Tilt steering column vertical slop (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted the question in my purchase thread but disassembled this morning to find the cause.

The tilt release lever moves 2 small arms with multiple small teeth (like a portion of a gear) away from the main column which also has multiple small teeth for the arm to engage upon.

The issue I found was that there is some wear on both sets of teeth but more importantly the arms that move during unlock would not return fully caused by some binding in linkage but more that spring tension that returns them would not pull them tight into each other.

Since I'm the only one driving my 80 I decided to lock in the tilt steering temporarily until I can source a stronger set of return springs

Pictured below is my temporary fix (small sheet metal screw that fit snuggly in the gap between linkage and geared arm forcing the gears to stay 100% engaged thus removing any possibility of movement) this was installed on both sides of steering column in the same place.

Column is as tight as the day it left the factory and easily removed for a more permanent fix in the future.

Apologize if this issue has already been addressed somewhere but I looked all over for just a picture or theory of operation and came up with nothing

To clarify also this fix would be permanent for anyone who no longer wishes to have a tilt column. (trail rig operated by same person all the time)

2013-03-15_08-51-02_278.jpg

Interesting. I have the same problem. This is the first time I've seen anyone identify a potential cause. FWIW the springs show up as separate parts on one of the diagrams on villagetoyotaparts.com. They're only a couple bucks each. I may give that a shot. Thanks!

Let me know how it goes. I would also use a little lubrication on the moving pieces as well as clean the teeth to allow smooth engagement.

Does the whole column need to be pulled or do you think it could be done in place?

In place for sure. All you have to do is pull the plastic covers around the column to access everything. Worst case if you can't fix it with the new springs you can always jam some screws in there where you want the wheel to be, assuming you are the only one driving. I don't really see me spending the time to mess with it again as I have the wheel where I want it.

I got new springs and replaced them. That didn't fix the problem. I'm now completely disassembling the tilt mechanism to see if I can find the problem. It's definitely in the tilt mechanism. The column attached to the dash is solid. Luckily it can be disassembled without removing the wheel or any o the dash. I'm taking lots of pics and will let you know what I find. Stay tuned!

I had this problem with mine. The Toyota dealership shortened the spring a little and mine has worked fine for several years now. They said if this did not work the options were to live with it or replace the column. I can say the shortened spring fix has worked very well.

Finished cleaning and reassembling. Still not fixed but it's better. There was alot of old sticky grease in the assembly. It moves more smoothly and the teeth engage better, but there is still slop. If I manually push the teeth together harder, it goes away. It looks to me like the cams that are engaged by the springs may be worn and therefore can't apply the necessary force to clamp the teeth tight. I will see if I can order those parts. I'll try to get some pics out tonight.

I think the problem is with the part marked "E" in this picture or with the with the teeth that it moves. You can see that part is pulled tight by a spring attached where my fingers are (spring is off for the photo). I think the parts have worn to the point where they no longer have the leverage to engage the teeth tightly. Putting in a tighter spring may solve this problem if they aren't too worn, however, in my case they are probably too worn for that to work. I'm going to try replacing both of those parts on each side (if they're still available). Here are the part numbers:

PART NUMBER
PAWL ASSEMBLY LH 4589022090
PAWL ASSEMBLY RH 4589020110
PAWL STOPPER MARK 4 4589322060
PAWL STOPPER MARK E 4589322120

The total order is about $40 including shipping. Note that there are many different stoppers with different marks. Not sure what the differences between them are, but I have mark 4 and E. You can go to villagetoyotaparts.com to get the other numbers. If this doesn't fix it, then the teeth are probably are just too worn and a new steering column is necessary. If that's the case, I may just go with the screw fix that started this thread!

Tilt Column.JPG

Seems like you are well on your way to fixing this the right way. Keep me posted as the repair unfolds.

Hopefully! Parts are ordered, we should know in about a week.

I had the same issue and did the similar things you've done: clean the old grease and then buy a stronger spring from a hardware store. Since I don't adjust my tilt very often, I'm less inclined to think that the teeth are worn. So far, so good - only time will tell I guess.

The teeth don't show any obvious wear. I may try stronger springs too. I replaced with OEM but a tighter spring may be required.

Well, all the parts were available except for this one: PAWL STOPPER MARK E 4589322120

I ordered PAWL STOPPER MARK D 4589322110 instead. No clue if it's the same thing or close enough to work. It was also the only one left in the country, so even if it works, it won't be widely available. However, if this fix works, at least it will show what parts you can grab from a junkyard to fix the problem without resorting to replacing the entire column. Probably going to be a couple weeks before I get all the parts unfortunately.

Subscribed.

Mine has had play in it too since I bought it years ago and no one has either believed me or found the initiative to solve it. Its a little thing but it affects how you perceive your truck handles.

I will never change my own headgasket or rebuild a engine, but by dammit I'm going to fix that 3/16" of slop in my steering column if it kills me!

I will never change my own headgasket or rebuild a engine, but by dammit I'm going to fix that 3/16" of slop in my steering column if it kills me!

You GO dude!

FIXED IT! NO NEW PARTS REQURIED! Here's how it went down:

I got the new Pawl Assemblies and took them out to snap some pics. At that point, I noticed both pawls have bushings that let them rotate freely. Upon closer inspection, the passenger side pawl has an offset hole in the bushing and flat nut shaped sides. That made me think... Why? Then it dawned on me... IT'S AN ADJUSTMENT!

Instead of installing the new pawls, I went to my steering column and rotated that bushing a little bit at a time and tested my steering column slop each time. After about 90 degrees of rotation, THE SLOP WAS COMPLETELY GONE! I rotated it some more just to see what would happen, and the slop came back. Rotated it some more, and the slop again went away. I've attached some pictures of the pawl and the bushing that needs rotation.

My theory on what's happening now is that over time, the grease gets sticky between these bushings and the pawls. Then, every time you tilt the wheel, the movement of the pawl rotates the bushing and moves that offset hole out of position until you get slop in the column. Cleaning and greasing everything, rotating the bushing, and tightening down on the bolt that holds the pawls in place should be the only fix required!

I'm going to drive like this for awhile and see if it holds up. Hopefully others can do this and report back their results to confirm.

Pawl Nut.JPG

Pawl Bushing.JPG

Rotated Bushing.JPG

Well kick ass observation my friend. I'll take mine back apart this weekend and see if I cant do the same. Wish I would have taken the time do disassemble the first time I was in there. I even looked for adjustment but never removed that bolt to see offset bushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom