Throttle Control Motor... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I've been throwing a p1126 engine code the past few weeks and have started to diagnose the problem. I'm not able to get a oscilloscope to check the ECM so I moved to the next step of checking the resistance of the throttle body motor. It reads 5.7-5.8 ohms when it should be 4.2-5.2 ohms. I figure it the crap part that is throwing the code and needs replacement. So my question is how difficult is replacing the throttle control motor with magnetic clutch?

Last edited:
LXMUTT - Did you get your problem fixed ?

I am troubleshooting a TPS/APPS/TB issue throwing P0121 and P1128 codes.

Used a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the Throttle Control Motor and heard nothing bad. The resistance in my motor and motor clutch was in range.

I will replace the TPS and see if that fixes it next. I replaced the APPS about 45,000 miles ago and doubt that it is the problem.

Toyota does not sell the throttle control motor separately that I could find (making you purchase a whole TB) but the FSM assumes that it is a replaceable part.

Standard Motor Products sells a replacement as the TMC1 Throttle Control Motor. One Amazon review says it was a perfect replacement in a 2002 LX 470 and it looks right.

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Mot...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0X1W4E7E4Y61SZBGKV5Z

71s1a5i3znL._SL1500_.jpg

Replacement of the throttle control motor looks very easy but I have not done it. A couple of bolts and a wave washer holding it in.

Used a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the Throttle Control Motor and heard nothing bad. The resistance in my motor and motor clutch was in range.

I will replace the TPS and see if that fixes it next. I replaced the APPS about 45,000 miles ago and doubt that it is the problem.

Toyota does not sell the throttle control motor separately that I could find (making you purchase a whole TB) but the FSM assumes that it is a replaceable part.

Standard Motor Products sells a replacement as the TMC1 Throttle Control Motor. One Amazon review says it was a perfect replacement in a 2002 LX 470 and it looks right.

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Mot...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0X1W4E7E4Y61SZBGKV5Z

71s1a5i3znL._SL1500_.jpg

Replacement of the throttle control motor looks very easy but I have not done it. A couple of bolts and a wave washer holding it in.

I haven't fixed it yet. light still comes on in the cold mornings. Ive seen that TCM before and is the reason I haven't fixed it yet. The early years of the cruiser (1998-2002) had a throttle body that has been known to have a lot of issues, so the cruiser shop told me they just replace the entire throttle body that comes with all new sensors and motors. That way you wont be chasing down all the problems. I've been trying to decide whether or not to replace the motor or just the entire TB. I'll probably just replace the throttle body and be done with is sense I cant return electronic parts(TCM). hope this helps

71s1a5i3znL._SL1500_.jpg

71s1a5i3znL._SL1500_.jpg

I haven't fixed it yet. light still comes on in the cold mornings. Ive seen that TCM before and is the reason I haven't fixed it yet. The early years of the cruiser (1998-2002) had a throttle body that has been known to have a lot of issues, so the cruiser shop told me they just replace the entire throttle body that comes with all new sensors and motors. That way you wont be chasing down all the problems. I've been trying to decide whether or not to replace the motor or just the entire TB. I'll probably just replace the throttle body and be done with is sense I cant return electronic parts(TCM). hope this helps

I replaced the motor on my 2000 Cruiser after also replacing the TPS and Accelerator Position sensor as well. Long story that turned out to be a leaky intake gasket from a prior repair the year before. The shop did refund my $. Fast forward a year, I had a new starter put on at a much better shop. They couldn't get things to run correctly and ended up needing to replace the throttle body. Since that wasn't the original problem, the shop gave it to me at cost with no labor. Was about $200 and came with sensors and all, ready to install. Zero issues after replacing the throttle body. IF you can find a shop that can get a quality throttle body assembly, they will be much less expensive than the stealership. Only other advise is to NOT go with cheap Autozone parts for electronics. A simple Toyota TPS would have saved me hundreds a few years ago. I made the mistake of trying to save a buck with crappy quality parts. Lesson learned.

I've never had to replace a throttle body. IIRC it seemed to be in 98-99 where this was a somewhat rare issue. You may want to see what @AimCOtaco has to say on the subject.

All I can be certain of is that I've not had any TB related issues at all since I just bit the bullet and replaced mine. (70,000mi and 7 years ago now)

My thinking is that because there is a gear train in there that lot's of solvent cleaning can be a bad thing and that if the gear train is in fact binding you'll get errors for the motor/TPS/APPS but not be able to correct it by changing those parts.

A great price when I did mine for OEM was about $800 so I don't know how $200 could land a new OEM TB assembly today but I can't say for sure...

The price stung and it wasn't the common 'mud approach to these issues but I'm glad I did it when I did.

I replaced my TPS today and cleaned the TB. Initially after the repair I cleared the codes and the P0121 stayed and truck started in "limp mode". Removed the battery cable for a few minutes, put it back, cleared the code on and it runs great. I removed some slack in the throttle cable attached to the APPS and I think that helped with the feel of responsiveness.

Issues to watch for:

- I lost a TPS screw and had to fish with a magnetic pick-up tool.
- Both TPS screws wanted to strip until I put some PB Blaster on them and got a brand new screwdriver tip.
- I broke the rearmost hose mount on the airbox when reattaching it.
- I fixed it with a piece of plastic tubing that fit inside the tube and some plastic cement.

1998-2002 part number 22030-50142 for the throttle body

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom