight (It started shaking back and forth suddenly, the radio went dead, and it just sort of went silent...). I took it into my normal mechanic and they repaired wiring to the alternator which they said was old and "broke". Now it drives, but they told me the issue with the shaking is probably the timing chain which they believe could fail but is too expensive to open up and look at without essentially making a bunch of other expensive repairs which they don't recommend. I am not sure why. For some reason, this has just been the year of repairs. In 2019, I've already replaced a radiator, shocks/struts, catalytic converters, a window master switch, and battery. I feel like with this timing chain I know I am going to find other stuff that just needs replacement and maybe even the engine which they told me would cost easily between 5-10K. For that cost, I sort of feel like I could just buy another used crusier....ect. If this chain blows my engine could be damaged so I have barely driven it more than a few blocks since I got it back. It's just depressing. Thoughts? Sentiments?
I’d highly recommend finding a mechanic that is familiar with older cruisers. These trucks are gear driven and do not have timing chains. Also, you can open the front of this motor fairly quickly and fix leaky seals etc. good luck and hopefully someone in your area can help you find a quality shop to help you out.

LOL. Find another mechanic. Your engine doesn't have a timing chain.
Your 3FE is a fuel injected tractor motor from 1986. It is a very basic 1st generation EFI powerplant. More than likely it is something simple, rather than catastrophic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom