Time for carpet... Cdan... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Urghhhhh! :mad: So I picked up some pool supplies because it's gettin' hot down here in Houston... 1 Gal bottle of Algae killer among other various chemicals... and I put it in back cargo area for the ride back to work. First Stoplight comes up red, start to brake and I hear "Phoooomp.... glug glug glug glug glug..." :eek: I look back as I am trying to stop for traffic with one arm over the seats trying to right the f'in Algae Killer bottle. By the time I get stopped, half gallon of it is gone. Top popped off as soon as it hit its side. Went right under where the back carpet ends and the molded front carpet begins. Yell obscenities. :censor: . Go immediately to the diy car wash and spend the best $.75 I ever did on the vac... thinking now I got most of it up. I reluctantly go back to work and then get home and start really investigating.

Long story short, end up pulling PS back seat, PS front seat, all trim and carpet up along PS and all the rear carpet and find most of the 1/2 gal in the carpet, felt padding and electrical conduit all the way to the base of the A pillar in the drain channel (think light colored maple syrup). :crybaby: spend the next 4 hours cleaning it out... including the plastic wire conduit that was soaked...(replaced it after cleaning the individual wires). Funny thing is I just put in my medium OME and it has pretty good stinkbug stance that for sure sent all the fluid to the front down the drain channel (my spacers should be here any day...).

Got dark before I could put everything back, but my inlaws are coming in 3 days and tomorrow night is shot for working on it... so I have to put it all back together, Algae stained carpet and all...

So I am thinking this is a great excuse for new carpet and Dynamat to put in during June. Got the Dynamat on ebay tonight and Cdan, I will be calling you tomorrow. Oak, front & Rear carpet sets including wheel arches, 2 Rear cargo hooks (mine are pretty corroded) and Rear Carpet Plate and screws. Probably misc trim connectors as well (along with the other items I mentioned before). Bulk discout perhaps?

Anything else I should do while it is up (besides new Padding/felt)?

Good news is I never have to worry about Algae build up on the PS of my LC! :censor:

I think you're going to faint when you hear how much these parts are. I asked about these recently and it was a show stopper for me.

DougM

oem carpets are unbelievable $$ -- may heed you to look for a wreck --

-- sorry to hear this --

:(

e

Yeah I bet those old soggy carpets "won't look so bad after all" in the morning...

Sorry about the damage though. I did something similar with a leaky battery once (didn't know it was leaky...)

David

Rent a steam cleaner and get after it.

Buck

Better break all the piggy banks. :crybaby:

Dans gonna have some fat pups. :D

After the initial shock has worn off (and the whiskey that drowned my sorrow), The front carpet doesn't look so bad. The rear is pretty nasty, so I will for sure be getting that. SOR has some decent prices if the sticker shock from Dan is too much. The front is still going to come out for cleaning and new pad.

I was expecting some wierd smell getting in it this morning and was pleasantly supprised to find that it actually smells better than it did... Maybe that Algae killer killed some mildew that was in the carpet felt pad!

Sure is a lot noisier without the rear carpet in it though... hear a lot of noises I have never heard before.

Forgot to mention... the conduit guide that is stitched into the carpet that clamps onto the PS front door sill was melted a bit on the bottom... no doubt from the hot cats that are right underneath. Will be installing some heat shield mat their...

Good luck I LOL at your sig.....algae free PS.....

LineXing the inside of an 80 sounds crazy to me! It does nothing for sound proofing, your nuts/bolts will not be removable and chances are you won't be hosing down the interior with a garden hose after wheeling and it'll be hotter on the passenger side.
:D

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Yanking your carpet and Line-Xing it is also an option. it's one I'm seriously considering myself.

The cargo area carpet is about 200 bucks and the front half is about 390 bucks for a 95-97 model.

Like Arya suggested I'ld seriously consider Linex. In time I will be going this route due to the hard wear and tear my truck gets. Carpet is very nice but for me I need the durability. Good luck.

alia176 said:
LineXing the inside of an 80 sounds crazy to me! It does nothing for sound proofing, your nuts/bolts will not be removable and chances are you won't be hosing down the interior with a garden hose after wheeling and it'll be hotter on the passenger side.
:D

Who says you won't get any soundproofing out of it? I've talked to quite a few people who have Line-Xed the insides of their rigs, and they all reported improved sound deadening.

Also, I probably would hose down the inside of my truck after 'wheelin if it were an option. Beats the hell out of scrubbing and vacuuming...

Ary

Man, sorry to hear about this. But I do know why it happened.

After you blew us off on Saturday, I saw JR doing some wierd dance around my 80 as I was lying underneath draining the diff lube. I asked him what he was doing, and he mumbled something about "white Cruiser going down".

You better make it out to the next GTG or something really bad might happen :)

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Who says you won't get any soundproofing out of it? I've talked to quite a few people who have Line-Xed the insides of their rigs, and they all reported improved sound deadening.

Ary

Probably folks who don't have carpet to begin with.

cargo area carpet is about 200 bucks and the front half is about 390 bucks

That's not so bad.. I was thinking 4 digits based on the setup you :princess: guys above were dishin.. I think if you did all new carpet, new floor mats, and cleaned everything else up real nice you'd be seriusly pimpin. :grinpimp: Way less $$ than a set of tires and I'd say equally enjoyable for everyday life. Tires look cool when walking to your truck, but you'd be stoked the whole way to work living large in your new feeling interior. Could finally route all those wires, too.

cruiserdan said:
The cargo area carpet is about 200 bucks and the front half is about 390 bucks for a 95-97 model.
Dan, does the cargo area carpet include the tailgate? After so many diaper changes, mine's been pretty well contaminated with baby, well, you know... :rolleyes:

Cookiemonster said:
Like Arya suggested I'ld seriously consider Linex. In time I will be going this route due to the hard wear and tear my truck gets. Carpet is very nice but for me I need the durability. Good luck.

I've thought about the Linex too, but I balk at the idea of so much chemical disintegrating in the hot interior while the truck is parked for hours/days, waiting to climb into my lungs when I get in the car. Does anyone know if it is "rated" for interior use?

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom