Time for new head and gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Head went to machine shop along with new head. They will pull the cam, valves etc. from the old head to see what can be re-used and then install into new head after turning the parts. If I need to replace valves and associated parts instead of just having them re-surfaced then the price will start ticking up.

Thanks. I know it all depends on each engine. I was just wondering roughly how scared I should be. hahaha.

Thanks. I know it all depends on each engine. I was just wondering roughly how scared I should be. hahaha.

Be scared, very scared! Then stop for a moment and realize that you'll have an engine ready to go another 200-300K! Certainly cheaper than a car payment for 5 years!

Well, I just received another blow in the repair world. Not only is my HG on its last leg but my Tranny went out on my 03 Nissan Frontier daily beater. Thought it was going to be the throw-out bearing but nope it's the tranny and while they are in there new clutch! Looking at about $1600 for that before I do HG! Good thing I just got a raise!

Sorry to hear about the tranny Mark, seems like when it rains it pours. After I get the truck back from John I will need tires soon so it never ends.

Got a call from John this morning that the new head was back and they were starting to put things back together. Ran over to check the new head and all parts before they are installed and loved seeing all the new shiny parts going into the truck. I did get a scolding from John for doing my own brakes. Evidently the spring that holds the retaining pin through the brake pads fell off and the pin was sticking half way out towards my wheel. :oops: Note to self: replace the little parts while you are in there with new OEM parts.

Hmmm...must be doing brakes ok here. Didn't get the same scolding! hehehe At least it was caught before the pin came out letting the pads work loose! Yikes!!!

WooHoo just picked up the Cruiser from John and she runs great! :bounce2::bounce:

That was fast. Congrats!

Now take that half new engine out and get 'er dirty!!! The new head is way to purty to be kept that way. Knew you'd be happy with John's work.

That was fast. Congrats!

Only 3 1/2 days but I got lucky as the machine shop turned the head around quickly.

Now take that half new engine out and get 'er dirty!!! The new head is way to purty to be kept that way. Knew you'd be happy with John's work.

Very happy with John's work and even came in under budget which will make the Director of Budget and Planning happy. My quarterly EBITDA will look a little better than I thought allowing for some investment in fixed assets in the form of tires.

LOL! Got to keep the Director of Budget and Planning happy for sure! You going to stay with 285's? What I remember most specifically about picking up my truck from John was how absolutely smooth she ran. Is was unbelievable.

LOL! Got to keep the Director of Budget and Planning happy for sure! You going to stay with 285's? What I remember most specifically about picking up my truck from John was how absolutely smooth she ran. Is was unbelievable.

Yep sticking with the 285's and probably the Cooper ST Maxx. Cruiser is running super smooth and I can't wait for a little road trip.

Well, finally got the funds in order for my repair after two surprises with my daily driver over the last few months.
Anyway forget the stupid Nissan, the Cruiser is with John and the boys of SD Trux and a blown HG was confirmed today. So new head and gasket going in.

You will be extremely happy with his work. When I picked up my truck from John after my HG it was running as well as when I bought it in '94. Testament to his slogan of putting it back together the way Mr T built it!

Do you know if the head is good yet? He found a huge crack in mine that was 'missed' by the shop in OC that did the HG the first time. As obvious as it was I can't believe they didn't catch it or just plain over torqued the head bolts.

John's as honest as June 21st is long!

Nice Mark! I did not notice a gain in power after mine was done but it has been running as smooth as silk. The biggest difference was the dramatic decline in oil usage. Right before the head gasket was done I was burning a quart every 800 miles and sometimes even more depending on driving conditions. Since the head gasket I have put 3,500 miles on it without losing a drop of oil. :cool:

My decline was in usage of coolant, not oil. Both oil and coolant are symptoms of the HG being blown. I agree with Dan's comment about smooth as silk. You aren't going to get any more power than what's designed...unless you super or turbo charge. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom